Marathon Trainers

Week of 10/19 (Read 247 times)

'bout time, Dave Smile

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

evanflein

Yeah, Dave! And evening running isn't so bad... I usually run after work, especially in the winter if I'm getting on the treadmill.

Sometimes trail running can make you sore because you're using more muscles to maintain balance. It's a better workout that just pavement running. So it's a good sore!

I went to the gym at lunch for a quick 10 minute warm up on the elliptical, then a rushed-feeling upper body/ab weight workout. I remember when I used to go to the gym almost every day after work and spend 2 hours doing cardio and weights... I was about 8-10 lbs lighter than I am now and probably at least 10% less body fat. Ahhh, those were the days. I can't imagine doing that now. But part of my would like to... But, then again, back then I couldn't run sub 3:40 marathons either, so I guess it's all good.

Bugs

Erika,

I give myself the same lecture. I use to exercise always at least twice a day. Now I just don't care that much.

Bugs

Well I had a kick ass weight session last night. I don't workout just because I love it but because it keeps my neck and back in check. If I stop lifting for too long I start having issue's. Oh and when I lift I am ALWAYS heavier than when I don't .

I've decided to give up my nightly splurge on  desserts. I'm bulking up just a bit more than I like in certain areas.  I'm starting to get really excited about Boston and am looking at making myself a training plan. This will be the first time that I'll be focusing more on quality workouts than total mileage. I'm really psyched about it. 

Happy Humpday everyone!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

evanflein

Erika,

I give myself the same lecture. I use to exercise always at least twice a day. Now I just don't care that much.

I guess that's part of it. And when I talk about wanting to get back in that sort of shape, DH says he likes me a little less "that way." I think he likes me a little softer around the edges, so to speak. Heck, these days, as long as I have clothes that fit I guess I don't care so much. But yes, I would like to be a solid sub-140 (as in, not just having a "light" day) before Boston. Heck, I've got months to worry about that, right?

I haven't run since Sunday. I might tonight after work, it's a little warmer today than the last few days so that helps.

Hawt and sexy

Dude, I got busy.  I have one of those manslaves now and they take up a bunch of time.  Smile

I think I might do Harrisburg next month, but I am skerd of cold temps.  Meh.  IDK.

I'm touching your pants.

evanflein

Amanda, congratulations on the acquisition. I also wanted to say that your socks look like all my trail socks. Even after a trip through the wash with Clorox they look like that!
                Ringmaster

Ha! 55 here Monday and I had to pull out the ol' long sleeves, so I understand about the fear of cold temps.

I'm back into the swing of things, I think--finally got up to run most days this week. We'll see if I can get the trend going tomorrow. Now if I could just stop eating junk!

Oh, look, Halloween and Thanksgiving are around the corner . . .

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                  Mile by Mile

55 and long sleeves?

Oh, you would have loved Rhode Island 

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Dave

Manslave.... Guess that's what we are really.  .

Paying today for yesterday's tempo stupidity.  Some shin splint type pain.  Day off should cure it, particularly since my work didn't let up today. 

Almost 70 here today.  Beautiful.  Sorry I'm going to miss it. 

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

I SAY DO Harrisburg Amanda! I won't be doing it however i'd love to come cheer ya on!

Most of my socks look like that as well even after washed Erika. Gotta love cinder...... NOT lol

Glad to hear it's cooling off a bit for ya Vix and that you're getting back in the swing of things. 55 here means shorts and sports bra for my run lol

Hey Lou Smile Nate Jr is such a cutie!

Got a little over 9 miles today. GORGEOUS GORGEOUS day today. Had a 5-6 mile easy run planned however I couldn't find it in me to run that short considering the weather is sure to turn for the worse any day now.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Hawt and sexy

Yep, those socks will never be white again. 

Harrisburg would probably be done as a tiger or a bunny.  It might look funny over the hat, but if I am crazy enough to do a November marathon, I might as well go all out.  I think the tiger is in the lead.  Both costumes are just ears and tails to go with a black tutu (they have ties too, but that might be asking too much).  I just need a warmer top, I have a feeling the sports bra won't cut it. 

I think I might really do this.  Ugh.

I'm touching your pants.

Sorry to hear about the shinsplints Dave! Enjoy your rest day!

Ringmaster

Sorry about the shin splints, Dave. Hope the rest heals you well. I was panicked about ten days ago with some new arch pain. I know how some PF sufferers deal with it long-term. Thankfully some new inserts seem to have taken care of it for now . . . I hope your rest will similarly put your aches to rest.

You are aware, Amanda, that we will need pictures, of course, if you run as a tiger or bunny?

Last year, my rule was to wait for 50s for long sleeves and 40s for pants. It's funny for you all, huh? I went out one day in mid-30s and I looked like a crazy person, covered head to toe--I quickly realized I was really overdressed. In spite of that, my husband and everyone else thought I was a lunatic to go out in those kinds of temperatures. I kept telling them--it's perfect training weather as long as it's dry, and I was right in the middle of marathon training. If I didn't take off Christmas day, I certainly wasn't taking off one lousy day just b/c it was a little nippy.

Florida runners can be awful sissies.

Glad you got in your 9, Pam--you're right, I guess. Your winters can probably be pretty ugly.

Trying to decide between a Saturday 5k and a longer run--say 10 or 12. My half is four weeks away and I do feel a little undertrained in the speed department, though I've got more than enough pure endurance under my belt. Suggestions? You can check my log for what I've been doing.

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                              Mile by Mile

I say do the 5k. You can still fit in a longer run in on Sunday or maybe go out for another run early evening Saturday