Marathon Trainers

Week of 1/13 - 1/19 (Read 323 times)

Cash--Im really sorry about your dog. Very Sad. Anyone can feel free to start the weekly thread. Ran my 9 on Saturday morning. It was good having someone to run with. We did good pushing each other. Was a nice crisp morning. My knee is much better. Giving it a day off was good. No problems after running Friday night and then Sat morning. Actually cross trained today- 1/2 hour on the eliptical. Good run, bugs! Glad it went well.
    Cashmason

1 hour of swim drills in a pool today with the tri club

Bugs

Cash, Very sad news. Sounds like you guys went through a lot. Great job on the weight loss, I had no idea. Erika, I was 5th out of 17 woman. A fast majority of the runners ran the 6K this year. I was happy to see that I would not have received any more awards if I had ran my time from last year. There is a HM in St. Paul next week. It is always so cold, but would like to try it next year. No doubt if you lived here you'd be running it. Didn't get a run it, started doing aerobics, but pooped out. Tomorrows another day. I did make cabbage soup to help with the weight loss issue. I run faster at 118lbs. Tight lipped I've been reading Jack Daniels Running formula book. Formula is right, too many dam tables, abbreviations, etc.. But still I'd like to try it. I know I tend to go right from base building to quality work. A schedule like this might be good for me.

Bugs

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Cash - so sorry about your dog. Dogs are one of God's greatest gift to us, so tough to lose one, especially one you've known for so long. Bugs - I ran Running Formula for a few months before I really got into it. Was too tough of a read I thought. After a while I plodded my way through it and am glad I did. Lots of great stuff in there. The framework he gives for training intensities alone makes the book worth owning. 6.5 this morning. Outside of my right knee (is that the IT band?) started getting a little sore on Saturday's run. Not sore, actually, just letting me know it's there. Same thing on today's run - not sore, just there. Gonna start icing it just in case.

Dave

Cash, sorry to hear that news. They really are part of the family. MrI, sounds like an IT band issue. There are some very specific stretches that will help if you search a bit. Better to rest it a bit then really aggravate it. I ignored a sore hamstring and did 9 yesterday at a nice moderate pace. Did a new route that went around the outside of a large shopping mall not too far from my house. About halfway around (on the access road that encircles) a security guy in a pickup truck yelled at me that there was "NO RUNNING". Guess he wanted me in the mall as a typical fat consumer. At least he didn't say "NO JOGGING" Big grin I kept going and turned off as soon as I could. Will probably go 5 today. Easy miles to all...

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Bugs

Inertia, It could be an easier read. maybe two books one for coaches, one for blue collar runenrs. Are you doing his marathon program? What kind of mileage are you going to max out on? Man I read it and so badly just wanted a coach to tell me what and how to run. I decided I needed a quiet house to read it, will see if that ever happens. Guys, take care of those aches and pains. Now is a good time to hold back. Below zero here, nice crisp refreshing run.

Bugs

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

I'm modeling my training after Pfitz's 18/55 plan. I'm going to try to max out at 60, but will be ok if that doesn't happen. Daniels has a lot of great info on LT training and I've got some of his workouts mixed in with Pfitz's.

Oh Mighty Wing

Murphy - nice runs/cross training! Cash - hope the swim went well Bugs - can you run on just cabbage? Wink Am reading Daniel's now. It's going very VERY slowly as it's my bedside reading. Hopefully i will get through it smarted than I started - I feel smarter so I think it's working. Thankfully I have a friend whose our cross country coach who said he will tell me what it all means when I am ready! Mr. I - ice and stretch (I know you rarely do that) might not be a bad idea. What Pfitz book did you read? I was thinking I would head there after (read - if) I get done Daniels. Dave - and is the hamstring ignoring you back? Funny mall security dude - much healthier to drive around in his truck to make rounds then to walk or something. I'm giving myself a WOOT today!!! Because at mile 5 of my 8.2 (YEAH BABY) mile run I attempted to cross a bridge. Well it was raining all day and it is only mid30's out. SO the second I put a foot on the bridge I fell square on my hip and forearm and let me tell you I do not fall lightly. I think I screamed out a little. Quick hit Gertie because I didn't want to lose down time! After overcoming shock I got up walked and whimpered (more like yelped) a few time and started running again!!!!! My last 3 mile splits were faster than any of the 5 before the fall!!!! So WOOOOOOTTTT to me!!!! Yes PS. i'm bruised and bleeding -- think I better ice that hip if I want to move it tomorrow!!!
                    Bugs--read your race report. Sounds like you did fantastic. And I think focussing more on running is a great idea. Maybe its just me, but I think most of your injuries were hapening while doing a lot of other activities as well. Mr I be careful--but nice work on the recent runs.. DGB-Funny about the security dude. I wonder if he would have let you walk. I know when travelling Ive run around shopping plazas around the back where they take deliveries. Never had a problem. Shan--WOOOT! Good job pushing through. Be careful, you dont want to be all bruised for the big day! Ran 3 tonight on the bike trail. About 30 degrees with dustings of snow throughout the day today. There were a couple slick patches, but I managed about a 10:45 pace. Felt real good. I remembered the cold isnt that bad. Just need something to cover my face while running. Will probably break out my Advanced Marathoning book just for the heck of it. But Im gonna stick to my schedule. But I remember lots of good info in there last time I read it as far as form, diet, etc. Oh, and I passed the 1000 mile pace bunny today..I expect to put some distance between us as training picks up.
                    evanflein

Good job running, guys! Sounds like things are coming along pretty well... MrI, yeah that sounds like it might be ITBS... Cash is our resident expert on it. Cash, I replied about your dog on last week's thread. So sorry about that, but sounds like she had a very good life with you. Shan, way to pick it up and keep going! Hope you're ok.... Nice run though. Cold days around here... -35 most of today (a little warmer up here where I am, but not much). Not a running day anyway though. Cranked out 30 minutes on my stationary bike. Was gonna do some abs and whatever, but blew it off. I'm tired. Had an early dinner and now nothing for 12+ hours cuz I'm having blood work done tomorrow. Rats. No coffee tomorrow or nothin' . Angry Oh well, gotta do it every few years I guess.
                      Cashmason

23 miles biking then 5 miles running today. Mr I. If the pain is at the little bump on the outside of your knee, it is probably IT band pain. Icing will reduce the inflamation, and reduce the pain. Bad news is, if that is all you do the pain will come back. And the more you run, the more likely it is to go from a minor annoyance, to feeling like someone is stabbing you with a red hot ice pick in the side of the knee. And if you bend the knee it will collapse on you. If you walk stiff legged the pain subsides a lot and you can at least walk to where you want to get. The IT band is not muscle, ligament or tendon. It is fascia. Just like the bottom of your foot. Since it is not muscle it doesnt get much blood supply, therefore it doesnt heal very quickly. The pain comes from the band getting tight, and therefore becoming shorter, and then it rubs over that bump on the outside of the knee and becomes painful. You need to lengthen the band to cure the problem. ART massage or deep tissue massage can help. So can a 15 dollar foam roller. No a pool noodle wont work, its not solid enough. Sometimes but not always stretches will work. Google Walt's stretch. Walt Reynolds has a good stretch to help the problem. For most people, the root problem is a weak core muscle in your butt/hip called the gluteus medius. When you run, one leg is in the air, the other is on the ground. If you have a strong glute medius, your hips will stay level with one foot on the ground one in the air. If it weak, then gravity will pull the hip down on the side where the leg is in the air. When the glute medius is weak, then the IT band on the leg that is on the ground will try to pull on your hips to make them level again. That is normally the glute medius' job, but when it fails, the task falls to the IT band. This also happens when roads are tilted ( cambered) for rain run off. One hip is a little lower than the other because of the tilt of the road, and the glute medius and IT band try to adjust the hips to level. You can do side leg lifts and clam shells to strengthen the glute medius. A website called EXRX.net is great for figuring out what muscles are where in the body and what exercises you can do to strengthen them. There is a picture of the human body, just click on the part that hurts and it will show you what muscles are there and what exercises to do. Hope that helps. Cash

Oh Mighty Wing

Cash - wow! I have to keep track of this log so if I ever have this problem I reap your wealth of knowledge!! Erica - not eating is probably worth it to make sure you are healthy. Murphy - damn you for beating the bunny!! hehe I'm 10 miles behind... but i'll get there!! So this morning I definitely have a burn and bruise on my arm. My hip is red and a little swollen but no bruise yet. It is letting me know it is there on the stairs, but other than that I feel great! So we'll have to see how today's run goes. I'm thinking i'm going to re-structure my runs to get all 4 in during the week because w/o TP getting my behind out the door i'm not doing well with weekend running. So I figure the best way to handle that is to restructure. Ok well it's a slow thread today so i figured i should just add to my morning post... So today i decided to work out with the soft ball girls so we ran 2miles (by my best guess), did some ab work, then a couple sprints. I also went to gym and did legs and abs. I have to say my legs are very tired now!! Glad to have a rest day tomorrow!

Dave

I wasn't able to pull away from work for my run today and took advantage to make it a rest day. Did cross training (more crossfit) for about 30 minutes so it wasn't entirely wasted. The hamstring was actually not a running injury. Just left over soreness from the cross training last week. Fortunately today was not as difficult. Will try and get in 6 tomorrow to keep ahead of the 1500 mile bunny. I had built up a 15 mile lead but it doesn't take long for her to catch up.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Yeah, I havent checked in on the 1500 mile bunny yet. WHen my training maxes out for the Flying Pig, I think I will be on targer. But that 1000 mile bunny is eating my dust!!! 6 tonight on the bike trail. Colder than last night, but so far the cold hasnt bothered me. It was in the low-mid 20s tonight. Another 10 degrees cooler and I'll probably change my tune. Feeling real good and in that zone where I feel drawn to go out. It really is about getting in the habit and routine of runing. The more I go out the easier it is toget out there.
                              Travis Groom

Great tempo run today. I always surprise myself when I can run under a 6:00/k pace (it's a mental thing. Coming from having weighed 375 lbs to the 230 I am now, I see under 6 and panic thinking there's no way I should be able to sustain this and psych myself out.) Ran a solid 5:35 pace today with 10:1 walk breaks so was very content (and happy I was at the front of the pack.) Cash - Very sorry to hear about your puppy. They really are a part of your family. I have my own Jack Daniels running plan. Run 1 mile, take a shot. Run 1 mile, take a shot. Run 1 mile, puke. Take a shot. Run 1 mile. Pass out until tomorrow. It's rather effective.