Marathon Trainers

Week of 12/14 (Read 238 times)

Where is everyone?

Tough recovery run this morning -- harder than the HR would seem to indicate.  My legs and other parts feel creaky from yesterday's run.  A 15 miler shouldn't be that tough.

3.1 miles, 28:35, 9:05/mi, AHR 134 (65% MHR)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Pretty much the same for me. Very sore at start of recovery this morning, and shuffling along in pain. Crystal couldn't keep up, b/c it was too slow, so she did out & back. She observed that my form looked weird. I tried to speed up into normal form, and decided that was fine -- it hurt about the same at each footstep no matter what pace, so may as well keep up with her for the rest, so I did that.

It's paying off now, as now I can walk downstairs without having to turn sideways and step gingerly for each step. I can even let go of the bannister when walking downstairs now. (But I only did that to test; I went back to my routine practice, which is to always run a hand down the bannister anyway, just in case.)

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Heal well Perry! CONGRATS on the new PR as well!!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

I'm here. I'm pretty sure I know what is going on with my foot. I'm pretty sure (like 99%) that it's metatarsalgia. I've known for a while (pretty sure the losing both big toenails more than once was a dead give away) that  I've been wearing shoe's that are too small in the toebox however they weren't causing me any "real" issue's so didn't bother doing anything about it. NEVER AGAIN! Anyway looks like this is something I can run through however it may take awhile to heal. Erika is this something you've dealt with??

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Ringmaster

Wow. Some very good running going on this week--by everyone but me.

Erika, so glad to hear your foot is feeling okay. Perry, congrats on the 50k. That's so cool that they were cool with you running the race. Hey, goes to show that the personal touch still rules! Pam, are you feeling better? I hope someone can offer advice with your foot--all my pain is always in my knees, so I can't help there.

Went to the doc on Friday; she said it sounds like overtraining to her but she agreed to run all manner of tests to rule out anything else. So on Saturday we did a blood draw and urine sample; I hope I get some answers before we board a plane for Honduras on Saturday. This weekend we were swamped--the whole family was playing Bethlehem villagers in our church's re-creation of the Nativity, so Friday, Saturday and Sunday were very late nights and I haven't been running at all.

But . . . here's what I realized. I probably won't run in Honduras, between family schedules and safety issues, and once I return the last Florida marathon is only nine weeks away. Considering what my mileage and pace have been lately, it seems too little time to run a PR effort, and I don't want to just run my next marathon easy. So I think there'll be no marathon for me this spring. Makes me a little bit of a poser on the board, I guess.

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
            Mile by Mile

Dave

Vixi, please don't forget that I am the resident poser on this board.  .

With that travel schedule, you just have to do what you can.  I'm already questioning my ability to run a decent marathon next spring.  I may have to settle for running a decent half until this job lets up a little (or I gain the self discipline to run early in the morning).

Sorry to hear about your metatarsalgia, Pam.

Probably won't get to run today.  I've got tickets to a hockey game tonight and I'm bringing DD11.  Tomorrow is tough too with travel (again) and a funeral for an employee.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Hail to The Victors!

Perry, yeah,  you're right.  I also think a trail 50K is the way to go.  Someday....

12 easy today. with 18 weeks til Boston, I'll finally cap 60 this week (hopefully).  About damn time.

Kimmie

Hey-

I don't want to hear about any posers.   We all have real lives that we try to fit running into...    Wish I could offer some sage advice to Pam and Vixi-   I'll just say, hang in there and I know it will get better.

I have a question for you guys.....

I think I will plan to pace my cousin at the Myrtle Beach marathon in February.   He has run a 4:55 and wants to run a 4:30.  I wonder how a pacing effort works.  Do I train my normal way and then pacing should feel like a piece of cake?  And that's a little over 2 months before Boston, so I need to get on the stick for training and hope that my recovery is really good.

Hang in there, too, Dave with work stuff.

No running for me today-   two sick girls who turned out not to be too sick.  Smile

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I'm no expert, so take any of my suggestions with several grains of salt, but I'd suggest you keep typical long runs (subject to your take on the whole argument elsewhere on RA that going 3+hrs isn't worthwhile), but not worry about speedwork (eg, MP finish runs) -- at least assuming the actual pace you'll go at is an easy one for you.

evanflein

No posers here. We all do what we can and fit in what works.

Pam, that's exactly what I deal with. I know mine was aggravated by years of working retail (on my feet all day) mostly in heels, mostly too narrow. Take care of it now before it becomes chronic. Believe me, I know what I'm talking about.

30 minutes elliptical at noon, planning on a 30 minute pool run after work. Thinking an easy approach, maybe even just running every other day for awhile. I really want to be able to do good solid runs in January with peak mileage in March, so I need to be extra careful now so I don't backslide (again).

Kim - since you're training for Boston anyway, I'd train the normal way.  Then the 4:30 will just be a slow long run for you.  But I'm no expert, either.

9.1 miles, 1:13:40, 8:04/mi, AHR 161 (78% MHR)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I paced Crystal at Baltimore. I was going to just train with her, but then I got into that ChesapeakeMan relay, so I had a goal marathon two weeks before. I tried to adjust my schedule to aim at that -- primarily, tried to run longer sooner, b/c I would drop off for taper before she did -- and then ran hers as a long run two weeks after mine. So I guess I really just trained my normal way.

The mara was certainly easier for me because of the slower pace (than my goal ones), but OTOH, it was still *plenty* tiring, plus it was running for a longer period of time (b/c of the slower pace).

Kimmie

Easy 4 miler this morning.

Thanks for the input.  I think I will only adjust in that I will make sure that I get enough long runs in to be able to run this pace with him.   4:30 is not that much slower than what I've been running... so it's not like it will be a walk in the park.  I will need to train.

Doc appointment tomorrow to make sure fatigue is nothing major.

Ringmaster

Thanks for all the encouragement, Team. I'm being hard on myself, I know, but it's hard to let go of the dream of getting closer to 4 hours soon.

Kimmie, I obviously have no advice about how to pace someone, still trying to learn to pace myself. I'm waiting for results on my tests and hope we'll both get some answers.

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                              Mile by Mile

No posers here. We all do what we can and fit in what works.

Pam, that's exactly what I deal with. I know mine was aggravated by years of working retail (on my feet all day) mostly in heels, mostly too narrow. Take care of it now before it becomes chronic. Believe me, I know what I'm talking about.

30 minutes elliptical at noon, planning on a 30 minute pool run after work. Thinking an easy approach, maybe even just running every other day for awhile. I really want to be able to do good solid runs in January with peak mileage in March, so I need to be extra careful now so I don't backslide (again).

THAT is why I should have known better. Spent way too many years in customer service (in retail so always on feet plus I worked in  the vault and the floor was cement) . so I had already had issue's from heels. Anyway sorry you're having to deal with it as well. 

Sounds like a good plan!