Marathon Trainers

Week of 1/25/2010 (Read 213 times)

Bugs

Got an extra dose of good sleep last night and am so anxious to run tonight on the TM since it is so cold. I'm glad I have a job to go to now, just wish I could run now.

Perry, sorry you're having ankle issues. Smart men swim now and then.

Bugs

Glad to hear you got a run in yesterday Bugs and good luck on tonights run! Thinking of ya!

Glad the ankle is coming along Perry!

Nice workout Kimmie and way to get out for your run last night!

Thanks for the vibes Erika they worked! That or the day of rest combined with the Flexerall plus pain relieving gel that dh rubbed on my shoulder last night worked! Woke up with shoulder feeling MUCH better and I was able to get out for a nice freezing 10 miler. This weather has been crazzzzzzzzzzzzzy this year. Earlier in the week we get a day in the 60's and now it's back to teens with high wind (well it was high wind in the 60's the other day as well). Double layered today though didn't have the heavy gloves on (will next time)

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Hawt and sexy

It is so cold my cat is running a marathon in my apartment.  It's kinda cute.

My shoulder hurts from spending so much time on the 'puter.  When I started up on year-round running, I fell on that side, so I just wonder if it is more proof that the warranty on the body has expired. 

I am almost done with an afghan.  It is so nice to work on those right now.  Oh darn, the afghan must lay on me in this cold cruel world while I finish it.  heh

I'm touching your pants.

theyapper

On the road again...

Had a great run - just over 7 miles.  I chuckled the whole time thinking about how Erika deals with crazy cold temps and the thing that motivated me to run was the realization that I'd get to do it while snow was falling.  It's all about where you live - and down here in the south we don't see snow much.  It was the first run I've had in awhile where I had to make myself stop (well, my wife driving out to find me after I was gone longer than expected had something to do with me stopping, too).

Hope you all feel better soon.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Bugs

I didn't run last night, too tired. Had a good SEVEN MILE run today on the TM. And tomorrow I am biking with my injured RP at the Y but I said I have to go EASY so I don't screw up Sunday.

Willa,

you knit? Sorry you just seem too wild to knit. The only way to fix those shoulders is start stretching your back the other direction. I lay on a Miracle Ball, breast stroke is great, but I know the EXACT pain you're talking about and it makes running a misery. Go spend $10 and gets a good ball to roll on. Oh an foam rolling ain't bad either. Lift your arms so it gets inbetween your shoulder blads.

theyapper66,

you're funny. I'm glad you hang here. I've had enough of winter. I got a bunch of family in ND with no electricity for 9 days because of storm. I bet they've really had it!

Kim,

Have a GREAT trip. Love the pictures of your girls on FB.

Bugs

theyapper

On the road again...

theyapper66,

you're funny. I'm glad you hang here. I've had enough of winter. I got a bunch of family in ND with no electricity for 9 days because of storm. I bet they've really had it!

Perspective's a funny thing, ain't it?? Sorry they've had such a rough go, but my kids (okay, and me, too) are going NUTS about the 2 inches on the ground with more falling. This'll probably shut our town down for days.  

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Cashmason

I am thinking  Erika's teeth problems come from shivering in that cold weather running,  not from grinding teeth in her sleep   

Glad you are doing better Bugs.

I need to catch up around here.  I've been avoiding RA a bit because it's too depressing (plus I've been super busy at work -- hey, what are vacations for anyway?  Smile )

But I'm going try to run a bit this morning.  If I get 3-5 miles in I'll be satisfied.  Hmm, I have 20 on the schedule for tomorrow.  That seems unlikely, but we'll see how I feel after today.

Bugs, do you have a race Sunday, or a long run planned?

MTA:

5 or so miles, uneventful, avg pace 8:55 (had trouble slowing down more than that).  Calf had been feeling stiff, not exactly painful, and this continued at the beginning of the run, especially uphill.  But it seemed to loosen up after a couple of miles.  We'll see how it goes for the rest of the day.  Then I'll decide how far tomorrow -- I have 20 on the plan and I'd like to get that in, but that may be unrealistic.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Ringmaster

Good to see you crazy people getting out in all kinds of inclement weather to run. Goes to show you truly crazy runners are. I'm thinking of Kimmie, running today in pretty warm temps in my sunshine state--on vacation, no less! I tell ya, runners have a different set of priorities.

Willa, I'm thinking of starting a blanket for my girlfriend who's pg w/ #3. Better start now--she's halfway--or it'll be a scarf instead of a blanket.

I was so excited to get new shoes yesterday--a model I tried last year but haven't run in since--and then I get them and they're too big. I swear this is the same model and size I ran in last year--what gives? And of course NO ONE has this shoe in the right size b/c I'm a cheapskate and it's last year's model. Very frustrating.

Rest day today; half-mile repeats planned for tomorrow--on what shoes, I'm not sure. 

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                    Mile by Mile

Hawt and sexy

I am not really that wild, I swear.  Crazy maybe...

I don't knit.  I am a hooker, heh, I crochet.  Big grin

I'm touching your pants.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Local trail run this morning. Brought a bunch of equipment and used none of it. Wasn't snowing at all when we started driving over, was all white when we got there. So it was a fun run -- three, actually, cause they ran to put a few little plastic cones down on the course, then they did the fun  run when a couple more guys showed up, then after we left, they ran it again to retrieve the little plastic cones.

All the equipment I brought (big cones, finish line stuff, clock, etc), and all we actually used was (#1) some little plastic cones someone else brought, and (#2) big jug of hot chocolate. Yummm for #2. I did walking loops with another member of the IR, and my toes go really cold.

See, walking isn't as good as running -- it doesn't keep the feet warm enough.

Was hoping to swim today, but am very unlikely to drive again (cause of snow). Wasn't sure we'd make it back up the hill from the park where the trails were (cause of snow on road), but happily we did make it.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

PS: DW doesn't like trail runs b/c of uneven footing, so wasn't going to run, but got too cold standing so she ran it after all, to warm up. Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

evanflein

10.1 miles today when the plan was 8. Legs were tired and sore after all the squats and lunges yesterday, but I did ok. Even managed a sub-9 mile on the hill back to home...

Bugs, I hope you're ok. Wish I was there cuz it sounds like you need a good hug and a running partner who can run with you. You, my dear, are one of the people I'd most like to go run with, ya know? I think that'd be fun.

Wild and crazy Amanda is crocheting? Goodness... the things I learn here.

Cash. 

Happy Camper

Good to be back home.  Nice to see DW and DS2 last night.  Very nice weather in Orlando the past few days and was able to make it home through all the crap weather.  It's funny when you are too far North for the snow around here.  Inlaws in SW MO got over 6" after ice.  Memphis TN was all ice.  Here, nothing.  Not even that cold.  We stayed very close to Disney and the company rented a portion of the park for us one evening.  I had some great running weather but it's funny how I slowed down as the week went on.   Days were all sitting in meetings.  Nights were,  well, ..... more fun.  Thursday's run was the worst.  I think the buzzed feeling wore off around 10:30 am.  The run at 4:30 am was, well, very buzzing.  GPS map on my log shows just how close to the park we were.  Not a hill  to be found.

Hope everyone is doing/getting better now.  I like to think that some weeks are just better than others.  Here's hoping that this will be one of them. 

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Bugs

Lou,

Ah man, next week will be happier I swear. Hope your calf get better. They can be tricky.

Erika,

I'm fine really, just really dumbness on my part. The side effects should only last another week. I would love to run with you too...it will happen one day.

Perry,

How is the ankle? You always make me chuckle.

Willa,

Wild but not a hooker. I would set you up with my brother, but hell I'd set anyone up with my brother. Wink

Pam,

Can't believe that electr. stim machine took so long to get there. I'll be curious if it helps you.

Had a very nice 10 mile long run on the TM. 9:22 pace. Not trying to go real fast, just building back some miles, but I can tell you man to have the itch to run and train back feels great. All this TM running and I still can't keep up with the TIVO.

MTA: Who ever starts next week, needs to start with Kim's Birthday on Monday!

Bugs