Marathon Trainers

Week of 8/9/2010 (Read 191 times)

Yes, I'm running relatively slowly, too:

11.1 miles, 1:43:36, 9:19/mi, AHR 149 (73% MHR) - hot (72°), humid (91%, dew point 70°), hilly

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Kimmie

It's hot here.....

Ran last night, my usual tempo run with my running group-   but it was slow- and when I say slow, I mean 11:00 pace.

My group has tons of fast people, a few in the 10-11 range and not very many in between.  So, lately, I have run with the people in the 10-11 range.  It's been nice.  I am getting to know new people and taking it easy.  

What's funny is that I  "sped" up for the way back and looked at my watch and saw 9:20..... wow, I'm really flying.  Smile

But if FELT that way.

Ok, whining over now.

Erika- I'm with the others that a moose sighting has to be something to see.  My word.  I live in a very suburban area- townhouse- no backyard-  no wildlife to speak of.

I can't even imagine having to do moose watching duty.  But I know you enjoy your garden.

evanflein

I do like my garden. It's bigger this year than in past years, crammed more stuff in there. I didn't take a picture of it this year, but here's last year's garden, I think from end of July:

This year the beans and carrots are down at the lower end, where the broccoli and potatoes were last year. Seems to be easy access for the damn moose. I did put batteries in the camera though, so ready for the next raid.

How'd the 6 miler feel, Cash?

Anybody hear from Pam or Amanda?

Today is a planned "run home from work" day, so will be good for about 10 miles of rolling hills.

evanflein

And here's moose... obviously not a concern at this time of year (10-27-2007) taken from my kitchen window.

Dave

Anybody hear from Pam or Amanda?

Today is a planned "run home from work" day, so will be good for about 10 miles of rolling hills.

Ahem.  Those of us on FB know how they did.

Pam decided to curtain at 50 miles but it sounds like she ran very well. 

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

What's so shiny by Pam's hands?

3 miles.  Sluggish again.  76°, dew point 70°, rel humidity 78%.  Lightning throughout run, got serious with wind, and much closer at very end, and started raining.

Poor Harriet got caught in it.  I reminded her that Newport was worse (except there was no lightning, which was a bit scary).

theyapper

On the road again...

Trying to outrun lightning isn't much fun.

Semi-rest day for me.  No training run, but XC later this afternoon with my boys.

Like about 75% of the people in our area, I'm struggling through a head cold.  Bleh.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Kimmie

Speaking of lightning,   I was supposed to go the track but storm was here- so I headed to the gym instead.

Ran 1/2 mile repeats- in the 8:20 range-  did 5 of them.   Felt really good.  That's weird that I seem to have a bad running day and then a good one.

Ah well... patience.

Sorry you're sick, Paul.  How're you liking the XC?    I'm looking forward to coaching Girls on the Run again this Fall.  Although Darby said today, that she doesn't really like running.   What?  That's not good.

Gorgeous, Erika~  I wish I had that in my backyard!

Dave

Nice intervals Kim. I had my best run in a very log time. 7.5 miles at a nice easy pace. I used my HRM to keep my pace in check and felt great afterwards.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

theyapper

On the road again...

5 mile marathon pace run - probably too fast cause I don't see myself holding that pace for 21 more miles.    But, in 40 degree weather, you never know.  Maybe I'll surprise myself.

Glad it's Friday.  This has been a long week.

Kim - looks like you're coming back strong.  I know you're glad.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Good runs -- it's good to see some of us running fast Smile

Me, not so much.  13.2 miles 2:02 (9:18/mi)

Dave

5 mile marathon pace run - probably too fast cause I don't see myself holding that pace for 21 more miles.    But, in 40 degree weather, you never know.  Maybe I'll surprise myself.

Nice run, Paul.  This is where I've found the HRM to be helpful.  From lots of practice, I have a good idea where my HR needs to be for me to sustain a particular pace.  If I can hold a pace and keep my HR from creeping up much, I'm generally OK. 

Once the HR starts climbing, particularly over 155 or so (this will be different for each person), it's the beginning of the end or at least I'll have to slow down.

Don't know if you have a 305 or a 205 but if you've got the 305, you may be able to add the HR strap and get more insight into how your body is responding.

If you check my run from yesterday, I intentionally slowed down to keep under my "easy" HR (about 143).  I had to slow down significantly to keep it there and it ensured that I ran my easy run easy for a change.  You can tell from the data that I'm in pretty poor condition because I started some HR creep at basically the same pace (although I did speed up just slightly).  Still, I finished feeling fresh and ready to go.

Awesome mid-week run, Lou.  That looks pretty fast for a longish run to me. 

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Cashmason

Awesome pictures Erika !

The 6 mile run was ok.   Felt a little fatigued at the end,  which is disappointing, as that used to be a nothing run for me before.

Have to remember where I am now,  not where I was.

Thanks, Dave.  Normally I'd target runs of this length for MP+20% (first 5 miles), MP+15% (middle miles), MP+10% (last 5 miles), or actually bit faster.  For me that is about 9:15, 8:55, 8:30, giving average about 8:45/mi.  But I just haven't been able to run fast at all with the weather as it is.

I agree watching HR is a good metric of how you are doing.  I doubly agree that everyone has their own metrics for this, and you can't compare the absolute heart rate between people.  For instance, you mention that when you hit 155 or so, the effort is getting out of hand, but for me 155-165 is about the right rate when I'm running a marathon.

I forgot to comment on Erika's garden -- beautiful!  Is there any way to keep the moose out?  I'm sure you have spent a lot of time thinking about this -- what size fence would be needed?

Dave

I agree watching HR is a good metric of how you are doing.  I doubly agree that everyone has their own metrics for this, and you can't compare the absolute heart rate between people.  For instance, you mention that when you hit 155 or so, the effort is getting out of hand, but for me 155-165 is about the right rate when I'm running a marathon.

I'd have to dig up my last marathon to see how my HR correlated with race pace.  I think I'm right at the low end of the range that you mentioned.

More important than the number is whether it is steady at a given pace or rising.  Once it starts rising, that tends to be the indicator that I'm in trouble.

On the training pace, I've been trying to talk myself into running long runs easier.  For me that means closer to 70% of my MHR or about 143, with a little creep upwards towards the end.  I tend to get out there and run harder than I should and maybe am not building the endurance I need. 

MTA: First 15 miles of my race at Glass City.  I was doing OK through about 7 (AHR 161).  Then it started climbing and when I hit 170, I had to back off.  It was a hot day. 

Mile 1 8:16.87 150
                                Mile 2 7:56.22 160
                                Mile 3 7:54.24 161
                                Mile 4 7:51.99 164
                                Mile 5 7:51.81 163
                                Mile 6 8:01.24 161
                                Mile 7 7:58.39 161
                                Mile 8 7:51.57 163
                                Mile 9 7:57.22 165
                                Mile 10 8:02.81 167
                                Mile 11 7:58.91 167
                                Mile 12 7:55.89 167
                                Mile 13 8:02.43 168
                                Mile 14 8:10.98 167
                                Mile 15 8:12.97 170

dgb2n@yahoo.com