Marathon Trainers

Week of 1/25/2010 (Read 213 times)

evanflein

Last week of January! Is it just me, or is time speeding up on us? I see this Boston Marathon timeline zooming up on me like an oncoming train. Just hope I can hang in there to get to the starting line uninjured and somewhat prepared.

{{Perry's ankle}} Now cut that out, ok? Team Blister can't afford to have you out of running form! (hope it's nothing serious and gets better real soon)

Pam, did you say you ran with Shan? How's she doing? That sort of caught me by surprise... Good to hear you had a good week last week.

I ran my scheduled 10 miles and even added .5 on at the end. Got colder than I was thinking it would be and might have nipped my cheeks a bit. Oh well, nothing serious. Next time I'll pay attention to the forecast for the area I'll be running in, and not up on the hill where it's usually much warmer. Legs were tired and lifeless but I made it through. Today will be errands at lunchtime and pool running day after work. Nice to have a light day on the books. Have a good week everyone!!

Time is FLYING Erika! Nice run! Enjoy your light day! Yes I ran with Shan yesterday.  A mutual friend of ours was in town from Nashville. She's doing well.  Thanks!

Today was a 4 mile recovery run. Felt great. Overdressed a bit and had to strip half way into run. GREAT weather despite the major wind factor going on. I had thought about postponing it until the wind died down a bit but decided against waiting. The warmth and rain felt NICE!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I like to say, if you're running on tired legs, you're probably getting good marathon training. (Dunno how accurate it is, but it sounds great).

Wife is finding training takes too much time, and she is liking the idea of doing the Half at National instead; much less pressure to train lots of miles. I may just spectate -- all my races are tentatively scrubbed, til my ankle recovers. Glad I wasn't too invested in any particular race. Slightly bummed out about Bull Run 50, which I was going to register for today, but don't care all that much -- almost every race comes around again in a year anyway.

It's warm out here -- maybe it will still be warm when I start running again; that would be great. Being cold all the time is getting tedious.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Sorry about the ankle, Perry, and the lost streak -- much more important to get better than to hold the streak anyway, I think.

Skiing today: there was one especially good run called Cloud 9, snow was nice and fluffy, maybe a bit heavy, with some interesting mounds.  Unfortunately the first time we went down this I found a rock and did a face plant.  Skis didn't come off, and left calf wasn't happy about it.  We'll see how that goes.  It didn't hurt to ski but it does hurt to walk.  Uh, a lot.  Sad

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Aw, man, hope that (pain) is gone tomorrow Lou.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

evanflein

Lou!! This break is supposed to get you back to running, remember?? Knock off the rock hunting, ok? I sure hope you didn't do something serious to your calf. It's your inner thigh you're supposed to be healing up, ok? Geez.

40 minutes pool running after work. 

What Erika said Lou!!! Hope the calf is alright!

How's the ankle Perry??

Hey bugs, package came today. THANKS again!

I am beat. Woke up this morning early. Felt way over stimulated. However an hour of hard boxing (may have been the Wii kind but that doesn't keep me from pulling punches) has left me tired. Sure hope I can lift weights tonight with dh. Got 10 miles of rolling hills tomorrow. Can't wait!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Thanks, guys.  The calf is much, much better.  Still sore but not limping -- even improved since this morning.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Happy Camper

Glad you're better Lou.

I'm off to meetings in Orlando tomorrow.  Just travel and I arrive around 12:00.  Hope to run in the afternoon and each morning I'm down there.  Weather looks great!

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

theyapper

On the road again...

Glad your calf is feeling better, Lou.

Didn't run yesterday - a bit under the weather.  Still not completely better but ran today anyway.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Dave

Good for you for getting out there, Paul.

Sounds like we've got some busy folks out there in Blister this week with so many of us on the road.  I like the idea of P2R's travel better than mine since I'm in northern Indiana today. 

Hope you feel better, Perry and I hope the skiing went well for you, Lou.

Just under 3 treadmill miles this morning as my mileage has fallen off yet another cliff.  Nothing more effective to fix that than actually running.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Cashmason

Glad you are feeling better Lou.

This next Half in 10 days is gonna be ugly.   Ran just 7 miles last night,  hot spots on both feet,  abs hurt and achilles tight at 5 miles.

Not nearly enough trainiing miles run, but nothing to be done about that now.

Ringmaster

Huh. I think my post disappeared.

Team Blister seems to be under heavy fire. Hoping all the aches and pangs out there go away.

I ran for the first time in five days today--an easy 6. I was delighted to find that I was knee-pain-free. I'm wondering whether to rest tomorrow or do an easy 3 or 4 but running will probably win as I'm financially committed to my three race-weekend in . . . um . . . four weeks. Yikes.

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                            Mile by Mile

Ok my foot getting better was NOT on the condition that others get injured etc! Sending all the get better vibes to those who need them on Team blister!!!!

Glad to hear your run was knee pain free Vix! I say easy 3 or 4 tomorrow (not that you asked)

Did an hour of boxing yesterday which flaird my shoulder injury (from fall). SURPRISE SURPRISE lol. So no boxing until it's better! Got 10 miles in today. Ran with my RP. She through in a nice big hill into the run (DAMN IT HURT). Gradually getting different types of hill runs in each week. Next week will be large hills the week after EXTRA large hills. Gotta get ready for Boston. Oh and my girlfriend spoke with a mutual friend of ours and got us signed up for the 1-6 shift on Saturday afternoon to hand out race goodies at the Boston Expo. CAN"T WAIT!

Bugs

Erika,

You ran 10 miles, wow. I can't believe how you can go from XTing to running long like that.

Pam,

I am envy of your weather. So very cold and windy here. I really miss the fresh air though.

Way behind here. Just got off the treadmill, 10K slow.

Having my own medicine issues. I sometimes think I should write my personal issues here, but then I think maybe it would help someone else. I fell off the happy pills for a few days I'm having big terrible withdrawl issues. I got so panicky and couldn't do nothing for a week. I stopped runnning, I didn't care, although I did hurt my butt biking with a friend, or maybe it was the lunges. Well the last four days been hard on my family, you know you're doctor is tough when you tell him, "close my account, go away and stay there" and he still calls you at night to make sure you haven't checked out. I use to think those pills made me run faster, but I think instead it is the withdrawl stage from them that makes you slow. Just man everytime you think you're loosing you're frickin mind. I ran tonight and struggled with tightness in my chest even at 2 miles but forced out a 10K. funny doc called me while I was running, told him felt like a heart attack. It ain't me, I know what to do, I know it'll pass. Life is good.

Kitchen got torn out this week, so will be making only brief appearances.

Bugs