Marathon Trainers

Week of 12/29/2008 - 1/6/2009 (Read 352 times)

I think I remember Cash from coolrunning -- I didn't go anywhere there but the boomer group though. I've met Dave once and Erika I've met a couple of times, and I feel like I know Shan already Smile so I guess I'll be ok. Looking forward to meeting more of you at the national races in March. I feel like I have to confess to Shan though... I've been through high school and college and halfway through a masters program (last being a long story), but I have yet to take a single chemistry class. I felt so guilty about it that I actually found myself a chemistry book a few years ago and resolved to go through it and teach myself chemistry. Of course life got in the way and since it's not as intuitive as mathematics which comes easy to me, it didn't happen. Maybe when I retire... Whew... glad I got that off my chest.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Oh Mighty Wing

umm dude you brew beer - you DO more chemistry then my students will when they grow up! So please rest your guilty conscience. Thank you for sharing! I'll share too - we've brewed beer once - it was cool. I want to try it again but without a "kit". DH doesn't seem nearly as excited as I am about it and yet he would reap the benefits as I only drink red wine. Really people sharing is caring. Big grin
        im carb loading for the virtual 5k tomorrow. If I want to get a good time, I have to get my ass up and travel to flatish terrain...or the top of a 3.1 mile hill.
        Cashmason

Lou, You are in the Masters group, you are supposed to have " senior moments" and forget me. Shan, success in life comes from hanging out with people who are now at a point, where you want to be in the future. Then doing what they do. From Gordo Byrn, a legend in the triathlon community both as an athlete and also as a coach: A general point for all of us to be aware of... when things are "going well" we will all have a tendency to push ourselves -- with more training; with faster training; with tougher goals. This is natural. Be aware of this natural urge to make things tough on ourselves (not sure where it comes from, advertising & media?). The reason it is important to watch is that longer, faster, tougher... do not always result in more satisfaction. In our busy lives, even a little too much, can limit the satisfaction, and stress release, we get from athletics. With regard to racing... if performance is your goal then you will find that you perform best at a distance that is under your endurance. In other words, race shorter than your longest training sessions.
          Cashmason

Met my friend Paul ( ok he is barely an aquaintance) while swimming tonight after teaching spin. He produces small independent films and he invited us to the private premier of his next film in two weeks. We went to the public premier of his last film last summer. Those are fun events. My running for the year suckified, but the biking and swimming were up nicely. Pr's in the 10k and half marathon distances, so all in all not a bad year.
              umm dude you brew beer - you DO more chemistry then my students will when they grow up!
              Well I use chemistry but don't have the background to know that yeast does C6H12O6 → 2 C2H5OH + 2 CO2 (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethanol_fermentation for more information). Well I do know that yeast eats sugar and pees ethanol and burps carbon dioxide, but you get what I'm saying, right? It's kind of like we all drive cars, but many of us don't know how an engine works. (Actually that is one class I did take in high school). But enough about me. Cash - sorry for the rehash, but were you injured or just concentrating on different sports this year?

Happy Camper

Welcome WRFB! 5k sounds like it is on for today. I will be taking it slow. I feel better but only because I spent all day either sleeping on the couch or watching SciFi channel. This cold is the suck. Only relief was DW's "sippin syrup" (promethazine w/codeine) leftover from when she had the flue last Spring. Hope to get back at it soon. !

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Oh Mighty Wing

Pace - boo for the cold! i hope it clears up quickly! WRFB - you are funny! Yes yeast breaks down the sugar into ethanol and carbon dioxide. It's a decomposition reaction - one of 6 major reaction types. And I don't know much about engines other than blowing your head gasket causes antifreeze to get into your engine where it mixes with oil and makes this crazy pea soup colored stuff. Cash - this explains why i'm soo successful! Wink My feeling is that you can't get advice from people who are standing on the same step as you.
                    I dnfd the virtual race. Ran a quick 1.7 though. Too quick

Bugs

Kimmie, You going to run my race? You're not going to let Shan win that easily. Thanks everyone in advance for running it. I hate missing a goal (1 race/month 2008 goal) and this knocks off the list just in time. I'll be running with another (fast) guy at noon.

Bugs

Dave

50 MPH winds here today. I'm searching for a 3 mile stretch with a tailwind all the way. Big grin

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Bugs

50 MPH winds here today. I'm searching for a 3 mile stretch with a tailwind all the way. Big grin
                          3.1 cheater. Big grin

Bugs

I had planned to do a tempo run within a 10 miler, but due to some issues ended up running 5 miles at about recovery pace. My first 5K (the fastest) was done in 27:38. Not my best performance, by a long shot, but as it turns out I needed the rest. I ran before the wind started, luckily.

Ya, Shan I figured Saturday night dinner was a given.
                              So we're looking at hotels for the national half. Even though we're fairly local we will stay in DC. Are we thinking of dinner on Saturday (after the race) or Friday (before the race)? Either way we'll be there, just wondering... BTW, we are not local enough to know anything about restaurants in DC Smile

Bugs

WillRunForBeer, You ran smart. Trust me the prize money won't be enough to retire on, much wiser to do what you need to do, but you did help me make my goal of 1 race per month. Thanks! Kimmie, I'm still planning on staying with you for Nationals OK? I'm going to book tickets this weekend. Part of me wants to run the full, the rest of me doesn't want to train in the winter for a full.

Bugs