Marathon Trainers

Week of 9/13/2010 (Read 148 times)

Yes, that is really fast, Bugs!

17 for me this morning: 17.2 miles, 2:37:52, 9:11/mi, AHR 147 (72% MHR)

Very nice day to run today.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Bugs

Nice run Lou!

I need to head-out. Spent the morning fighting with teachers. Trying to get the school to adopt a policy that "Do not reward students with food that does not meet other school nutrional requirements." Before school started I spoke with my son's teacher that we are working on his weight. Trust me he has extra. What does she do, reward him with a donut for returning his planner signed each day that week. And she's the health teacher! All around (daycare, grandparents, school) it is very hard to get real support on this subject. It is easier and more fun to feed the kids garbage.

Bugs

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

The health teacher giving out junk food -- that's comic but still sad.

Congratulations on the overall placement, Bugs!

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

I told Harriet about this and we were both outraged.

For goodness sake, what are we teaching our children these days?

I hope this really wasn't much of a fight, as the school should just say, "yes, you're right -- this won't happen again"

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Cashmason

Congrats on the fast race Bugs.   Glad to see you posting again.

Bugs

I told Harriet about this and we were both outraged.

For goodness sake, what are we teaching our children these days?

I hope this really wasn't much of a fight, as the school should just say, "yes, you're right -- this won't happen again"

Lou thank you so much for your support. The teacher responded with "I rarely do this".  She did not promise not to do it again, although I think she knows my feelings now. I'm still going after the principle having a policy on food-rewards. I look around and my kid and other kids are fat.  I had to buy my DS bigger pants in the waist. What do I do when the huskies don't fit? Thank God this got my husbands attention, as you really need both parents on board to change eating lifestyle at home. I'm determined to turn the situation around for my son, he's just 9. When I talk to my friends with kids they are worried too, but too worried about their own weight, lacking time resources to do anything about it, or just plain feel like it is out of their control to do anything about. It's really sad.

Bugs

Kimmie

I just have to comment on this and then I'll go post on the weekly thread.

I can't even believe that this happened.  Like Lou and Harriet, I was also outraged.   Our school follows the healthy eating plan as much as possible.

Such a hard thing to know how to help our kids in regards to eating... I have girls and I want to keep them mindful without making them crazy about it or controlling them too much.

I think you are setting a really good example for him, Bugs.