Marathon Trainers

Week of 8/2/2010 (Read 173 times)

Cashmason

Seems like a lot of us, including me are coming down with something.

Yes Erika, the weight loss is deliberate.   Big initial drop, probably due to water weight.

4 miles on the treadmill last night flat,  plus one mile walking at a 10 percent incline. 

Want to improve my glute/ hamstring strength so I can get a longer stride.  Since we dont have hills,  have to use the treadmil to make one.

Not sure if there is a suggested incline or distance to start at, so just guessed.  I noticed McMillan coaches even his experienced runners to start with walking not running hills.   Not sure how long or how far or how often.

evanflein

Get better, you guys! No fun being sick in the summer so knock it off.

Cash, I still walk a lot of hills. Your treadmill should have a hill program, and I think it adjusts the speed so when you're climbing it slows the belt, speeding up when you're more level. And anything that works your glutes and calves will help with hills.

Murphy talking about choosing sleep when the baby sleeps is like taking a walk down memory lane. DS2 was such a bad sleeper, he'd wake up a lot and resist naps and bedtime so much. Oy. That kid was exhausting. Now he's a great sleeper (but I've yet to meet a teenage boy who isn't).

High clouds and cooler today, although the forecast still says high of 85° today. I doubt we'll hit that. It's not even 70 yet at 9:37 a.m. I'll get out for a RAL, heading for the hilly trails and hope to get in about 10k.

Happy Camper

+1 to what Erika said on the Summer colds. I always give  the allergy medicine a shot because there are  always late season weeds and grass pollens around here this time of year.  Feeling pretty good.  I'm starting to cut back the running tomorrow.  Racing a 10k with DD on Saturday.  Had my final weight lifting session for the bone study this evening and was able to dead lift 225#  5 times pretty easy.  Think my max lifts may be going up  in a couple of weeks.  I am enjoying a quiet house now.  DW is setting up her class room still and DS2 earned his drivers  liscense so he is out driving solo to a friends house.  Tomorrow morning I  get to break in a new pair of  Asics Gel-Pulse 2's.  Hope they are as good as the original Gel Pulse.  I put nearly 700 miles on the pair being retired.  All from the road.

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

ugh. horrible cough and running nose. Storm coming..enough for me to forego the run..sucks.

Bugs

Hi. Sorry I've been MIA. Was running lots till this week. Last Thursday did three separate runs totally 20 miles. (Need to run 18 for Ragnar.)  Then needed some recovery. On vacation this week and having a tough time relaxing, and putting my family first right now. Long story but my DH got a job offer while we are on vacation, and he stressed about what to do. I hate seeing him so miserable about what to do, and just felt better staying close in case he wanted to talk out the pros and cons with me.  Today instead of run I had him go on a bike ride with me, but him biking against my road bike isn't such a great workout for me. But alarm clock is set for tomorrow, and am thinking a nice 12 mile run.

Bugs

Bugs

ugh. horrible cough and running nose. Storm coming..enough for me to forego the run..sucks.

REST! Really, is not worth it. REST!!!

MTA; Typical for people with little kids to get sick more.  Just comes with being a parent. But it does get better. My kids are hardly ever sick. (And me it is just Spring, which my doc said is normal.)

Bugs

theyapper

On the road again...

Had a really hot, humid 5.5 mile run this morning.  XC practice this afternoon with heat index forecast to be around 105-108F.  Uggh.

Bryan - nice deadlift.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Got 3.4ish in at lunch. Felt like I had no energy going into it, but I ran OK given the heat and stuff.

Dave

Wow, some terrible temps out there. I woke up in hotel room with the best intentions of getting a run in. (Carmine is in Iowa today). Ended up working an important email, missing breakfast, and charging into the day. On my next flight in a few minutes. DC again tonight but a quick turn home tomorrow. I'm determined to run tonight regardless of how late I get in.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Dave - I don't envy you your responsibility

WB, Bugs!

I forgot to post my run from this morning:

10.  Slow.

Smile

Good runs, all

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Thunderstorm with brief power outage just hit and passed. Think it's about time to run.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Hawt and sexy

I have been busy running and dealing with some health things. I have to update my log someday when my garmin talks nice to my laptop again. I is alive.

I'm touching your pants.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

We put on our last track night last night, and did the track 5K. I took a shot at a PR, but got tired and just quit. It was so easy to just step off the track. I tried a track 5K last summer and did the same thing. Apparently I just lack the gumption for the race. Yet tonight I went back to the track with two friends, and one was running a tempo run which was paced right at my PR pace, so I chased her around -- she put about 10sec on me in the first lap or two, but then I held constant -- and I finished the 5K in 18:22, which is one of my fastest. So I really need to have someone to chase or to race with besides me, to make up for the internal self-directed motivation I lack.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Cashmason

I think Murph and I have the same cold.

Taught class tonight,  and no energy to run or do anything afterwards.

Should be ok in week or so.

Dave

Perry, Racing is so much mental. Until it's physical. Nice 5k time though. I got 2 miles in very late. Looking forward to being home tonight.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com