Marathon Trainers

4/7-4/13 (Read 211 times)

Oh Mighty Wing

Cash - thank you! it certainly makes sense... and since my mileage is up and weight training is occurring regularly i guess i have to be careful. I have a question - how do I know if I'm pushing too fast on easy days? The last couple of days i felt like i was running pretty easy and I was running between 9:50's and 10:05's which is 1+ min slower than our long runs and is 30s or so faster than where I was two weeks ago. It's back or slightly under where I was when i got hurt... so am I going to fast to have my recovery runs allowing me to recover?
    Cashmason

Other people may have better answers. But 1 to 2 minutes slower than race pace should be fine. Are you weight training the legs too? It is usually not any one factor, its the accumulated stress. I am sure everyone here has preached to you always do an easy or off day after a hard day. Hard days are long runs no matter what the pace, speed days and hill days. If your legs are sore definately do an easy day or off day, your body is talking to you. Sometimes gentle running when your legs are sore will make them less sore. Sometimes not. The hard part about running is at first your lungs and heart are your limiter. But those improve pretty rapidly and you feel like you can run farther and faster. But your muscles aren't there yet and get sore, eventually those improve too. The last thing to usually improve are your joints, ligaments and tendons. Those take much longer to get strong. So your body is getting better at different rates. And each time we can go faster because the old limiter isn't there anymore. Until something else hurts and slows us down, and you have to rest/ recover and let those get stronger.

Bugs

Hi guys. P2R, YOU RACED AWESOME! SO VERY HAPPY FOR YOU!! Hang on to that post race feeling, there's just nothing like it. Inertia, Awesome PR! Great work. Started walking last week, hard to watch the runners. Just ran a couple of times. I was off work all last week and slept most of the week. Had a nice 14 mile run Tuesday, DocC3 took my watch away else I'd tell you what the time was. Was ready to give up on my main goal for the year of running one race per month since I'm still "out of shape and the closest race was in the cities. Then a friend emails me a new race right in town for April. Good thing I always race better without a watch.

Bugs

evanflein

Bugs, be good... we want you back in shape and in one spunky piece! Take it nice and slowly and come back strong. Salad, cute kid. You don't look one bit like the proud papa... Shan, I'm not going to talk to anyone about pacing... I always do my runs too fast. My EZ pace gets boring and I always step it up. It is important to mix up your runs though, get your body used to running at different paces. The slower EZ runs are less abuse to legs and such, but I think they're harder on the mind. Hi Cash! I was in LA earlier today and thought of you. I was rerouted West because of the American Airlines debacle. Had a good trip to San Antonio though, even with the American nonsense. My flight from San Antonio got canceled, so was rerouted to LA/Seattle/Fairbanks. Instead of getting home at 6:30 pm, I'm getting home at 12:25 A.M. friday morning. Ugh. Got in two treadmill runs today and yesterday, 12.5 miles total. That's it for the week and it's Thursday night! Good thing it's taper time... Feeling good about Boston though. At this point I'd like to just get it done with! DH has been sick, DS2 is sick now... I just can't get that bug! Sitting in the Seattle airport now, getting ready to catch that last plane home. We've got a lot of snow... again... DS1's first soccer trip to Anchorage was canceled because of too much snow. Spring is coming... right???
          Cashmason

Be safe Erika! Bugs so good to hear from you. Ack running nekkid ( no watches or gadgets?) The horror.

Oh Mighty Wing

Cash - Most of my runs re easy... my easiest path to run seems hilly to me and i probably ran that too many times last week. I do weight train my legs because without that I wouldn't be able to run because of my stretched ligaments. Thank you for all of your advice and help! Erika - Hardest part about slowing down is that I don't feel like i'm going too fast... I guess we all have a speed demon waiting to get out! HIYA BUGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Glad to have you back!! Seems like you are moving on to a whole new level of Zen-ness!!! Big grin

Beer Drinker

Cash - thanks for the info in Mt Dis.. its starting to look like im going to miss it again this year. its on 8/9 and i leave for alaska on 8/13. might be easier for me to do the bulldog 50k on 8/23...but dis would be a good 50 miler as it just 5 weeks out from angeles crest, which is what i am gunning for (but very undecided on still). ShanHas - you said " how do I know if I'm PUSHING too fast on easy days?". if you are pushing at all, it might be to much. thats not to say you cant test the waters every once in a while on a long run and push it, but i really like to keep my long runs super chill. i find i can recover much faster and have more quality runs mid week. then again, ive never run a road a marathon and only one road half, so i dont really know what i am talking about. id guess if i quit training for trail ultras and trained for a road marathon, id probably run around 3:45, and i have no prob with long runs at 10:00 to 10:30. my last long was on the pacific crest trail(quite technical and rocky on the downhill) 12 miles out mostly uphill and 12 miles back mostly downhill, i ran a 12:30 pace and felt it was a great workout. have you ever tried the mcmillan calculator? might be a good reference, its pretty cool: http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/Running%20University/Article%201/mcmillanrunningcalculator.htm BUGS! glad yer back! evanflein - thanks! check out the bags under the eyes... we had a dinner party that lasted until 1:30am the night before.. barely made the start of the race! UGH! good luck at boston, i did 22 in the mtns two weeks ago with a guy running it.. enrique medina... i did 10 and change this morning. 5+ mile loop that is mostly flat with a gnarly 3/4 mile hill. did the loop twice, 9:15 pace. legs are not fully recovered from last sundays long run, but still felt pretty good. gonna push for 55-60 miles next week then start tapering. nervous as hell for this race, starting to remember how miserable it was last year.
                Start off easy, then slow down.
                evanflein

...its on 8/9 and i leave for alaska on 8/13. ...
                  Ok, THAT caught my attention! What're you doing coming so far north in our rainy month?

Oh Mighty Wing

Mr I (or anyone else) - what is a progressive run? and what is the point behind them? is it possible for me to do them unintentionally? Salad - i'm not actually thinking about my pace on my non-long runs... I just sort of run all happy and zen like and look at garmie at the end and then once i get home look at splits. (ok and maybe a sneak peak every once in a while - but only ever adjust to slower never faster) So my runs end up where they will - just wasn't sure if for easy days I should think about going slow. 8 miles in new shoes. Twin blisters on my arches where my the heel/toebox/arch meet (change fabric)... otherwise i could have gone farther... So why i asked about the progressive thing is that our long runs always seem to get faster. Oddly enough I always feel better and like i can go longer at the faster pace (still slower then my shorter distance pace but faster then we started) Today we went from mile 1- 13:03 to mile 8- 10:39 and the miles were not up and down... only down... MTA: 15 miles for the week!!! Largest since starting back and where i was before the injury (or ridiculous mileage week leading to it) GOOOOO MMMMEEEEE!!!!!!
                    evanflein

Yes, ShanHas, go YOU! That's awesome. Tread carefully now though, remember what held you back before and don't repeat it! 8 miles today... more than I intended but it was really good running once I was off the deeper slick snow. I've so very much HAD IT with winter. Seems like it doesn't want to let go this year though. Angry Tomorrow will be 10 or so, whatever the spirit moves me to I guess. Then it's serious taper stuff (i.e., not much running) the next week and we leave Friday noonish for Boston. It's ok, I'm calm, cool and collected and Oh. My. God. I'm heading to Boston!!! Big grin Yeah, it'll be fun, weather looks good and lots of gatherings planned with boomer/masters runners and maniacs. Should be fun.
                      Cashmason

Just for Erika, it was 91 degrees here today with 23 mph hot winds. And I live 5 miles from the beach. Inland where SloJim is would have been even hotter.

Dave

A progressive run is where you start slowly and gradually increase the pace so that your every mile is faster than the previous. Usually followed by a cooldown. Its a good high intensity workout and gives you an idea of what pace you can sustain and for how long. I do them occasionally. Shan, from how you described your run, it sounds more like impatience to me Wink I'm guessing that you're just learning what pace you can sustain for what distance. It also sounds like you're fitness is improving pretty dramatically. I sometimes do a progression finish to my long runs (8 miles is pretty long at this stage of your training) but I think most folks recommend a steady, slower pace. I'm still not really running after my calf injury last week. Tried to go on Tuesday but ended up walking back for some of it. May try again today. Its getting gradually better with rest. Very strange though. No pain when I press down my heal to stretch it, just when I stand on my toes and push up. I got word last week that I'm going to have to move next summer to Michigan. Family not exactly thrilled. They're coming around though. Guess I better learn to love the treadmill. 91 degrees? Good grief, Cash.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Oh Mighty Wing

Erika - kinda funny to live in alaska and say you are sick of winter... hehe... at least funny to a person who relates alaska with snow and lots of it! YEAH YOU ARE GOING TO BOSTON!!! Ohhh and I thought of you the other day because my pepper plant has sprouted peppers, we've had to split it into 2 pots, i've got a tomato plant growing, and i bought a begonia! Made me think of how when you were talking about your gardening I was turning my beds into rocks and NOW here I am with plants!! And yes I will be careful and patient - no doing stupid things! Dave - I contemplated the impatience route given my arch blisters showed themselves around mile 2 and i just really really really wanted to be done. But I tried to keep telling us to go slow but we just kept heading towards a comfortable pace. I'm contemplating not looking at our pace next week and see where we land. So technically my run was progressive because every mile was faster then the previous one - I just wasn't doing it consciously!! Tongue Sorry to hear about your calf... are you stretching? It does sound weird, but the body is a weird thing! I'm glad you are being patient though and letting it heal. Is it your job that is taking you to Michigan? And next summer is a ways away so it gives your family time to get use to the idea! Cash - wow that's hot!! I thought we were doing good with 70!!
                            Cashmason

20.44 miles today. Finished it was 75 degrees. Now 93 degrees. Freaking birds stole the Fig Newtons I had stashed, but fortunately not until mile 15. Was doing a 5 mile loop 4 times. Up at 4 30 am running by 5 30 am to beat the heat.

Oh Mighty Wing

darn those birds!!!!