Marathon Trainers

Week of 10/19 (Read 247 times)

evanflein

Go Kimmie! I agree a 3 miler will would be good, but you've probably already done it. Like Lou, I usually take Friday off, and have 2 scheduled for the day before. But you know what? I rarely run those 2 miles... My best races have had no running a couple days before. I think I've found a pattern that works.

Jeremy, good luck for good results at her follow-up visit. That sounds like really serious stuff there, hope she's holding up well. (and GL to you on the sole caregiver business!)

25 weeks till Boston? Geez, that means another 8 weeks or so of coasting for me. I use an 18 week program, but my normal running has me at about the one-third point on it, so I just jump in whenever I feel a need for more structure. Seems to work.

Bugs, the foot thing is the same ol'-same ol' thing, but the new twist is a tenderness in the arch. I've tried adjusting my inserts, but doesn't seem to help much. Icing helps temporarily, but that's it. Trying to avoid too much of the ibuprofen because it seems like I've taken a lot of that in the past and I know it's not good for you long term. So... trying the "stay off it a bit and give it a rest" approach. Mediocre results so far. But, on that note... I'll be pool running after work today.

Kimmie - bet you like tomorrow's weather better than today's.  It was 67° when I ran on wet roads this morning, and the forecast for today is more rain, clearing up and much cooler tomorrow.  You're going to rock tomorrow's race!

3.1 miles, 28:51, 9:12/mi, AHR 134 (69% MHR)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

4 miles for me today. I'm so sore. Apparently that trail running beats you up a bit. Smile

Heh -- even more so if you fall sometimes -- but I hope you prove to be more agile than me Smile

Congratulations you maniac Lou.

Been in Vegas, and running in the asphalt jungle (ie, on the strip) all week. Just getting to read this week here.

Kim - I hope you get a lot of rest today and feel better in the morning.

I discovered that the strip is too crowded in the daytime, but the off-strip roads are ok. But mostly I woke up and went running just before sunrise, when there are almost as many runners as pedestrians out there on the strip -- not many of either.

Steve Ballmer (CEO, Microsoft) gave the keynote speech here on Monday, and he said when he ran that morning, some of the conference runners recognized him and came up and asked to take a photo with him. I didn't know what he looked like until he gave that speech, but when I saw his face onstage, I realized he looked like one of the guys I saw jogging that morning Smile

They call 60 or lower "cold" here. I don't mind that scale; just my style. Good luck to E and anyone with snow.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Dave

5 more easy miles for me this morning.  HR is elevated but I feel mostly good.  Really noticing the lost fitness but that's the way it goes when you take 4 months mostly off.

Kimmie posted that's she's feeling sick right before the big race tomorrow.  So much for our "run easy" advice .  Hope you feel better and have a great race.  Or at least feel well enough to get you to the starting line and then let the adrenaline carry you.  

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

GOOD LUCK KIMMIE!!! ROCK THAT RACE!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Took yesterday off. I'm running a 5k with my RP on Sunday and had suggested she take Friday off. It only felt right to take the day off as well. Will run a few miles today in the crappy weather (windy as hell). I'm really looking forward to tomorrow's race. It would be cool as hell if we got under 24. I've never paced someone for a 5k so this will be interesting. I hope I don't screw up

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Kimmie

Thanks you all... I really wish I knew why I seem to get sinus headaches before almost every race... what's the deal?

I didn't run today or yesterday.   Hopefully, this is nothing... just makes me feel really tired from the pain and the pressure.

After this race, I'm off to an allergist to see what's up.

Pam- very cool that you can pace your friend in a 5K.  I'm sure you'll go under 24.

Go Kimmie!

Stupid MCM web page isn't loading for me now...  MTA: Oh there it is -- she's 1:52 through 20K (predicting 3:56:22)

Beautiful day to run in the MD/VA/DC area.

12.2 miles, 1:43:43, 8:29/mi, AHR 148 (76% MHR)

5@8:58(137), 2@8:45(143), 5.22@7:55(160)

Dave

Way to go, Kimmie!!

And nice run, Lou.  Hoping to get out later for a few easy miles.  

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Ouch -- at 30K it looks like Kimmie is starting to struggle.  I hope she's ok.

Back from the 5k. RP KICKED ASS!  6th place in her age group (35-39)The last half mile or so was up hill and she slowed down a bit however she finished with a nice time of 24:10 for her first 5k!  She definitely has a sub 24 in her near future. 24:00.95 for me which got me a  2nd place AGA.

Race started late so we ended up freezing for a half hour after our 3 mile warm up. They really should have saved the judging of costumes until AFTER the race (not may out of the over 300 people dressed up)

Next up I'll be "pacing" her at a 10 mile race next weekend. THIS IS FUN!

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Got back from Vegas last night, landing in National. Wish I'd gotten a hotel room and stayed over so I could go spectate MCM & cheer peeps and meet up with various people; even had a friend from down here who was up there that I could have caught a ride back with. But had luggage from a weeklong business trip with me, and couldn't very well drag it around to MCM, so didn't do it.

Pam - congrats and sounds great -- *very* close to 24 you all were...

Kim's 5K splits from MCM website:

<col width="64" style="width: 48pt;" /> <col width="80" style="width: 60pt;" />
                          0:26:57
                          0:53:19 0:26:22
                          1:21:12 0:27:53
                          1:52:02 0:30:50
                          2:21:45 0:29:43
                          2:53:38 0:31:53
                          3:26:39 0:33:01

Looks like she was getting tired, but for a sick girl at least she persevered and made it through.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Kimmie

hey you guys!

finished in 4:14...not quite the 3:45 I was hoping for.  I woke up with my stomach feeling funny... don't know why.  I thought maybe it wouldn't be an issue during the race... I was trying to ignore it.  Had a pretty decent pace going through mile 13 when I had to stop at the porta potty... lost way too much time there.  Then, I just kept taking the gels like normal.  well, that made my stomach pissed, so I stopped doing that.  8 marathons and I've never had a stomach issue.

It was frustrating because the stomach cramps just didn't go away and I kept slowing down.  Had to stop a few times and I was praying that I didn't throw up. ( I didn't)  It didn't feel like my legs were THAT tired, just that I was getting tired from dealing with the stomach pain.  I guess it could have been feeling under the weather yesterday. And I guess it could have been what I ate last night.  We ate at Macaroni Grill last night, lasagana., but it  seemed fine.

oh well, gutted it out until the end.  Still such a beautiful day, although warm at some points.  Didn't end up seeing the RA peeps.

i did want to quit at mile 16... just felt done with the whole thing... the only other time I wanted to quit a marathon was NY.  .. How do you quit?  I was wondering...  do you just tell the volunteers... and by that time, I was moving on.

oh well,,, the marathon in a tough animal.  I almost want a redemption race where I can be really careful with my eating and make sure that the stomach thing never happens again.

I finished and some Marines asked me if I was alright. I must have looked like death, but it's always nice to be looked after by a good looking Marine. Smile

oh well, gutted it out until the end.  

(so to speak)

All kidding aside, you were a trouper to finish when not feeling well, and 4:14 under those circumstances is not bad at all.

Kimmie

Lou!  you are too funny!