Marathon Trainers

Week of 12/14 (Read 238 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I've heard people say blood loss has impact on your high end, so it's better to avoid really high intensity stuff (eg, racing) for a couple days -- I think I read it takes several days for your body to fully recover from blood donation. So maybe don't push the hills too hard, or at least be gentle on yourself if they make you tired?

I finally lanced a blister, b/c I was getting tired of my toe hurting most of the time. Blister was under the toenail, and didn't seem to be in any hurry to pop & drain. So I found some isopropyl 90+% alcohol to sterilize a safety pin with (um, I'm a runner, so what I found for a pin is a safety pin - heh), and then also ran hot water over it. Very little fluid came out, so I was disappointed, but then in the next 20min or so, the pain eased away, so apparently it drained enough -- which is great. I was tired of my toe hurting, plus it made me feel silly -- "my toe hurts" -- I feel silly saying that.

Normally I don't lance blisters b/c I've read that can help incur infection, but I noticed in a book someone loaned me recently, full of ultrarunners' stories, that they seem to take it as routine to treat blisters at aid stations.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Those GA runs do you go by heart rate or effort?

Well, mostly I go by pace.  This morning before I went out, I told myself that 8:30 is good, so it wouldn't be too daunting, but I really prefer to run these at 8:15 or better.  So I watch the pace, to keep it fast, but I feel for the lactic flush to which I respond by slowing down.  This really only happens on one hill (I don't even know if walking it would prevent that flush), and it takes 1/2 mile or so for the effects of the hill to go away.

I lance my blisters as soon as I notice them.  I used to be more careful about infection, but now use whatever safety pin I can find.  Sometimes I'll remember to put alcohol on the pin.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

What's a GA run?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Dave

What's a GA run?

I assumed it was "God Awful" based on that average heart rate .

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

I lance mine as well and haven't really paid much attention to what I do it with (ever since my first 50 last year). So far no infection. The blisters I've been getting have been under my big toes and OMG if I don't lance them  LOTS of pain.

Anyway I'm feeling MOSTLY recovered from my cold. Still had a sinus headache today but no more sneezing, coughing and stuffiness is gone. Poor dh is another story. This cold has hit him hard. Running is going pretty well. I found some 3/4 orthotics that seem to be helping. No numbness in the last 2 runs and no "real" pain. Working out is going GREAT! It's been awhile since I've been in this sort of groove with my weight lifting.  I took yesterday off of running since I had legs planned last night. Until my foot is completely healed I'm trying not to do legs AND running on the same day though I'm sure it will happen at least once before it's healed.

Hope everyone is having a nice week! Oh I am really thinking of doing a 5k this weekend. I can't expect any better than a tempo run. I'll make final decision day of race. Did a fast mile today and didn't hurt so I think I should be fine if I don't push it.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Kimmie

I don't know if my tiredness at the end of the hill workout was because I haven't run hill repeats in awhile or from the blood loss.

EWWW..... lancing blisters.... you guys are better than I am.  I can barely handle doing that.  And how do you lance a blister that's under your toe?

Glad you're feeling better, Pam.

Could be a little of both Kimmie.  As far as how to lance a blister under a toe (I meant to say toenail)? Easy stick  a stick pin underneath.

Thanks Kimmie! 

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

What's a GA run?

Dave: What was wrong with my heartrate?

Anyway GA = general aerobic, a Pfitzinger term, meaning a steady run at a good pace, slower than lactic threshold (tempo).  I figure it means about MP+5% to MP+10%

Dave

Dave: What was wrong with my heartrate?

Nothing.  For me, a HR 160 run is a pretty hard effort, particularly over that distance.  It was a good hard workout and I was jealous .

4 and a little change for me tonight.  I'm a little embarrassed to admit this, but it was my first real cold weather run outside this winter.  Tights, two layers on top, hat and gloves.  Felt nice but I pushed the pace a bit since it was dark.  And relatively cold.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

evanflein

Ha, I like that. "Relatively cold" is a good term. What I think is IRC in the winter would probably stop a lot of folks in their tracks, or at least at the door.

I feel like a blimp.

Ringmaster

Ew, lancing blisters. I've been reading Pam Reed's autobiography and she talks about lancing a huge blister after Badwater. I suppose with blisters come with ultra territorry, huh? I've had little ones but never anything that caused me major pain, or maybe I'd have to take matters into my own hands too.

Meant to do 6 yesterday and ended up doing 5, with my new slow speed, my easy runs are taking way too long! Then this morning I ran with a friend, and it was amazing how easy my old 9:40 pace felt with her along. Maybe I am just overtrained . . . the dr who ordered the bloodwork is out of town until Wednesday so no "official" answers for me until I get back.

For those of you in northern climes, when do you see your worst weather? Seems like there's such great running going on in here!

Modified to correct mileage. I might only hit 18 miles this week but I'm definitely clinging to every one of 'em!

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                        Mile by Mile

Nothing.  For me, a HR 160 run is a pretty hard effort, particularly over that distance.  It was a good hard workout and I was jealous .

Yeah, you can't look at the raw numbers -- have to compare to max heart rate.  For me 160 is right in the middle of marathon pace 155-165, so it was a bit of a tough run because I think my MP should be maybe a bit faster than that.  I think my max HR is about 204 because at my last 5K I had a 30-40 second average about there near the end of the race.  Now that was a "pretty hard effort" Smile

Kimmie

Dave-  good work on getting out there!

Erika, sorry, but what's IRC???

Vixi- Again, it sounds like you and I are at the same place....

And all this talk of HR training has me really excited about what I think I got for Christmas.... a Garmin 305???  maybe?

Ok, totally not running related post....  I've been leading a children's choir and practicing for the Christmas musical that's supposed to be on Sunday.  We've been working way too many hours for the past few months.  I just found out it's supposed to snow 10 inches on Saturday which may derail the whole thing.  

evanflein

Kim, IRC = Ideal Running Conditions... varies according to season, of course.

I wasn't going to run this morning, but since tomorrow is iffy I didn't want to take the chance of two days off in a row -- not sure why...

A pi run for me this morning.  HR a bit high, not sure about that.  RHR has been maybe 7-10 beats high too.  I think this new BP medicine might be doing it but of course I have no evidence.

3.14 miles, 29:12, 9:18/mi, AHR 138 (67% MHR)