Marathon Trainers

Week of 5/30/11 (Read 290 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Which race is close to Kim? Santonio or Mankato? I didn't follow.

I had two good races last weekend - 10miler on Sat and 5miler on Sun, and developed my new tactic of dumping water over my head at water stops at the ten-miler, then added the new tactic of pre-soaking my shirt at the 5-miler. So my heat tactics are developing very well.

Another race tomorrow morning, then a tri on Sat morning, then I'm pondering a 10K on Sun, just for the fun of tripling, even though it's a weird mix of non-standard races.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Happy Camper

Think I'll just stand in the shower pre-race Saturday with all my running stuff on.  I keep telling myself how bad can it get with a race that starts at 7:00 and I'll finish before 9:00?  Dead

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I'm sure you'll feel great. At 7:15 at least Smile

Bugs

Perry,

Wear a sports bra next time, a great ice container.

Bugs

Bugs

Another race tomorrow morning, then a tri on Sat morning, then I'm pondering a 10K on Sun, just for the fun of tripling, even though it's a weird mix of non-standard races.

u are nuts! Go Perry!

Bugs

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Perry,

Wear a sports bra next time, a great ice container.

That would probably be a huge competitive advantage. I mean, not only would it keep me cool, but more importantly, all my competition laying about on the ground laughing til they coughed, would be much less competitive.

How'd you go? 1:44:00..

Hey, everyone.  Speaking of races, I ran a 5K this morning.  Finished in 21:32, only good enough for 5th place (I think) in the 50-59 division.  Harriet placed first in her division, also 50-59.  I think the fast guys are still running and the fast women must stop after a while.  The first guy in my division ran 18:59, and there were 28 seconds separating 2nd thru 5th.  I shoulda run faster!  Smile

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

theyapper

On the road again...

Hope the Saturday was good for everyone.  Went out at Lou-time to run a bit more than 11 miles and was pleasantly surprised by temps in the upper 50s.  Made the run much more fun than I was expecting.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Happy Camper

Nice time Gen!  It did get warm.  For me it was the race that almost never was.  I had my bib in the race guide so I wouldn't bend it during the expo.(transmitter was on the back)  Lay it down to pay for some stuff and walked off without it.  I was fortunate  the guys at the booth found it, checked it out and turned it in instead of just tossing another discarded guide.  I ran a fairly even split  chip time of 1:52:28.  Not nearly the 1:48 I ran in March but it was a different day.  Very glad this was a half instead of a full.  I had some  fierce swelling again during the race and then worse in the afternoon when we were at the plaza.  I need to get that figured out and prevent it. 

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Hey Lou, I know what it's like to come away from a race carrying an award that says "womens" something-or-other on it.  Sometimes I kid, "Look, I just need to figure out how to cover over two letters to improve this award."

p2r: Nice pickup at  the end of your Hotpital Hill race

My sprint tri went fairly well this morning, except I was unable to push DW hard enough on the run leg -- the plan was she'd race against me on the run leg but I was fatigued by then -- but at least it gave her a tempo run. Unfortunately I'm still not intelligent enough to apply sunscreen again after the race finish, so wound up with my annual tradition of going home tired, napping, and waking up with a headache, to finally notice in the mirror my lovely red glow. Two friends had daughters debuting in this sprint tri, so that was fun. Also I was chatting with a couple women afterward, and one of them was just off hip surgery, and the other was a month over heart surgery, so they were in it for the accomplishment of proving it possible to themselves - that was inspiring.

Amazing race weekend, Perry.  I wanna see you in that sports bra Smile

Nice halves, Gen and p2r

Good to get those 11 in, huh, Paul?

Decided to run 15 today to get some long miles in, instead of running trails.

My legs were/are pretty sore from yesterday, but still made it through the 15, at a leisurely pace.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Mmm, I need to do that sometime -- I mean, go long (e.g.,  15), not try running in a sports bra.

Racing gets in the way of training...

Bugs

Lou,

15 miles on tired legs was. I need to get one of those 15 mile runs in soon too.

Perry,

Nice job on the TRI. How you can just jump in those is amazing. DW train more like typical triathlon training? If I was going to really concentrate on triathlons I think I'd mostly bike.

My 2nd open-water-swim went very good. A little freaked at the middle but mentally kept it together. Ran a 5K right before and well I got a work out in, ~25:50, flip. Was racing  a real young girl and she just killed me on the downhill. I need a coach to help me on the downhill.

Sunday, had some tea before my long run and messed with heartrate, 12 miles in but was very exhausting. Later biked a 21 miles with hill repeats and no funky heartrate.

I figured out I can bike the one mile gravel from house to highway and bike to town. The gravel is bumpy and a bad ride but I really like the convience of just leaving from my house.

3 tired miles today.

Bugs