Marathon Trainers

Week of 4/21-4/27 (Read 229 times)

Hi Everyone!!! Ive been away and slacking way too long. I had mentioned before that I had a steady soreness in my back...well last Wednesday as I was sitting at my desk the pain shot up my back and my arms went numb, and I almost passed out at my desk. It was the worst pain ever. I was basically on the floor in my office, trying to reach for the phone to get some help. Managed to prop myself up..and get myself to the doctor. Was drugged up and in pain through early last week. Dr. thought it was muscular. Its better now..but I still have the general soreness if I sit still too long. I am going to get out tonight and run for the first time since my 15k a couple weeks ago. Still planning on doing the 1/2 marathon with my training partner in 2 weeks. I dont think a 2:00:00 is in the cards, unfortunately. I am looking forward to the September marathon and getting geared up for that. Hope all is well, I will now go catch up on the last thread.

Beer Drinker

erica did awesome, 3:39:48. she finished right infront my friend enrique, 3:39:34 i injured my knee this weekend 8 miles into my run. had to limp out two miles. i have no idea what i did, it just started hurting out of the blue. it feels like patella tendonitis..strange though no advance warning. just started hurting really bad, right away. going to ortho at lunch, but my race on may 10th is not looking likely.
      Start off easy, then slow down.

Bugs

OMG, what an amazing two days of running. First Deena, favored to win but still SHE's my girl. I have cheered for her before I was a runner. Loved watched the women's Boston race. Was going for RUS girl because she smiled during the race. Think the last turn lost her the race. Amazing race. The girl, Tune that won, only 22 years old, quite a career ahead of her. Then the Kenyan (?name) almost passed all the girls. Wows, that's unreal with a 25 minute lead the guys still have a huge advantage over even the elite femaile athletes. Amazing. What a day!! PR at Boston seemed to be the thing to do. Erika, WOW!!!! I can't believe it. You are the girl I want to be. Amazing. My Doc ran 3:03, a PR by four minutes. My friend who ran 100 miles weeks for this ran a 3:17 a PR by 2 minutes. What a fun day to be the cheerleader. All the Boston runners were just amazing, a great inspiration. Can't wait to hear about it. I watched these races and feel like burning my swimsuit and bike. Nothing against tri-dudes, but I just want to run more than ever. Murphy, Owe, glad you went to doctor. Don't be afraid of taking extra rest, need you back healthy. Salad, Oh no! What did doc say? 5 miles at 9 min pace at lunch.

Bugs

Bugs

DH is very TIRED of me retelling every detail of the Boston Marathon. He'll get even during football season I'm afraid.

Bugs

Oh Mighty Wing

Bugs - you can tell me all about it because I missed it! Will have to go look it up on the internet I guess! (no cable for us) Salad - Oh no!!! Hope the doc had good news! Murphy - glad you went to the doc! so does it not hurt when you run? Erika - YOU ARE THE WOMAN!!!
            higa

Dragged myself out of bed this morning for a 5 k but ended up doing 7, felt quite good and upped that pace in the last 2 ks. Eeeek reading Salad and Murphys logs, i'm not sure i want to stick around here, maybe this injury thing in infectious. But seriously, really sorry to read about things. I must admit as the count down begins (6 weeks til marathon) i am getting more and more nervous about injuring myslef or catching a cold. Have to do 19k tomorrow, i'm not used to doing high miles during the week - getting up at 5.30 is not fun. What time do most of you run - am or pm? I find it hard to come home and get motivated to go out so get it over in the morning.
              Cashmason

Murph and Salad, Sorry you guys are hurting. Another great run by Erika. Am happy for her, since its probably her last out of state marathon for a while.

Bugs

Higa, We have to keep things fair and take turns being injured. Just kidding. That's a big distance for mid-week. What's your weather like? Did aerobics tonight, squats, arm curls, lunges, ab workout, all good stuff. In the past this has been the best XTing for my running. A light workout for running muscles, but hits everything else. Felt really good to have enough energy to do two workouts, but this workout use to be much easier for me.

Bugs

evanflein

erica did awesome, 3:39:48. she finished right infront my friend enrique, 3:39:34
                    Ahem... ok, correction here... official time was 3:38:48... way beyond my wildest expectations. My "official" goal was 3:45... my "sekrit" goal that I only told a couple people was 3:40... so 3:38:48 is pretty damn cool! It was a lot hotter than I was expecting, no rain, hardly any clouds and not enuf wind (was counting on that to cool us down!). I did put sunscreen on my face and neck, but since we were running into the sun I didn't think to put it on my shoulders (didn't bring whole body sunscreen anyway), so got a pretty good burn on my shoulders/arms. But an 11 minute PR is nothing to sneeze at, and I'm pretty pumped about it. I'll do a full RR later this week when I get back to town. Good running guys. Salad, don't get hurt!!! Hi Murphy! Welcome back! Get your butt in gear, friend!

Dave

I'm in awe Erica Big grin What a fantastic time!!! You've gotta be so proud!!

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Oh Mighty Wing

Dave - i was just thinking the same thing! Higa - I run afternoon while school is in session (I'm a teacher). My trick for getting my runs done is not going home first. So I change at work and head out the door from there. Bugs - that workout does sound nice!! I really need to get to the gym more. Right now i'm at 2x a week and i'd really like to be at 3.
                          What time do most of you run - am or pm? I find it hard to come home and get motivated to go out so get it over in the morning.
                          When it's cooler outside I usually run in the evenings. But, Tulsa summers are brutal so I'm about to switch to mornings, which means about a 4:30 alarm for me. I actually enjoy that, but need a good reason (like 100 degree afternoons) to get my lazy rear out of bed. I actually started doing mornings when I started LHR training last summer. There was just no way I was keeping my HR in the low 150s when it was so hot. As it was, I was running 13 minute miles for a while in the morning because it was still in the upper 70s some days. Long explanation to a short question, sorry. Still on the taper, just under 2 weeks to go. My legs are starting to feel pretty good and I can tell that I'm going to be half insane next week from the drop in miles. Oh well, I'm sure it will pay off the last 10k or so. I find myself looking at the accuweather forecast (the only one I've found that goes out 15 days). How stupid is that? They usually can't predict the weather out 2 days here, and I'm looking 12 days out. -Brian

Bugs

Erika, Hope you're having fun. I saw how windy it was, the flags were flapping. Really did look like a scenic course. Did you get to watch the women's trials? Higa, Morning runs never work for me during the week. In the summer it gets tough, but I stay in the trees or run at dusk. I like to change the time I run throughout the year, keeps life intereting. Brian, I would be checking weather the same. I get so obsessive I start checking the weather for everybody else's races too, but forget to check the weather for my run. That's stupid. The pressure in my ear is a PITA, but dang I feel good.

Bugs

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Murphy - what did the doc say about the pain/numbness? Hoping it's no big deal. Salad - take care of the knee. it's one of the worst places you can get injured. Higa - always nice to be able to go a bit longer just beause you're feeling good. The next 6 weeks are gonna be gone before you know it. I'm an early morning runner 80% of the time, feet on the ground running by about 4:45. Sometimes for the medium/long runs of more than 10 miles I'll negotiate an evening run. Husker - enjoy the taper madness and be thankful nobody has a 30 day forecast - you'd be there very 90 seconds for a month. Erika - you're a stud! Plain and simple. What an awesome race. You've got some serious skills and should be awesomely prod of yourself. I'm impressed. Still fighting off the last of this stupid illness. I can run up to about 5 miles and when I stop get a horrible couging fit. Last night's run was as good as its been and the post run coughing fit passed more quickly than it has in the past so there's some improvement. I'm taking it one day at a time, doing what I can. I haven't written Bayshore off yet, but it's not looking too promising.

Bugs

Inertia, You might want to go to doctor if your coughing a lot. I went back and got put on steroids. 2 days - done coughing. Magic.

Bugs