Marathon Trainers

Week of 8/9/2010 (Read 191 times)

theyapper

On the road again...

New week.  I kicked it off with 45 minutes of recovery running.  Nice.  Easy.  Felt good.  Got oh so close to 40 miles last week, and maybe this week I'll top it.  Who knows?

Hope everyone runs well.  We're all one week closer to the fall! 

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Nice week, Paul.

3 recovery miles for me this morning.  Boy were my legs tired.  Also the humidity is back -- really glad it wasn't there over the weekend, though.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Cashmason

Pace,  that is one huge trophy for your daugther.

Erika,  Running on river rocks sounds like a good way to sprain an ankle.    Blueberries sound really good though.

Tell Peter, I will be up there to help you eat them.

Went for 3 mile run yesterday.  G/f asked me to stop by the house and take the dog for the last mile of the run.

First 2 miles went well,  easy pace was about 9:10  and was expectping around 9 :30.

Got the dog.  She ran slowly and when we got a quarter mile from the house and the dog plopped her butt on the ground and refused to move any further.    Headed back toward home and she was in full out sprint mode.

G/f had been gone for a couple of days, and the dog could not wait to get back home and be with her.

Or the dog is just a homebody like mine.  When my dog gets more than 1/2 mile from our house she gets really anxious and wants to go back.  I decided to stop running with her because of this.  I think it got worse as she got older.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

evanflein

Sounds like a barn sour horse! I've had a couple of those... My dog used to do that too though. Just act like she's dying and can't go another step. Turn around and zooom! Off we go.

This week is my second attempt at a 50+ mile week ending with a 20 miler. Hopefully it'll go better than the first attempt. Sunday is also the Humpy's Marathon in Anchorage... I'd originally wanted to run this as a training run, but between last minute airfare and entry, it's probably out of reach. Would be nice to have a fully supported long run though.

Hope to hear from our Viaduct 100 ladies soon!

Kimmie

Ran a really slow 6 miles this morning.  Hard to know how much the slower pace is due to the heat, or loss of fitness.

Good to get out and sweat, nonetheless.

Great running, everybody!   

Cashmason

Yay for getting out there Kimmie.

Barn sour horse?  New one on me.   I know about horses heading  back to the barn,  which is what Mutt Mutt pretty much did.

And yes Lou,  I am close to giving up on running with this dog.   May try again sometime when g/f isn't home.

Hope Pam is doing well.

theyapper

On the road again...

Good job on the run, Kimmie.

I've also never heard any expression about sour horses in a barn.  Doesn't sound very appetizing.

So, in the "oh, crap - Phew!" category, I just realized that if I'm following the Hal Higdon Intermediate 2 marathon plan, that I was supposed to run 3 miles today.  TODAY!  That snuck up on me, and caused the "oh, crap" moment.  Then I realized that I did over 4 this morning and then over 3 with the XC team, so I relaxed.  Phew.

I feel like I've had such a good base building phase, that the start of a fall marathon training plan really took me by surprise.  I can't believe the race is 18 weeks away already.  Is 18 weeks too long for a plan?  I feel clueless.

Paul

evanflein

Paul, the Hal Higdon Intermediate plans usually don't have Monday runs? I didn't think so, but haven't looked in awhile. And 18 weeks is a pretty standard plan, but that's starting from ground zero.

I guess this was a rest day. I had a moose go thru my garden this morning, so I covered it with plastic before I went to work, then really surveyed the damage tonight. It was a young moose, an orphan most likely, and just went through the beets (trampling and pulling up more than eating) and nipped the chard and broccoli. Dumbass moose. I haven't had a problem with moose for a couple years, and this was a "warning" more than a real disaster. But an overnight visit by a moose (or worse, a cow with a calf or two) can wipe out an entire summer's worth of work... Whew!

Dave

18 weeks is pretty standard.  With your base, Paul, you could shorten a bit and be fine.  For me, it centered mostly on the long runs (2 or 3 x 20 milers with cut back weeks) and having enough supporting mileage to support those long runs.

Loving those moose stories.  Need pictures if possible.

Way to get out there Kim.

I had a weak mileage weekend.  OK, technically speaking I didn't run at all but I did get a couple of bike rides in with the family.  After all the travel last week, I needed some recovery.

Forced myself out in the humid soup last night for a hard 5.  Looked like rain from the first step but never actually opened up.  2 mile warmup, 2 miles @ 7:50 pace, 1 mile cooldown.  Again, technically, it's not a cool down if you don't actually cool down.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

theyapper

On the road again...

Moose?  Wow.  Like Dave said, pics would be cool (or a hidden camera video which could go viral and make you millions).

You're right, Erika, about the HH plans not having runs on Mondays, but my Sundays can get fairly busy and so I bump the plan back a day, so Sunday is my Monday.

Got 5 in this morning.  It was huuuummmiidddd.

Paul

evanflein

I tried to get a picture this morning, but the camera had no batteries! Damn, where are those when you need them in a hurry?? The moose was back, he's nice enough to wait until we're up and around at least. DH went out on the deck and yelled at him and he ran off into the brush a ways. Then started coming back slowly. So DH went out in the yard, in his bathrobe, brandishing a long 2x4 and yelling at the stoopid moose. It stopped and looked at him, most curious about this critter yelling at him. After a bit of a standoff, DH ran at him waving the board and the moose turned and ran away. Damage: some beans and carrots pulled up and ruined... Grrr! And I only had a little bit of sheeting left to cover this part. Need to get more tonight on the way home.

DS1 is home on moose watch, but I'm sure he's forgotten all about it. I can see him sitting in the house, surfing around on his computer or playing xBox... and the moose happily munching away just yards from the kitchen window. Hmph.

I like Dave's description: weak mileage weekend, meaning no running at all. Think I'll try that one sometime...

Got out for 5.4 miles of the trails today. Ran the ultra extension for the Equinox... that sure is a nice run. A really nice way to wrap up a tough race, that's for sure.

Cashmason

6 miles on the treadmill at an easy pace, which is the longest run I have done this year.    Sad.

Then 0.3 miles at 12 percent incline just to chew up some time until it was time to leave.

theyapper

On the road again...

3 miles this morning.  Still trying to find my way toward a consistent easy pace.

Paul

Dave

3 miles this morning.  Still trying to find my way toward a consistent easy pace.

I think the answer is called Fall.  Way to get out there.  Will wait to run until tonight when it cools off a little.  It's hot here in MI so I can only imagine NC.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com