Marathon Trainers

Week of 12/29/2008 - 1/6/2009 (Read 352 times)

Bugs

I took advantage of Bugs' rest day to log an easy 6 today.
    Black eye Next time I run easy. Tongue
    My 2009 resolution is to run more, post more, try to run more miles than Dave and Bugs...
    Another showdown? I'm in. Loser of the mileage war has to _____________ on January 1, 2010.

Bugs

Dave

Black eye Next time I run easy. Tongue
      Next time hopefully you don't follow up two 5K races with a 9.2 mile "recovery run". Tongue
      Another showdown? I'm in. Loser of the mileage war has to _____________ on January 1, 2010.
      Ooh. Now this is getting interesting. I'll have to think about that one. Not sure this is an entirely healthy contest given the OCD tendencies of the people involved.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Oh Mighty Wing

13.1 in 2:26:06. Bloody nose at mile 9 - tissue up nose the rest of the way. Very strong wind and regular hills. This was a good run!
          Your nose just started bleeding spontaneously? Nice run. We did 5.5 here in Austin, at Zilker Park. It's a nice dirt path that everyone in Austin runs on apparently. There were a couple of water stops along the way, and lots of fountains. Waiting for my son to get his butt in gear so we can get something to eat...

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Oh Mighty Wing

Yeah I mean my nose constantly runs during runs (HA!) and so I'm always blowing it. I guess between the wind and the dryness it was a recipe for disaster! I blow my nose on whatever available typically my shirt - and right around mile 9 I blew it and it wasn't snot... oopps... my poor shirt! How old is your son?
            Kimmie

Hey all- So, I ran my 10 miler this morning and it went pretty good. I don't remember how to link, so I just cut and pasted from the race report forum: Quote Modify posted: 1/3/2009 at 12:42 PM What a beautiful day for a race. Temp at the start was probably 32 and sunny. I chose this low key race to help with my marathon training for the Myrtle Beach Marathon on Feb. 14th I ran it with two friends of mine from my running group. This race is put on by the DC Road Runners and it only cost $5.00 to run it. No T-shirt, again very low key- but they had everything you need in a race- a bathroom at the start and a water station. It starts on a bike path in Kensington, Maryland, which is about 40 minutes north of us. It's out and back. 5 miles out, turn around, come back. For some reason, I LOVE out and back courses. My brain can be a little bit tricked into thinking it's just 5 miles, but you have to get back. The scenery was beautiful. The trail went alongside a creek and through a wooded park ( which, I think was Rock Creek Park) Originally, I had the very aggressive goal of a 1:20, but I stayed up later than I wanted last night and drank more wine than I had intended, so my goal turned into- let's just see what happens. Miles 1-4 were in the 8:30 range. At Mile 4, the course goes into a neighborhood and it was straight uphill for almost a mile. Then you turn around and get the fun downhill to start you back to the trail. I ended up passing people from mile 6 to the finish. I looked at my watch around mile 9 and gave it all I had and finished in 1:24:20 a PR! Felt great the whole time and loved being able to run a negative split ( just a little) thanks for letting me share! Good running everyone!

Oh Mighty Wing

AWESOME JOB KIMMIE!!!!

Dave

Fantastic job, Kimmie! Things are looking good for your marathon in February. Rest day for me today. First real long run of this training cycle tomorrow. My wife and I also joined a health club today (Bally's). Her gym went out of business and she needed to find a new one. I decided to sign up too since I figured I'd need access to a treadmill over this winter and I'll need a place to workout when we get to Michigan. Price was right. I'm guessing they're desperate for new members that pre-pay since the economy has been so weak.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

evanflein

What's with all the pictures? Nice race, Kimmie. I've never run a 10 miler, but I think it's a good distance. More than a 10k, but not as committed as a half-marathon. Bugs, a little late, but I'd probably take a rest day or light activity, maybe even a short recovery run IF you wanted to. Or that's when I'd go pool running. But Pace's suggestion of Advil is good. Sometimes the aches and stiffness bothering you is mild inflammation that a little Ibuprofen can take care of. Dave, I use the Hal Higdon Intermediate II program, too. Well, I used it to build my own. It doesn't have any speed work other than his marathon pace runs, and he does those on Saturday so you'll run long on Sunday on somewhat tired legs. He wants to train you to run long distances when your legs aren't fresh to help with those last miles of the race.
                      How old is your son?
                      He's 23. He's in a band and they have an EP out which they distribute at their gigs. They'll open an online distribution on Jan 30 if they can find the cash to print a bunch more copies -- their first 100 is gone now. He works for the city of Austin to pay the rent, etc. A bit of a starving artist -- I help him out when he needs it but he rarely asks, and is eeking out a living on his own right now.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

GREAT RUN KIMMIE Congrats on the PR. Shan, very, very impressive how many miles you are getting in these days. Getting ready to head out in the relative cold of Ohio. It was great running in the Florida weather. But, for Ohio in January, its not bad. I think its in the 30's.

Bugs

Erika, Thanks. Mostly I was concerned because I had slept so lousy, and I knew that it was time to cutback that day. I should have taken Adviil before going to bed, or when I woke up. I've actually been on mega doses because of carpal tunnel. (that sucks) If it wasn't such a pleasant quiet day at work at Friday I probably would have ran a recovery jog but instead didn't do anytihng. It also had been about 2 weeks since I had a day off. My other (chronic) issue is tight calves. They are still tight. Kim, You had three great races. Awesome. Think you will have an awesome marathon, but I'd hold back the next week, your legs have had a tough week. Dave, I was thinking the same thing, as I'm actually hoping to run more faster miles this year, and rest more. I don't have too many days where I don't put my miles in. Murphy, Welcome back. Florida sounds heavenly, although so do the 30s. We got freezing rain here, no fun. Were you the one that sold Wii stuff on the side? I am in desperate need to find a Hunting game. Can I email you? 5.2 easy miles today. Will rock the TM later tonight.

Bugs

Happy Camper

Nice runnin" Kimmie! I like 10-mile races also. We only have 1 local one. Nice to push it harder than 1/2-M but not the train wreck a 10k can be. Murph: Glad your back. Sorry about the OB but the ACC has to win at least one bowl game this year. They need it to keep up with the Big 10.11. I had a nice run today! 10.4 miles and kept HR Avg at 156bpm. Second General Aerobic run of the week I've been able to push out. Not bad for me considering how sick I've been. Last night was an Advil night for me. It helped with the fatigue and soreness. Going back to work after two weeks off took it out of me. Too bad, missed out on the WII Olympics that DW and DS1 went too at DF's House. The antibiotics have perked me up but this thing is still not knocked out. Small race for me next weekend. Runner's Choice, 10k or 20k. Think I'll hit up the 10k since I didn't run that distance in 2008.

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

yeah bugs, thats me. I can point you in the right direction to find whatever you are looking for..email me. Fantastic 6 miles today. Started to get a bit of rain at the end, but not bad. Ran very steady at about 10 minute miles at what was fairly easy pacing. Got a mini streak of 4 days going.
                                Is it just me, or is the reports option missing? How are we supposed to compete with Shan without being able to pull up our total mileages?