Marathon Trainers

Week of 12/29/2008 - 1/6/2009 (Read 352 times)

Dave

It's not just you, Murph. It went away with the new log due to performance issues. Eric is working on it. Until then we just have to log stalk. MTA: nice 6 today.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

evanflein

7.05 miles in an hour, about 8:31 pace. Just a run, nothing special. Sure am tired of the treadmill but it's just too damn cold to go out unless I have to. Now to finish taking down the tree... Tomorrow I start packing so better find my shorts!
        We were complaining about tomorrow's run which will essentially be in a mall parking lot because we don't have a lot of time to go drive to a nicer place. Well, thinking about what Erika has to deal with every day, I guess we shouldn't be complaining at all. Have a great trip to Disney World, E!

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Cashmason

Great race Kimmie! Btw, my coach, who was on the US Olypic team this year in China, says always always do a warm up job before a race, no matter how long the race is. She says to break a sweat a few minutes just before the race starts. She says this is one of the most frequent questions she gets from her clients, and that they are usually concerned about tiring themselves before the race. Her point was that if you trained properly, the warm up jog would not tire you out, and you would perform better in the race if you do the jog.
          Kimmie

thanks Cash. You know, I barely warmed up before the race, say, 10 minutes of really slow jogging... I definitely was not sweating but I wasn't freezing cold either. I wish I had another race to experiment with warming up before the marathon. Do you guys warm up before marathons too? if I'm trying to BQ, maybe it would be a good idea. only 6 weeks to go! Is Disney this weekend?

Dave

Kim, I do not warm up before marathons. With all that nervous energy and the shuffle to the start, I just go out a little easier on mile 1. I think Disney is this weekend. That has got to be so exciting. Did my first real long run of this training cycle. Went just under 17 miles in 2:35. Probably my most consistently paced long run ever. Nothing faster than 9:00, nothing slower than about 9:30 (after the easy warm up mile). Overall, it felt good but I was kidding myself when I thought I was back to pre-USMC marathon form. 2 solid months without anything much over 10 miles clearly saps your endurance. I got a little wobbly toward the end of this one from about mile 14 on.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

6 easy miles today. Felt strong throughout. Feels good that my easy pace is getting faster. 5th straight day of running.
                  I've not warmed up before any marathon yet. I figure there's only so much glycogen to use. That isn't to say it's not a good idea, just that I don't do it. I do warm up before other races. Nice runs, Dave and Murphy. I ran around the mall four times for 6.4 miles, 8:16/mi pace. We're back in Maryland. Not looking forward to going back to work.

Oh Mighty Wing

A nice 3 miler today. Very odd my second mile was my slowest and felt the worst - I remember thinking - ugh I must be going fast because it feels like work, relax this is supposed to be easy - the next mile was 30 seconds faster... weird...
                      Oh, as promised:

Oh Mighty Wing

You, Sir, are a stud!! Look at you between those two gorgeous women!!
                          You, Sir, are a stud!! Look at you between those two gorgeous women!!
                          Blush

Hail to The Victors!

7.05 miles in an hour, about 8:31 pace. Just a run, nothing special. Sure am tired of the treadmill but it's just too damn cold to go out unless I have to. Now to finish taking down the tree... Tomorrow I start packing so better find my shorts!
                            Yeah, my wife has been talking about packing for the last week. I think she's just excited to go to Disney or something. Me, I've just been worried about my kit for the race, which I've pretty much had figured out for the last 4 months. Are you guys planning on going into any of the parks, or are you going to keep away other than the race? The weather is looking pretty good. Lows in the lower 50s, highs in the upper 60s, and cloudy. Maybe some light rain. That's racing weather!

Bugs

Disney already..cool. To bad it is full, my kids and DH are so preoccupied with thie Wii they'd never know I was gone. Dave, thought I'd save you some clicking so we both don't get carpal tunnel... Bugs 48.6 You 47.1 But the week aint over till it's over, or the fat lady breaks a toe, something like that.Big grin

Bugs

Dave

I notice you waited to post that until almost midnight. Who can run a couple of miles in that amount of time?Tongue Great job, Bugs. Any week over 30 is a good week for me.

dgb2n@yahoo.com