Marathon Trainers

Week of 2/25 to 3/2 (Read 203 times)

Dave

Thought I'd kid off this week's thread. Hope everyone's Sunday runs were great and that everyone is running smart and healthy. For the second weekend in a row, I didn't run. Getting ready for a longish today to make up for it. I did, however, spend about 20 hours painting my family room (ceiling, trim, walls...). My wife was thrilled. The miles and the pace bunny will just have to wait for now Roll eyes HM this Sunday. Shooting for 1:53 or thereabouts and running with another RA runner from the Northern VA forum (trikevin, AKA tecdad from our CR days). Kevin is doing the full and I'll pace him for the first half.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Slept in today. Felt fatigued (not just tired) all day yesterday like I had some iron or blood sugar issues going on. I'll run my 8 miler tonight. Bugs - I'm trying like heck to run 5 days per week - mostly it's been 4, sometimes 3. 12 more weeks - trying like heck to be more consistent. I posted a question about progressive runs and in someone's answer they referred to me as "low mileage, slow runner". That stung. I do think when the weather breaks my inner running fiend is going to surface and cut loose. (at least I hope it does). dgb3n - good luck getting back after 2 weeks off. Watch out trying to make up for lost time. Usually when I try that it bites me in the butt. I've had best luck just picking up where I left off. YMMV. Good luck on your HM!

Dave

MrI, there seem to be a group of runners on the main discussion boards here that probably would fit in better under the old CR "Mainstream Racing". There was some good info in that thread but some of the elitism bothers me as well. I can't run even a single 6 minute mile anymore and I've never done a 40 mile week in my life but it doesn't make me slow or "low mileage". Heck, I'm over 40 and still running consistently. We'll see how well those young wipper snappers are doing in another 20 years. Cool Fortunately, I didn't take the whole week off last week, just the weekend. Logged a fairly fast paced (for me in case anyone from the main boards is reading) 8.5 today. Nice weather and made me feel better about skipping my long run yesterday.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Bugs

Inertia, Don't feel bad, they said my mileage was low for a HM that is 14 weeks away. 30 miles with a LR of 10, how bad can that be? Now it is 12 weeks away, 35 mpw, with LR of 12. Funny people. Body was cranky last night, was walking with ice around the ankles. But it was just general body getting back in shape pain. 3+ mile recovery run today, body has earned a rest.

Bugs

Happy Camper

Bugs: The trail shoes I got are Adidas Reponse TR-X. Neutral shoe. Less weight and cushion than road shoes since it is a given you are running trails in them. They are supposed to stay dry with snow and dew and to shed water and dry quickly from water crossings. I liked them better than taking the expensive Kayano 13's through the water. I know that would hurt the cushioning for sure. 10-miler this morning. First 8 were okay pace then zap! no energy and it's two 11-minute miles too finish the run . I don't know what the problem is. Hope I can correct it with better eating and more sleep at night. HR avg for the entire run dropped to 130bpm. I just couldn't push it up and run faster. I would have stopped but it was an out & back route. MrI & Dave: Slow runners unite!

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Cashmason

15 miles today at average heart rate of 129. Yes that makes it a reallly slow run. Do I care? Nope. I don't race my training runs anymore. Got hurt doing that. When I did the tri last weekend, the run was the first event. They said all you slow 8 minute milers go to the back. Well me and my 8 and half minute race pace went to the back . The run part I finished 59th out of 228. There were 83 college agekids on college triathlon teams. That makes them 30 years younger than I am. I finished ahead of 33 of them. As my swimming gets better, I will do better than that.

Bugs

Inerita, You know 5 days of running is better than 3, be proud you have a life beyond running. I am so addicted to exercise I have a hard time taking a rest day. Dgb, You owe me a virtual race. P2R, You are an amazing runner. Don't forget it. Cash, Are you stronger on hills because of the biking? I'm trying to figure out how I improved in this area. Des Moines marathon has serious hills and I'm wondering if I should keep the biking in all summer. I could run on Thursdays, and then bike some. I did this for my first marathon after my LRs, pulling 80lbs (my boys). Wow was I good shape then. Erika, I keep thinking about how you trained last year. You've really done some amazing running in the last year. I would be thrilled just to do a fraction of that. I'm on a plan to go from 35 mpw to 50 in May. I am building from a 10 mile race in March, 20K in April, HM in May. Then I want to back off the miles and do several 10Ks. By June I want to go into marathon training. Not sure what kind of plan I'll do. Maybe a modified Hal Higdon, or see what runner's world smart coach comes up with. Think my problem with Hal's plans is that all he does is build miles. No specific time for speed work, thus I add it anyway. I need a longer more gradual plan. I know listen to your body, stay injure free, , prepare to adjust the training schedule, blah, blah, but blah...but think that sounds like a good plan for the year? Serious diet failure today. Embarrassed

Bugs

Hi all. That cold really knocked me back. First run since the 13th tonight. Eased back into it --3 good miles. I really need to work back into it and not fall into my old lazy habits. Cant afford togo almost 2 weeks again and give a good effort for a May marathon. Jus sucked all the energy out of me and the weather was horrible on top of it. Been eating more junk as well. Refocussing this week..May be running in snow tomorrow. good luck on your 1/2 dgb..im sure you'll do great.
                  Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

So I'm dusting my car off this morning and I slipped and fell...twice. And people run in this crap? 8 easy last night and 5 easy this morning - on the treadmill of course.
                    evanflein

Bugs, I have been using a modified Hal Higdon (Intermediate II) plan for over a year now. I add stuff to it (mostly hills and some extra miles) and it's worked very well for me. I've been adding more 10k pace mile repeats lately because of this relay (target speed is 10k pace), but will not keep that up in the last few weeks before Boston. Running on the icy stuff is tricky, great for your core workout! But I do use traction aides on my feet... spikey's which are like having studded tires on my feet! Not so good in soft snow, but great on ice and hardpack. Cash, that's an amazing low HR. I get mine higher than that walking down the road! My HR tends to be higher than a lot of people anyway. I think I have a pretty high max HR, but have never tested it. 5.4 miles tonight, including 2 at 10k race pace (7:30) with half mile at 8:34 in between. All the rest was at 8:49. Felt easy enough, but I wanted to be done with it. Gotta finish packing for my trip to AZ.... I leave early Thursday am ! Shocked
                      Cashmason

Bugs the biking has helped my running. Running hills would probably be better than biking them. But biking them is better than doing nothing. Erika, my max heart rate is 192 beats a minute. Women do tend to have slightly higher heart rates than men, on average 6 beats a minute more at max. Hour of spin class 20 minutes of weights and 800 yards swimming.
                        Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

8 easy on the tm this morning. I'm sick of winter to the point that I'm sick of complaining about it. I can't seem to stop doing it, but I'm sick of it nonetheless.
                          Cashmason

8 mile run at 9 am. 75 degrees already. Gonna be a hot summer.
                            evanflein

Forecast for Arizona relay this weekend: thur: mostly sunny, high 78f, low 51f fri: sunny, high 79f, low 51f sat: sunny, high 80f, low 52f And the humidity could be down around 10% most days. We'll be sucking water like crazy! Still... forecast for HERE for this weekend is highs of -20...heh. Will try to get 10 in this evening, keeping the last half at marathon pace and no faster. Gotta resist the urge to bump up the speed to get the miles in sooner. I get impatient and rush too many of my runs. Bad habit... Murphy, glad to see you back out there. This can be a hard time of year for motivation, but you've gotta keep that goal race in mind!

Bugs

How many races have you run? How many miles have you run in races? I searched my logs, and this was my results: Entries: 34 Distance: 211.5 miles Duration: 29:49:18 Post your results.

Bugs