Marathon Trainers

Week of 3/28/2011 (Read 327 times)

I'll need to update my leg shot there with my scab/scar/bruise look I'm now working on.

Nice monthly mileage Erika!

Good luck Paul this weekend!

Sorry to hear about your fall AG and enjoy tapering!

Hope you enjoyed your rest day Lou.

As for me I did a double today. 5.25 by myself this morning then 7 with my husband. Tomorrow is supposed to be a tempo day we shall see. I have this huge blister on the side of my pinkie toe that I keep ripping over. My shoe was all bloody after todays second run. Hope this liquid bandage does it's job. Anyway with a crappy start this month I still managed to end it with 167.1. Not too shabby

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

easy 8, it felt good so I've got my groove back

Not too bad, Pam.  Hope the blister gets better soon.

AG, only reason I asked about the streak is that I think if I were running a streak during taper it would hurt my marathon performance.  I know I need to let my body rest/heal from training cycle before the race.  Of course, I'm 53 and your mileage may vary.  But this is "team blister marathon trainers" so I figure I'd share my perspective.

Having said all that, I know others who seem to thrive on big miles, streaks, etc., more so than race performance.  We're running to have fun and feel good about ourselves, so whatever makes it fun is the important thing.  This perspective is interesting to me also, as the big miles, streaks, etc., are there every day, and distance race performance is only every several months at a minimum.  Personally I like to put in relatively big miles, too, not Perry big, but 2000+ a year is definitely a goal for me.

I also know a guy who has a 35 year streak going, which I have to admit is truly amazing.

4 easy with half dozen striders thrown in for me this morning.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

honestly I didn't think I'd keep it up past 10 days, but my legs feel so much better than when I was running 5 days a week.  If I rest my tired legs, they're even more sore the following day, yet if I take an easy short run and follow with a good stretch, they feel great.  So it's not a streak for the sake of a streak kind of mentality, more than I'm finding my legs feel like I have more range of motion and I'm not all stiff like before. 

Kimmie

Interesting discussion about streaking.    I've never even considered it, even when I was much more serious and running way more miles per week than now.  I wonder if it would help me, though, if I determined that there were no off days.

I feel a resurgence of my motivation coming back.  I have been blah about my running every since Boston.    And I want to have fun with it, but I don't know how much fun it is to just show up to a race and try to phone it in.   So, a little insight into the mind of Kimmie.

Great to see you here, Pam, if I didn't say it already.  I'm with Erika-   we miss you when you're not around.   Bugs, too, although we do have FB to see what everyone's up to-  have pity on Erika- and check in.  Smile

Great fastish 4 miles in the wind and hills-  37:00 exactly.    I love the two girls I've been running with-  really push sometimes and other times, nice and easy.   

Keep us updated on your taper, AG.

... I'm finding my legs feel like I have more range of motion and I'm not all stiff like before. 

Well it seems like it is working for you.  We are all an experiment of one.

Hi, Kimmie!  Good to hear you're getting your mojo back.

hope you get out of you blah, I hate that.  Having done Boston is amazing!

I knew after a couple of weeks that running every day was easier on my legs, so it's worth a shot.  You've got enough experience to learn early on whether it's working for you.

One thing I found interesting lately is that I couldn't figure out why my resting heart rate was at 60 bpm every morning.  Initially I chawked (sp?) it up to not enough sleep and too much caffeine, but now in my glorious taper I'm back to 54.  I guess 'overtraining' by my body's definition.  I need to get tough like Perry.

Thanks Kimmie!!  Glad to hear  that your motivation is coming back!!!  

6.4 moderate miles today. Cut it short and had dh pick me up since the blister on pinkie toe opened back up. After I got home I checked and it was just a tiny bit that got reopened so hopefully it will still be healed enough to get back to either wearing my Vibrams or my 101's.  TGIF!!!

Hope everyone has an AWESOME weekend!!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Tempo run on the plan this morning, and I followed through.

8.2 miles, 1:04:18, 7:53/mi, AHR 159 (77% MHR)

2@8:46(150), 4@7:20(163), 2.16@8:05(157)

Nice run Lou. 

Had a really nice tempo run this morning. Blister is still there however my vibrams didn't seem to bother it.However since I haven't worn them much lately wearing them created other blisters on feet. Guess I need to wear them a bit more. I'm planning on running my HM in may in them so guess it's time to start.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Off to a 10mi race. I'm posting before Lou this morning; wonder if he's already out running.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Off to a 10mi race. I'm posting before Lou this morning; wonder if he's already out running.

heh.  slept in until 6:10 Smile

Happy Camper

• Top quality medals awarded to ALL weekend event participants.
                              • Brooks short sleeve technical shirts for all marathon, half marathon and marathon relay participants, cotton t-shirts for all other participants ...
                              • First name on race bib to all marathon and half marathon participants who register by February 1, 2011
                              • Water and Gatorade available at 17 aid stations along the marathon course, as well as at the start and finish
                              • Boston Marathon qualifier
                              • USATF certified courses
                              • Half Marathon is one of the largest in the United States
                              • More than $20,000 in prize money, including prize money for age group winners
                              • Special guest appearance by Runner’s World Bart Yasso
                              • Michelob ULTRA After Party with local band Vote for Pedro
                              • Athlete Tracking
                              • Corral Start

Heh, and it's all just one week away.  Smile

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Good luck, Bryan.  Remind me: which race?

16.3 miles, 2:23:33, 8:48/mi, AHR 142 (69% MHR)

11@8:57(140), 5.32@8:28(148)

Usually I pick up the pace a bit for the middle miles, but since I ran the tempo yesterday, and since my ITB was giving me a little grief during the run, I decided not to push it.  But still, somehow, I ended up finishing faster.