Marathon Trainers

Week of 12/8 (Read 247 times)

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Nice showing Shan and Dave! Sorry, skimming. I'm up to my nose in it and am trying to be social. No running since Thursday Sad - schedule, sleep and weather made for the perfect storm. I'm heading out for a lunch run in a few minutes.

Dave

Darn, Bugs. One light week of running and you're throwing out the challenge card Big grin Of course I meant better, Shan. I'm still fighting off a cold that's moved down towards my chest (I sound like a frog today). Will take a rest day. Probably good after yesterday's hill/speedwork.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Oh Mighty Wing

Bugs - yes hosting is defintely cross trianing! And yeah for DH getting a tree!!! And thank you! Dave - oh good! haha Oh no for the cold! That stinks - I hope it gets better quickly! Mr. I - thanks for starting the thread - apparently I am incapable and must wait for you!! Sorry you haven't gotten any running in. I hope things calm down for you! I am glad you stopped in!!
        evanflein

Hey everyone! How's it goin? Apparently, pretty speedy there for Shan. Wow, loved the picture. Look at you in your short sleeves and the guys behind you are all bundled up! You finished on a track? Be sure to tell us what your final chip time was. Murphy! Hope you had (are having?) fun in Vegas. I've always thought 5+ hour marathoners are really tougher than most. That's a long time to be out on the course. Hope your knee is ok... what is your PR time? I know you were shooting for sub-5 on this one, but I can't remember what time you're trying to better. Bugs, come clean my house! Please! It's a total disaster. I was going to work on it this weekend and never seemed to have time. Of course, I found time for running and eating, but those are the priorities, ya know? We won't get our tree up for ages at this rate... And yes, all that cleaning and party hosting is definitely cross training! Hi Kimmie! I'd love to go for a run in the 20's... Icicle in your hair... how cute is that? Dave, glad to hear your legs feel better. The last few weeks before a marathon are the peak training times when I always seem to tweak something. My last few "planned" runs before the race usually get dropped or done in the pool. Hi Cash! Did you race this weekend? Or was that just Ileneforward and Dromedary? I ran 10.3 outside on Saturday! Hilly trails with lots of snow, some in good shape some totally un-runnable. It felt so good to run a long run outside, but it was colder than I was expecting... wind and snow, temp of 19 dropped to about 16 by the time I finished. Frostbit my chin a little bit. Need my balaclava next time I try that! My shins were pretty beat up feeling from the downhill parts (first hill work in months!) but my foot felt fine. Sunday I shoveled snow for about an hour and it was beautiful out, but very cold! I think the temp dropped to -5 by the time we finished, and the wind was picking up. Got my long run in late, but got it done. 14 miles on the treadmill on sore achey legs, 8;37 avg pace. This run was hard because I was already tired from shoveling, and my legs were still feeling sore from Saturday's run. But that got me to 44.5 for the week... first time over 40 in ages. Today I'm not running... legs really want a day off.

Oh Mighty Wing

My shins were pretty beat up feeling from the downhill parts (first hill work in months!) but my foot felt fine.
            WWWWOOOOOHHHHOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave

wind and snow, temp of 19 dropped to about 16 by the time I finished. Frostbit my chin a little bit.
              Shocked Do you ever get the distinct impression that someone in the group is a heckuva lot tougher than you are? Guess I won't mention that its supposed to be 55F here tomorrow.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Oh Mighty Wing

Shocked Do you ever get the distinct impression that someone in the group is a heckuva lot tougher than you are? Guess I won't mention that its supposed to be 55F here tomorrow.
                55 - hot dog! I'll have to pack shorts!!!
                Kimmie

Dave, totally with you on the tougher than me thing... i'm trying to psych myself up for a run and it's 33 out right now. and 14 miles on a treadmill?!!! Please tell me you watch a movie or something... Erika, you are one tough woman... My parents are visiting which is making it harder to get some runs in... I now realize that December is usually a really down month for me. And on a totally un running related note- my choir did a wonderful job at the performance yesterday. DH caught it on video and I am as intense as I could be- directing my heart out trying to get the kids to sing their hearts out- and they did- it was awesome. Now that's over, I feel like I can breathe a little... Smile i forgot to ask you guys: have you heard of kineisology taping? My running store is having a seminar on it tomorrow night but I was also invited to a Christmas party at the same time. Worth going?
                    i forgot to ask you guys: have you heard of kineisology taping? My running store is having a seminar on it tomorrow night but I was also invited to a Christmas party at the same time. Worth going?
                    Is that the stuff the US women's beach volleyball player (Walsh?) was using at the Olympics? Looked kinda strange on her shoulder in random places. Sounded interesting! Not much going on here. Not getting a ton of miles in, but am staying busy around the house. I'm finding it harder and harder to say no to DW when she's 34 weeks along. Hung lights, fixed bathroom heater fan, changed her squeaky brake pads, getting baby room ready, blah, blah. I'll try not to complain about the weather either, much warmer down here than where most of you are. Hey Shan, congrats on the PR, that's great. Murph, great job gutting that one out.

Hail to The Victors!

Howdy all, sorry I haven't been around a heck of a lot, but its good to see everyone's still getting out and enjoying the roads, even Erika in some darn cold weather (great run!). I stared 70 miles (for the week) last week in the face, and ended up passing on it. I ran my second 20 on Saturday in falling snow with two unplowed/unshoveled inches on the ground. That was a confidence builder, let me tell you. I ran it very slowly, but I ran it all, and then gave up on Sunday's run (which would have put me over 70) because I just didn't want to deal with it all. Definitely a mental and physical health day. Also definitely starting over this week, and maybe I'll take aim at 70 this week and next week, if the weather holds out. Goes to figure that the year I decide to run a January marathon is the year that we get lots of cold and lots of snow (for us). At least snow here in SE michigan is just an inch or two here and there, which melts in a day or so. This week, if the snowless weather holds (we are looking at the freezing rain tonight and tomorrow, at least that will melt/evaporate quickly), I might race on Saturday in one a 10K. With all of these miles under my belt, it seems silly not to take a crack at sub-40. Man, 55 degree weather seems so far away right now...
                      evanflein

I agree... a shorter distance race during marathon training can be a good tune up. Just be careful not to pull or strain something just weeks away from your race! Also, anyone with temps over 30 degrees should just keep it to themselves for awhile. We're settling into some cold weather this week and it's just too hard to hear about people thinking 40 and 50 is chilly.

Oh Mighty Wing

I agree... a shorter distance race during marathon training can be a good tune up. Just be careful not to pull or strain something just weeks away from your race! Also, anyone with temps over 30 degrees should just keep it to themselves for awhile. We're settling into some cold weather this week and it's just too hard to hear about people thinking 40 and 50 is chilly.
                          I only talk about it being cold if it's below 35. But I will take special care not to mention any temp's this week.

Oh Mighty Wing

so i'm running something that I think will look like a speed work-out tomorrow. I'll be honest i'm getting very nervous.
                            Cashmason

Well Erika, I did a bike time trial race this week end. My friend Christina was shivering from the cold. It was 60 degrees. Got up to 70 by the time we finished. Did 9 miles an hour going uphill, 36 miles per hour downhill. Uphill took a whole lot longer than going downhill. Nothing like going downhill at 35 miles per hour plus, and your tires are thinner than your index finger, with crosswinds and going thru gravel and loose dirt on the road. Tri class final will be a super short triathlon on Tuesday. 500 yard swim, 3 mile bike ride in the college parking lot around cones, and then 2 miles on the track. Swim class final will probably be a how far can you swim in 20 minutes. I would rather run a half marathon, than do a 20 minute swim with no rest breaks.
                                Still in Vegas--Wow I have a pent up appetite. Some seriously good meals, the last 2 days. Come back Wednesday morning. My PR is 5:07ish..Vegas 2006. Very tough conditions. Feeling real good today. Havent run, but no knee achyness. Will take a couple weeks easy, and go into my serious marathon preperation for National marathon and to start towards my '09 goals. I know if I just followed a marathon training plan to the end, I'll kill my PR. The reality is, it just hasnt been on the top of my priorities with all the other stuff going on. I love running, and really love racing. I vow to find the time to do it right. Im still happy with my fitness level and weight loss from where I started, but have to make the next step. Now back to the poker table..