Marathon Trainers

Week of 10/18/2010 (Read 161 times)

3 recovery miles for me this morning.

Waiting patiently for Dave's summary.  Smile

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

theyapper

On the road again...

Decided to get in 5 easy recovery miles instead of sitting in front of the computer hitting the refresh button in anticipation of the Dave summary.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

evanflein

I just had to read through the last of last week's thread. I get behind here very fast...

Paul, that was an outstanding run you had to cap off a PR week! Congratulations, and I think you're going to have more like that coming up. You still planning on Thunder Road in Charlotte on Dec. 11?

{{Murphy}} Sounds like the right decision. I think Columbus would've been a pretty rough ride so it's good there are other factors that helped make your decision. And life at your stage is hard anyway, no sense throwing more time away into the mix.

Perry, when I think of fuel belts I think of all the dropped bottles I've seen on marathon courses. It seems most (or at least many) have that problem. I can't stand anything bouncing or jostling along with me, so if yours doesn't do that stuff, post a link to it please.

Kimmie, glad to hear the ITB seems to have settled down. And over-reacting is fine, must better than ignoring the problem and hoping it goes away. I like your kind of math. Like when I was out yesterday... just three more and I'd have 20, I thought. But then I thought, who am I kidding? The last two were hard enough, I am in no mood to do three more!

A good weekend of running, but no taper yet. 10.5 on Saturday and 17 on Sunday (8:15 avg and pretty consistent pacing), for just under 53 for the week. I'd thought it'd be a cutback week, but it was another 50+ after all. I hope to have at least 53 again this week, then a 2-week taper should be just about right.

theyapper

On the road again...

Paul, that was an outstanding run you had to cap off a PR week! Congratulations, and I think you're going to have more like that coming up. You still planning on Thunder Road in Charlotte on Dec. 11?

Thanks, and yes, Dec. 11 in Charlotte has been circled on the calendar for quite some time.  I'm getting more and more excited about it, and hope all this running pays off.

Paul

Hawt and sexy

Ohai. Are you guys new? Smile

I'm touching your pants.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Ohai. Are you guys new? Smile

Who are you? Are you one of them Gansett elite runners?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Hawt and sexy

heh more like Gansett lite.

I'm touching your pants.

Dave

Decided to get in 5 easy recovery miles instead of sitting in front of the computer hitting the refresh button in anticipation of the Dave summary.

Glad you guys are patient.  Big grin.  Work took a turn yesterday and the summary will need to wait until tonight.  Besides, I haven't uploaded my mileage yet and I don't want to short change myself. 

If anyone of you are interested in the Army 10 Miler this weekend, I've got a line on what might be 2 bibs.  Shirt sizes might be off (M & S?).

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

theyapper

On the road again...

Had 10 on the schedule today and wasn't excited about it.  At.  All.  Had the brilliant idea that I could run it a bit quicker than usual just to get it over with.  Figured maybe I could end up around a 9:30/m pace and call it a day.

Well....I didn't run until well into the day so it was 81F when I went out.  First mile was under 9, but it was downhill so I didn't worry about being too fast.  Second mile was under 9 and uphill, so I thought I might be running a bit too fast for a regular training run.  Third mile was faster than those 2, and I still felt decent.  Decided to just go with it and see how far I could push these paces.  Thought at the very least I could get 5 miles in then jog the 5 miles back at a much slower pace.

Mile 4 was faster than the first 3, and when 7:53 popped up on my Garmin after mile 5, I knew I was toast.  I stopped, reset the Garmin, turned around and headed home walking/running.  Took a lot longer to get home then it did to get 5 miles away. Wink

Anyway, I was surprised at how quickly and easily the pace dropped over those first 5.  Pretty sure if i had controlled my pace a bit better, I wouldn't have had a hard time running under 10 m/m for the whole 10 miles.  More training needed, for sure.

Paul

evanflein

Hey Paul, I do that a lot, too. Go out thinking I'll do one thing, then the miles just start slipping by faster than planned, and I start thinking Hmmm, how long can I keep this up? Watch out, you'll be running faster and faster all the time just to "see how far you'll get!" Nice run for you, today!

I went to the gym and did Elliptical and some weights. Not much. Still planning on running tonight. I'd like to do more of these "doubles" kinds of days as winter wears on.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

At least you had fun and went fast Paul -- me too.

I felt very tired through all my long running this  past weekend, but surprisingly felt good yesterday and today. Tonight DW was doing quarters, and I felt really good in the warmup -- felt like I would be in great shape to race. So ran the quarters with her and enjoyed them -- at the end where we were doing them was a curve around a cul-de-sac, so I swung wide each time which meant I had to go faster to keep up, and so I was enjoying fast finishes.

But then I was tired after those,  and *then* I found that 200s were next -- for the first two of those I felt tired, but by the fourth and last I actually felt decent. But after all that, I decided I was done even if she kept going (she didn't, in fact). Usually I contemplate going a bit further, but this was entirely the opposite -- I was "stick a fork in me and pull me out, I'm done."

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Paul, I guess I had one of those, too, this morning

8.3 miles, 1:08:53, 8:19/mi, AHR 152 (74% MHR)

1 - 8:42(137)

2 - 8:37(145)

3 - 8:30(144)

4 - 8:21(152)

5 - 8:21(153)

6 - 8:15(154)

7 - 7:58(160)

8 - 7:59(158)

9 - 2:09(161) [0.28=7:43]

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

theyapper

On the road again...

Nice run, Lou.  Only difference is that you didn't blow up. Big grin

MTA: Went out for my 5 miler, felt so good I ended up doing 7.4

Paul

evanflein

11.1 miles tonight, on icy bikepaths and sidewalks. Gotta get used to it, I guess. Ended up with 8:23 average pace, and most miles were pretty close to that. Only slipped a couple of times... always when crossing a road in traffic. Lovely. This is a difficult time for running, I left DH's office at about 4:35, and it wasn't long before the intersections were backed up and I could really smell exhaust. Ick. We do have pretty "still" air here in the winter most of the time, and it just hangs around the ground. Bleh. Oh well, I only do that once or at most twice most weeks. Other times the air is pretty clean and fresh, and I'll go out in the sunshine of mid-day tomorrow. 

Happy Camper

Finally finished with the bone study stuff for the week.  9.3-miles this morning with a very full and glowing moon.  Great to be back running.

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.