Marathon Trainers

Week of 1/6-1/12 (Read 387 times)

Oh Mighty Wing

Murph - thanks!! we're proud of him!! Husker - Welcome! Mr. I - nice run! glad it went well for you 1.7 today. Great day for a run but my lower legs and bottom of feet were really sore and it was uncomfortable. I'm thinking it was just where I was running. I ran the grounds around my school. Some of it is a blacktop path that was laid willy nilly so it is really uneven and it is over hills. So i'm gonna get out tomorrow on a path I know is laid more even and hope it goes better. In shorts and a t-shirt in January - so crazy!!
    evanflein

So... Does Mr. Cashmason think that qualifies as a flippin' race report?? Hmph, I think not, fren. Get back here and tell us how it went!! Or I'm gonna have to come down there in a couple weeks and... oh, wait, I'm doing that anyway! Big grin Seriously though... how'd it go? After an hour on the stationary bike last night (gotta do the cross training thing, ya know), I'm looking forward to a run tonight. But unlike you who have unseasonably warm weather... we've got -11 in the middle of the day (not complaining mind you... it could be much, much worse!), so I'll be on the treadmill.

Bugs

HI GUYS! Feeling good today. Big grin Cash, WTH? Inertia, I'm out of shape, WAY overweight and desperate, want to run a marathon in five weeks, can you help me???? Evil grin

Bugs

Oh Mighty Wing

Cash - yeah the "oh i must have missed it" was my subtle way of saying "where the hell is your race report" especially since we even have a sticky dedicated to it!! Tongue Maybe his sore legs (from biking a day after racing) is prohibiting him from typing??? Erica - yes yes i guess cross training might be important. -11... I don't even know what that feels like. -11F? I think I might have experienced -4 once...Course i've also heard you have a different cold. I mean it's cold but it's a different cold. Dryer or something? Is this true or is it a big fat lie? Mr. I's anticipated response to Bugs: Dear Bugs, Yes, I can help. No it won't happen in 5 weeks. Best of Luck, Mr. I Big grin

Dave

Maybe some cross training tomorrow but the final day of unbelievably nice weather called for a run on the mall today. Did just over 5 somewhere between easy pace and tempo. Probably qualified as junk miles (not easy enough for an easy run but not hard enough for a real tempo effort) but it felt so darn good. Has me entertaining thoughts of an 8:30 MP. Next race will probably be a half and I'll take it for a test spin. Not sure why -11 is such a big deal. Its only 80 degrees less than what I ran in today Shocked Shocked

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Did my 3 in the subdivisions in case I had to cut through back yards toavoid thunderstorm. Got through 2.5 before the serious rain hit. The 30 mph winds made for a challenge, that and the fact I have 2 majorhills that I run in the neighborhood. Glad I got it in. It was 60 degrees--which was nice.
              Cashmason

5.25 miles today running in the new shoes they gave us at the expo for signing up for the half. New shoes gave me blisters on the outsides of both heels. I don't do race reports. My very first marathon I did one. I got IT band pain half way thru it, but limped to the finish line in a very slow time. Someone I had thought of as a friend made a remark about how she was glad that she didnt train like me. She still hasnt run anything over a 5k race. I was born in Germany. I placed an old fashioned German curse on her. Now she has a hard time breathing only when she runs. Mostly I am nice, I can be not nice when I am hurt.
                Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Inertia, I'm out of shape, WAY overweight and desperate, want to run a marathon in five weeks, can you help me???? Evil grin Sure I can help and it's going to be easy! 1. Buy the cheapest shoes you can find. 2. Run as fast as you can until you pass out 5 days per week (day of rest is important) 3. Double your weekly mileage every other week. 4. Focus on nutrition. Remember, highly refined sugars are the best carbs - they're instant energy! 5. If it starts to hurt, you're not trying hard enough. 6. You can SO do this. When the my the polycarbonate window from my storm door blew into my front door hard enough to throw my front door open and the polycarb window ended up in my living room this morning, I decided it was too windy to run. I'm hoping to sneak one in after work. Can't wait till the weekend - getting our Y membership and I'll have TM access at that point.

Oh Mighty Wing

wow Mr. I you really are good at this!!! That advice was the best advice i've ever received and I didn't even know i was looking for advice! hehe

Dave

MrI, I must have read the same article as you because you described my strategy exactly. Ok, maybe not the whole strategy but I am running on $40 Gel Cumulus shoes (that I actually like oddly enough). 7.5 today in what was probably the last nice day for a while (did I say that yesterday too Wink ) Trying to move up to 6 runs per week but I'm finding it to be a difficult jump at least mentally. 6 days per week means 6 runs in a row each week. I'm used to 3 days, maybe 4 at the most.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Travis Groom

Adorable puppy Shan! And yes, I think the Wii does count as cross-training somewhat. There was some report that came out that said most the games don't do a whole lot, but the bowling games burned as many calories as really bowling. Don't know how much I believe it, but hey, it's a good excuse right. I'd say go get Dance Dance Revolution. That game will make you break a sweat! I got it for my trainer for Christmas and we played it New Years and just as a warning...it is much harder when you have a drink in your hand. Running: Sunday: 14k. Good run. Didn't bring any gels or anything so ran out of steam a bit towards the end. Pace was a bit slow because I was running with a bunch of new people, so worked on cadence and form a lot. Tuesday: Ran 6k @ tempo yesterday. GREAT run. First I've been allowed to really go out and run a comfortable pace. Today: Heading out in a few minutes to run 10k. Now, the cold is the cold...not much I can change about it and usually it's not to bad...but it is -18ºC/-.4ºF outside right now...a man has limits (whimper). On the plus side, I look like frosty the snowman after the run. Which is rather entertaining is nothing else.

Oh Mighty Wing

Dave - holy cow! 6 days! and i'm struggling to get to 4. Man i'm a wuss compared to you! 2.5 on the dreadmill. Which is a new record distance for me on that thing!! I think i run to fast on it. I mean i'm going along and as i loosen up i increase the speed and next thing I know i'm running 9:30 min/mile... can only hold that for well actually I donno how long because usually by then i go half a mile and am past the boredom threshold. So anyway, it felt really good though. Sweated ALOT so i'm satisfied! oh and that damn pace bunny just constantly taunts me!!
                          evanflein

Not sure why -11 is such a big deal. Its only 80 degrees less than what I ran in today Shocked Shocked
                            I outta smack you. Heh. Cash, you bad boy. I'll smack you too while I'm at it. Bringin' my own German along, too! Heh. MrI, you're fulla crap. Funny as all get out. But fulla crap. I love it. Heh. Bugs, you get a big ol' {{{hug}}}, just cuz. You're not fat. By the way, Dave, those cumulus are pretty nice... I had a pair that I put over 700 miles on! Good snow running shoes, too. Shan, c'mon... 2.5 on the dreadmill is hardly trying! You've just gotta learn to zone out a bit and the time does go by. But I admit, sometimes it's like that last hour at work after a long day (hey, like... now??) when you check the time and it's just crawling by. I remember running along, thinkin' about stuff, and then I thought, I bet I've gone at least a mile... nope... only .35 Angry The masters group had a thing about "books on tape" for your iPod or whatever while you ran, and someone mentioned french lesson cd's. Reminded me I have some German CD's from our last trip that we never finished. Ahem... gotta get ready to meet Cash in a few days, ya know? Different cold? Well, it is very dry... like skin-cracking/flyaway hair dry. And rarely do we have wind. Is that better? Well, I'd much rather be cold and dry than cold and wet, that's for sure. But -40 is still damn cold no matter how you slice it... Our "high" temp for Saturday is forecast for -20. Now that's cold.

Bugs

Cash, We wouldn't do that to you. Sorry about the shoes, you should send them to the person who said that. Inerita, You forgot to mention to drink lots of alchohl, excellent source of carbs. Also start the race as fast as you can, you'll be tired at the end no matter what so you should up time in the beginning. Shan, Great job on the wedding dress. You must be getting so excited. We're all going to show up for your wedding k? Dgb, I posted once asking about marathon training with 6 days a week, the majority said they did just as well on 5 days. One said they liked alternating 6&5 days. 6 is too much high impact for me. Groov, burr! What do you wear on your legs for that cold of run? I was shopping again today. I just can't get the dress code right for 0F and below. Hi Murphy! Hi Erika! I finally went to doctor, he looked at me like why you are here. One day I am fine, but like today I'm dizzy and weak as all hell. He put me on drugs for a sinus infection. Still planning on racing on Saturday. Perhaps it will be the second race I pass out crossing the finish line.

Bugs

Groov--Im getting adept at playing most games sitting on the couch. So I probably cant count it. Boxing is a decent workout though. However, I plan on getting this when it comes out, and it will count as cross trainiing...http://ezinearticles.com/?Wii-Fitness-With-The-Wii-Fit&id=671318. My wife wants me to get Dancing With the stars. That may provide a decent workout as well. Shan..I can never get much mileage on the dreadmill either. I once managed 8 miles on the 1/9 mile indoor track..but not the dreadmill. Groov-Sounds like some great running..what marathon are you training for? DGB, Im just trying to get a consistant 5 with a day of real cross training. Normally for me thats eliptical until it gets nice and I can get out the bike. Bugs-Good luck with your race--and please dont pass out. Erica-I cant even imagine those temps..or how I would possibly stay fit (or get fit) living in those conditions. I ran 5+ miles tonight in the neighborhood. Relatively slow, but, again, it was very good tough hill work. That should help me during my race, right? Planning on 3 tomorrow, 5 Friday, and 9 Saturday.