Marathon Trainers

Week of 2/14/2011 (Read 197 times)

do you have a physical job that makes it worse?  That's terrible, I hope you find a solution soon.  Give me knee pain any day over back pain...you poor thing.

I don't really know if this is applicable in your instance, but when I went to a PT for IT band problems, he honestly appeared to be learning about IT band healing from me, and I swear he'd google it in the evenings.  I should have paid more attention to the fact that every one of his patients was over 102.  I don't know if your back problems are aggrevated by running, but if it's at all sports related I think it pays to understand what the PT you're seeing specializes in.  I'm sure mine would have given great support to someone transitioning from a wheel chair to a walking frame, but he was really clueless about sports related injuries. 

The last time Ive hurt it (not quite this badly) was in 2009 when I was really ramping up my mileage. Although the last 2 weeks I hadnt run as much as I did the previous 3 weeks. But, I did do a significant amount of my running on the indoor track. That surface could be an issue. I also have been doing some lifting--moving furniture, etc as of late. And I took a good fall on the ice a couple of weeks ago..It may all be conspiring against me.

Dave

I'm very sorry to hear about your injury, Murph.  You too, Pam.

I probably err on the safe side but it does get me worried whenever I want to ramp mileage.  I struggled to stay much over 40 without starting to get some nagging injuries.

4 on the treadmill today at just under a 9 minute pace.  More driven by available time than by any desire to run quickly.  I did manage to squeeze in 4 at lunch though.

Warmup starting here in MI for the next couple of days.  I'm hoping it melts the ice off of my running paths.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

theyapper

On the road again...

Sorry to hear about the injuries.  Hope everyone gets better.

My left knee has been a little buggy lately.  I've run 6 days/week the last 2 weeks and that could have something to do with it.  Not sure, but I decided against a true tempo run today and did 2 w/u, 2 fastish and 2 c/d instead.

Doesn't hurt when I run, just talks to me some during the day.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Did 6mi warmup today then headed over to see what a running buddy was doing, and he was thinking about a 8mi steady-state run, so I did that with him, which was great. I'd been considering running miles on & off (1 medium, 1 easy, repeat ad boredom), but instead wound up running 8mi at about the pace I was considering for my medium miles, so I was really happy with the workout.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

theyapper

On the road again...

Nice 14 miles, Perry.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

I missed what is going on with Pam.

Murphy, hope your back gets better soon.  I have had back problems since I was 30 (23 years), including two laminectomies (L1-S1 both times) when I was 30 and 39.  I feel lucky to be able to run now, although I still get some numbness in my left foot from sciatica.  Stretching helps me, but of course everyone's issues are different.

Headed back home today, and looking forward to getting back to running tomorrow.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Pam got hit by a car, got up & kept running, but wasn't sure about effects. You know how it is with various forums, plus I'm old and I don't keep track very well - she mentioned it somewhere else.

oh my goodness!!!  Glad she's ok.  Did the driver keep going?  That's terrible.

Oh I did see that.  I thought she was ok after that and this reference was something else.  Thanks.

Yeah, she posted on FB that she was having issues related to getting hit by the car. I think she too is starting PT today.

Im concerned about my situation because it has barely improved after a week. It improved from when it first happened in that I can walk now. But its the same amount of pain and inflexibility as I had Friday. I tried to go without the drugs today, but I gave in.

went to physical therapy tonight.

It seemed to help. My therapist is sure its a slipped disk. He put me in all kind of positions designed to help straighten me out--I have a definite shift to the left. It seemed to help. I go back tomorrow.

He also said I have a lipoma on my lower back--my family doctor previously said it was a muscle mass. The PT strongly disagreed.

Bad news is that I wont be running for awhile. He said I shouldnt run until Im pain free for a week. He is a runner--he has run 5 marathons and a 50 miler. I havent truly been pain free for years--so Im not sure how literally I should take those instructions.

I hope you find some relief, Murphy.  Nothing worse than back pain.

6 recovery-paced miles to ease back into it after five days off for the skiing.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Muprhy: Maybe if the PT can work you up to a pain-free week, that will be such a gift to make it worth staying off running a while.

DW recovering from flu; keeping my fingers crossed I'm not coming down with it full-blown. So far just coughing and aches--and lots of sleep.

Dutchie42

Murphy: hope your back starts feeling better soon. How do they get the slipped disk back?

Perry: get lots of sleep. That'll help you keep the flu away.

Oh Pam, didn't know about the car accident.

Been to the PT this morning. For the good news: PT said it wasn't my achilles. The pain is in my soleus muscle, which attaches to the side of the achilles. The root of the problem however, is my L-lower ab (external oblique). It's been painful ever since the very first run/walk I did after I was cleared to run again after my eye surgery back in April Sad This lower ab pain affected the L-Illiopsoas. Which affected my L-hip being tight all the time. And it all caused me to slightly change the way I run. Over time, it ended up in causing an overuse injury in the soleus. And there you go. Because it's all about muscle, it's "easily" treated. As in easier than treating the achilles.

I'm allowed to run, but it'll all take longer to get better if I do. Well, I'm in marathon training, so I'm not stopping. I didn't run today though. I wanted to get my medium long run in after my PT appt., but gosh my lower ab and lower calf were sore!! All my other appts will be late afternoon, so this won't interfere with my running again.

Dutchie
                                Run the day, or the day runs you.