Marathon Trainers

Week of 8/2/2010 (Read 173 times)

Welcome to another week, fellow Blister runners!

3 easy miles, this, the last day in CA.  We'll be packing up and leaving shortly.

Our grandson at the beach: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbrgyfFpQo8

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Hail to The Victors!

Sounds like you had a killer vacation, Lou!

7.3 today.  Shins starting to rebel a little bit.  Not good.  I'm going without orthotics because it aggrivates the stress fracture location a bit.  Might have to switch back, sooner than later.  

Ended up doing 10 mles last nght. Had planned 12. It was a bit warmer than expected--after 5 I knew I should turn around. I walked/ran the last mile and 1/2. It was a good workout--but I definately feel like I lack the endurance right now. So, I will not be running the September marathon. I think if I did that marathon, I will kill any shot at doing well in October.

It is tough running longer distances with a lowish calorie diet. I will continue to up my total mileage, and keep my long runs to 10ish miles for the next few weeks until the contsest is over. Then I should be able to eat substanital calories while ramping up my long runs and total mileage in preperation for October 16.

Dave

Nice run, Murphy. In this heat you can get weak at 10 miles even with lots of calories to draw from. Dehydration alone left me pretty weak on my 7 yesterday. Should've run this afternoon despite the heat. Enroute now to the east coast. No rest for the weary. Will try to force myself to get up early for a treadmill run in the morning but I won't get to the hotel until very late so it may not happen.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Ugh, that wasn't pretty.  Back in Maryland, but not feeling great.  Aborted a 6 miler at about 3.5 - feeling nauseous.  I expect that will be short lived though.

Dave

Mightve been the awful humidity after the break from it. 3 sweaty treadmill miles this AM. Pleased I forced myself up and out for the run.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Kimmie

Finally ran last night after almost a week off.  I had the three weeks off b/c of surgery and then I think I came back a little too quickly.    So, I switched to swimming for the past week.   But nothing feels as good as a sunset run.  Especially after 12 kids in the morning and 6 kids in the afternoon, banging on drums and "playing" recorders.  Music camp is so much fun.  Smile

Hope you feel better, Lou.  I bet it is what Dave said.

Dave- nice run.

Murphy-  just be careful to eat enough.

Jeremy- glad to see you back.

I know Pam doesn't post much in the summer, but if you're lurking, pop in to say hi.

Bugs- hi!!

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Lou, hope the stomach thing was transient.

Kim, have fun with all your exciting activities.

Best of luck to Murphy -- sounds tough.

Jeremy - be careful with the shins.

(I'm taking it easy yesterday & today, cause I'm racing Wed and cause I'm sore from Sunday's 8K)

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

evanflein

Hey. I've been swamped, little time to satisfy my RA habit.

Cash, hope the weight loss is intentional... that's too much too soon though.

Good luck, Murphy! You're doing awesome. Hope you are the Biggest Loser and can get onto maintenance while you build your miles. Training for a race sort of running is really  hard to do while restricting calories. Just running as a physical activity is one thing, but actually training is hard.

Welcome home, Lou. Sounds like you guys had a fun vacation but re-entry is a beyotch. Hope the tummy trouble is nothing to worry about.

Whew, Dave! But Kimmie is right. You could've saved some health care dollars just by listening to your virtual friends. We all know what's best for you anyway.

Jeremy, where was your SFX? I'm curious about the orthotics aggravating the site. I'm convinced my metatarsal pad outlived it's usefulness and became a source of my problem after awhile. I have a "lump" on my foot where the third metatarsal became the problem (originally it was an issue with the 2nd met), and I think it was caused by that pad. I don't use anything but cushioned insoles now; much better.

Kimmie, ^5 to you for taking on the music camp. I'd definitely be needing some adult beverage form of self-medicating after a day of that... You're being smart about your running, too. Good job on pulling back and doing something else when it didn't feel right.

I keep thinking my running sucks these days, but I guess that's not really the case. I've been spending some time in the berry patch the past few days, and that's really hard on the back/glutes/quads. Lots of stooping, bending, squatting, etc. 4+ hours on Saturday and I knew my long run would be in trouble. Yep. Total crash and burn by 7 miles. Struggled through to 9.4 and called it a day. That was supposed to be my first 20 miler. Oh well. Better luck next time.

theyapper

On the road again...

Cross country is in full swing, and the first day was better than the reluctant son expected.  Today, not so much.  90F and a heat index of 100 made it tough, and a lot of the team struggled.  But, we got through it.

Nice for me, cuz I'm helping with the coaching and so I get some extra miles in each week.  Of course, my pace is dreadfully slow, but it's not about my log looking good.  I get a kick out of running/walking with the slower kids and making it more fun for them.  It's also my first time running trails.  Interesting...

Anyway, 5 this morning early and then a bit over 3 at XC practice.  I'm ready to eat.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Paul -- that's great that you're participating in the cross-country and enjoying it.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

baby asleep before midnight for the first time this week. Debating a run through the neighborhood, or getting some sleep.
                            Good attitude, Erika.

That coaching sounds like fun, Paul.

Murph - midnight every night -- yikes!

Glad to see you running again, Kim.

Stomach must have been a 24 hour thing -- much better today.  However, I still seem tired, either from traveling or from getting over the stomach thing.  Anyway, eeked out 9 miles this morning, in air thick as molasses.  73° with dew point of 73°, giving a relative humidity of 98%.

theyapper

On the road again...

Lou - weather was exactly the same here.  Did a bit over 5.  So far (after only 2 days, of course) my sons are surviving XC.  No practice today, and they were glad.  The guy who coaches the team is a big tri guy, and even ran the Kona Ironman a year ago.  Got in on the lottery and had a blast.  I'm just happy to pick up an extra 8-10 mpw and hear the tips he gives the kids.

Hope everyone runs well today.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Chose sleep last night (and this morning). Feeling like crap. Caught a sore throat. Running in 90 degree + at lunch should help.