Marathon Trainers

4/7-4/13 (Read 211 times)

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Good morning folks. Yesterday was day of rest, today I'll do 3-4 during lunch. I'm scheduled for a pretty big week this week.

Dave

From the sounds of it, Mr. I, last week was a big week too with a sub-2 hour HM PR Big grin Congrats to P2R on his sub 4 hour marathon last weekend. Looking forward to all the details. Did 8 on Sunday. Pulled a calf at about mile 6 and hobbled home. Iced it and motrin. Still a bit sore but hoping to get back out tomorrow. Easy miles to all.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Beer Drinker

my lil girl ran her first race on saturday - the carlsbad jr... 1/4 mile - so freekin cute, pic to follow.. i managed 24 sunday (12 out and back) on the pacific crest trail. felt pretty good, i ran solo and unsupported. i took it pretty easy on the 12 miles going out, mostly up hill and seemed to have decent juice left for the 12 miles return. total of 5k verticle according to my garmin. a little stiff today, esp the joints and quads, but not too bad.. i started from the start of the pct 50, so i did the first 12 miles of the race, and the last 12. a little bummed the i was 14 minutes slower on the first 12 miles than i was last during the race last year, but i guess i wasnt really racing and i did have extra weight since i had to carry all my water. bottom line is i dont think i am in as good of shape as i was last year, but i still have about three weeks to gain fitness before tapering... need to focus on hills hills and more hills.... have a good week everyone!
        Start off easy, then slow down.
        Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

I got in 3.5 slow miles during lunch on my brtualized legs during lunch.

Oh Mighty Wing

Oh Mr. I... so sorry your legs are brutalized!! salad - i can't wait to see the pict! 24 miles? not in as good of shape? carrying water?? what is this craziness you speak of!! Tongue Dave - sorry to hear about the calf! that's no good! 3 miles today - ran fast it was nice! no knee issues!! However... i must be dehydrated my spit was thick like icing... sort of an issue when trying to breath and swallow and run!! So I MUST get myself back into drinking water like a fish during the day - I knew it would become an issue! Oh well!! Day 1 of my first 3 in a row since the injury was a success!

Happy Camper

Race report posted. http://runningahead.com/groups/CRMarathonTrainers/Forum/Post/d1208059edd549b08f5d73227cc09ccc#focus 6-mile recovery run this morning. Feel good. Quads are sore but nothing was injured. Had some puffy hands and swelling that has me looking for a fix before the Berryman 50 next month. Anyone use S caps before? My sodium replacement experience doen't go much beyond Pringles. I'm thinking there have been some advancements since they were introduced. salad: Nice with DD getting the race experience. Glad the trail training went well. Please share the ultra training secrets. I've got a month to recover, mini ramp up and taper again. Best advice I think I've read so far is the Umstead mantra: Drink before your thirsty, eat before your hungry and walk before your tired. Still can't imagine the distance but I'll get there. MrI How are the legs doing? Dave: Hope the calf is just tight muscles. No pulls allowed. ShanHas: More good knee vibes! {{{good knee}}} Erika: So have you decided on the Adventure Racing? {{{Bugs}}}

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Oh Mighty Wing

pace - 6 mile recovery run??? wow!! glad you are feeling that good!! That 50 is that 50 miles or 50 km or 50 (insert any other unit here)? Thanks for the vibes! I think strength training is key!
                Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Yesterday was phase one of my illness. I had headache, dizziness and was having a hard time focusing. All muscles hurt and I was exahusted. Phase two started this morning. Most of my symptoms are gone. Phase two seems to entail me spending most of the day in the restroom. Ugh.

Beer Drinker

pace i use endurolytes made by hammer nutrition. they have less sodium than s caps so you have to take more pills. i used s caps my last two runs because i got some free at the high desert 50k. both brands work for me. been in situations were im cramping and if i pop a couple edurolytes, the cramping stops for about an hour.. that mantra is pretty much sums it up. ive only done 1 50 miler..but when things got ugly i just repeated RFP over and over.. relentless forward progress...relentless forward progress.. dont lolly gag around at the aid stations. its also about damage control. fix injuries, blisters, etc before they get bad. i got pretty hammered in the 50 last year, but it was nothing near as bad as descending el capitain in 105 degree weather, after 5 days climbing on the wall severly dehydrated. we were out of water with 80-100 lbs of gear on back and a 6 mile hike out, with rappels. the darker colored rock was to hot to touch for more than a few seconds. when the 50 got bad, i just kept reminding myself it really wasnt that bad... MRI - that sucks, hope you feel better...

Oh Mighty Wing

Mr I - {{{{{ good stomach/ recovery vibes }}}}}}}} 2 miles + no socks = blisters (planned 3 but crunched for time) Day 2 of 1st 3 in a row - Done and Done!

Happy Camper

Good run this morning! Took yesterday off. Post marathon stuff chimed in all at once. Legs hurt, (espically the quads) mood was off. Woke up this morning feeling much better. Fatigue hangover was gone. Went out for 8-miles with much better effort and pace than Monday. I need to pick it back up as soon as possible. I plan to run trails Sunday. MrI: Hope your feeling better this morning. salad: Thanks for the ultra pointers. I hope to find something like S-caps locally so I can start training with them. I'll have to get them ordered quick if I can't find them. Shanhas: Great job with the 3-day streak. Two down, tomorrow to go!

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Dave

Someone must have bee sending good feelings my way. 2 days off and the calf feels good enough to risk a run (going out after I type this). Looking forward to the DD pics, Salad. Not sure I can get my older daughter to run. We'll see. Great job on the back to backs, Shan. Hope you feel better, MrI. I went ahead and signed up for the USMC marathon this fall. Paid the fee, made it official. Don't think I'll sign up for any more races this year. I've got a HM on 18 May, Army 10 miler in October, now the USMC marathon in November. Full and very militant race card Wink Sounds like you're recovering well, P2R. Very consistent split on your marathon by the way. Rock solid.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Beer Drinker

i didnt run this morning, was overly tired and felt like i needed the sleep, plus my left knee was aching from sundays long run and all the downhill... might get one in tonight, but chances are slim. tessa at the jr. carlsbad - priceless!

Oh Mighty Wing

Wednesday: No running today... legs were very tired so I opted for the gym instead. Decided to consider sticking with 4 days for now. We shall see... Salad - very very cute!!! well it's Thursday now... I'm the last entry so I figured i'd just modify. Run today was awful! feet and lower calves were very sore... i've been thinking i needed new shoes for a while and I was thinking that might be what the pain was from so I bought new shoes. Guy said I am probably not in the "best" shoe - not bad but not best. Need a little more stability. So I'm back in saucony's. Gonna try them on my 8 tomorrow.
                              Cashmason

Great pics of your kid Salad ! If you decide to do Mt. Dis. Gary has a kids race across the parking lot, and each kid gets a ribbon/medal. That is if you bring your kid to an all day race. Ran 5 miles yesterday and 8 miles today. Hope Bugs is doing ok. Shan, probably a good idea to cut it back to 4 days at this point. Optimal training for your fastest time would have you run more, but optimal training does no good if you get to the starting line injured. Inuries occur when the training stress you put on your body is more than the body can repair during your recovery period. Recovery period being off or easy days. Improvement comes when you stress your body more than it is used too, and recovery/ repair of that stress makes you stronger. You get stronger/faster during the recovery period. If more running made us faster, then we would be faster at the end of a long run/ race than we were when we started.