Marathon Trainers

Week of 4/27 (Read 336 times)

Kimmie

Glad you were still able to get a run in, Lou. Dave, I do the same thing on treadmills- get bored and have to mix it up. I just checked results for the 5K in Frederick- Perry ran a 18:12- came in 3rd overall- but the 2nd place guy came in at 18:12 too- wonder how that worked- probably a great story. 2nd place guy is 14. I need to hear a race report on that one... he's blazing fast. I just set up an interview with a new gym around here.. I' m actually nervous... which is silly, I know.
    evanflein

Hope to hear a lot of good stuff about races later on! Really hoping for good news from Murphy... Nice work, Bugs! And yes, those small town races are annoying sometimes... we have a lot of that around here! Smile Yeah to Kimmie for getting out there in the rain and having a good time! I did run my 5k yesterday. By myself... DH and I were going to run/walk it together but he was stuck in Anchorage (missed his flight Friday night). So, I did it by myself. Took off in the back-of-the-pack with all the kids and moms/dads with strollers. I got passed by a woman pushing a stroller. But that's ok. I wasn't doing this for speed or time but to see how things felt on a level (mostly) course. Felt pretty good! Had one hard twinge when I stubbed my foot on a bump in the pavement so I stopped and stretched for a bit, walked a few steps then started jogging again. This was just before mile 2. Felt good enough after the river overpass that I increased speed a bit the last half mile. All systems felt pretty good. Finished in 27:51 which was better than I was hoping for (plan was around 30). Finished the day with almost 3 hours of yard work and dog$hit detail. Good lord there's a lot of that out there! Will do more of that today. I was concerned I'd be sore and have back problems from all the bending and stooping, but feel good today. We've had an unbelievable stretch of nice cloudless days, even broke some high temp records last week (I think it was 76 on Wednesday). Next week will be still nice but cooler, and that's fine. Will head to the gym/pool later for some pool running. But that's after an afternoon of more yard/house work.
        Ok now that I'm feeling half way well enough to type. Today didn't go so well. Had blood in my urine pre race (didn't think much of it since I didn't know that's what it was) Went out with the intentions of not pushing it hard but felt I could PR without too much effort. NOT today. I knew going into the race there was a chance my ankle would speak and I if it did I knew I would listen. My goal marathon is too freaken close to be stupid. Well around mile 8 or so I could feel it a tiny bit. More like it was tired. SLowed the pace down and payed more attention to my stride. Now throughout the race things were feeling off. I felt like I was going faster but I really wasn't. The effort it felt for this 1:51:49 was the about the same that I felt when I paced a friend last year to a 1:53 (she was looking to go sub 2). Anyway I get to the stadium and kick it into high gear passing alot of people with no problem feeling strong. Cross the finish line feeling great. Foot feels a bit tender in the arch area nothing major which made me happy. Anyway went to the restroom to get changed etc and again I've got ALOT of blood in my urine. It's bright orange. I go get a veggie sausage sandwich. Dh whisks me and the kids to the car (it's pouring). Half way home I feel like I wanna die. Pain and nausea was my "friend for most of the day today. I'm pissed cause I didn't run hard and yet my body has turned on me. I still have blood in my urine and if it's like that tomorrow will have to ge tto the doctors now instead of later. I've had alot of issue's that I've pushed aside since we really can't afford the doctors bills however it's getting clearer and clearer they can't I can't keep pushing my health issue's to the side much longer. *sigh* I don't even feel like I ran a half today.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Dave

I can't keep pushing my health issue's to the side much longer.
          Right. Hope you feel better Pam. Undecided

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Now that I'm feeling much better CAN"T wait to hear how Murphy and Shannon did!! Hurry up peeps and post some better reports than mine!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Right. Hope you feel better Pam. Undecided
              Thanks Dave! What sucks is we have no health insurance at the moment which is a first for us. Doesn't help that I put myself last and worry about everyone else even the pets first.

WTG on your 5k Bugs!! Glad you were able to do it without upsetting the hubby!

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Pam: Sorry to hear about the urine issues, and also about the lack of health insurance (that sucks). Erika: Congrats on getting out there, and having a good injury free one. And congrats on doing a lot of yardwork later -- if I do even one hour of yard stuff after running, I'm lazing out on the couch very shortly thereafter -- I'm not nearly as industrious as you clearly. Kim: I put a link to a fairly long race report in that sticky thread here titled race reports. I dueled that kid through all of mile 3, then I let him escape me coming to the stadium -- he got about 10 feet in front -- then when we hit the track I sprinted and just about caught him at the line -- .15sec time difference. I got our times from the timers, because they posted the times for everyone by age group, and those omitted the three overall winners and the three masters' winners. Silly to post everyone's times except 6 people. So I had to go find the timers and get my time, and I asked for his as well, so I'd see how close we were. The bonus of that is I got my time down to the hundredths (heh). MTA: In Frederick, rain held off all day Sat (had beautiful weather for that 5K) and even Sun morning. Finally about mile 10 it started sprinkling, then eventually was really raining, and I ran the rest and my extra 6mi in the rain. Was cold afterward -- kind of shivering eating my sausage afterward. Bugs: Congrats on nearly PR'ing on a time trial. I think I need the adrenalin and competition of a race to be able to push that hard; I don't think I have the interior fortitude to push without a race environment to help. Lou: First Sat was that night, so when I jogged back after the 5K, I found that gorgeous waterfront area built over the creek, and I hit La Dolce Vita and had soup and they gave me a corn muffin to go with it -- I figured that was great for carb-loading. Lots of people out in that downtown area for First Sat night -- very nice. Plus, altho I missed potential opportunities to get together with Lou, Kim, or Dave up there, Lou & Kim aren't leaving the area, and Dave has some insane idea for something in Michigan with a 13hr time limit that I just might get suckered into Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Am I getting this right? You're saying you were in the top three masters? If so, woo freaking hoo! (MTA: but you said in your race report 3:51 -- that wouldn't be top three so I'm not understanding something) Yeah we like our little town. I hope to see some team blister folk here next year, whether we run it or not. How'd you like Terra Firma? When you make the left turn up that hill you're about a mile from our house -- we're a bit further out on 144.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I was 25/84 in my age group in the mara. Heck, if I'd run my mara PR it would have only put me in 6/84, and there's no way I could run that speed on that course, with that killer second half. But I was 3OA in the 5K. I don't know where terra firma is. Google has some company named that, but google maps isn't working right now.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Hi, I finished. Thats about all I can say. I had no stamina. Mostly walked from mile 13 on. Im getting too old to run these things after injury/untrained.
                        evanflein

Aaaarrrgghhh! Oh well, Murphy at least you finished, right? That's more than I can say about my last marathon. If I don't run Royal Victoria in October, I'm coming down to pace you to a sub 4:30, ok?? 45 minutes of pool running tonight, after 3 hours of hard lawn/yard work. I tell ya, the pool felt so good after that. Did I ever tell you guys that we have a two acre lot, and half of it is lawn or yard?? Oy....
                            Hey, murphy - like Erika said, a finish is a finish. But that must have been disappointing to have to walk so far. Perry, Terra Firma is the left turn at mile 18, and up a big hill. I guess that means it wasn't so bad if you didn't remember it: http://www.frederickmarathon.org/Assets/2009+Frederick+Map.pdf . Way to go on the 3rd overall! 3.1 miles, 28:30, 9:04/mi, AHR 133 (68% MHR)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com