Marathon Trainers

Week of 2/25 to 3/2 (Read 203 times)

Happy Camper

I'll play! Earliest entry is 09/05/2005. Entries: 46 Distance: 392.7 miles Duration: 60:00:24

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Bugs

I'll play! Earliest entry is 09/05/2005. Entries: 46 Distance: 392.7 miles Duration: 60:00:24
      Excellent!!!

Bugs

Dave

I'll go to the other end of the spectrum: Entries: 9 Distance: 69.3 miles Duration: 10:17:39 About 5 of those are 2 mile tests for the Army too ... Maybe that's why I get to unite with the other slow runners Blush

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Happy Camper

7-miles this morning. I guess I am getting what I need the hard way. Work has just been nuts this week. I've had early morning commitments Tuesday, Wednesday and today so the mileage has dropped. I feel fresher and have gotten a little faster at the same average heart rate so it must be a good thing. I'm just going to have a different taper this marathon. This Sunday and next weekend will be it for long-run opportunities. I'll be doing shorter runs and maintenance running from March 9th until the Marathon on April 6th. Any suggestions on how to handle that length of time (28 days) without a longrun? What types of runs would you do and at what distance? I will be racing a 5k on March 15th and a 1/2M on March 22 that I know inspite of what I say, I'll end up doing at full effort. I don't think a tempo run on weeks that I'm not racing would be a good thing. I'm thinking M pace runs and easy effort runs at varying distances is the way to approach it. Maybe mix strides in on an easy pace run during non-race weeks? I'm open to ideas here! Things are looking positive for the 5k we are putting on Saturday. Hope to make this a worthwhile, annual benefit. It has been a learning experience for me and am looking forward to a successful day for everyone participating!

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Bugs

Dgb, If we start having virtual races you can get your race miles up higher. P2R, I didn't know you had a marathon this soon. I saw you posting mega runs but you're always running crazy long. That's a long taper. Did you do any searching for schedules that taper longer? Does seem if you lower the miles you can up the intensity. You have so many miles in the bank bet you will be just fine. I'm shocked I got beat on # of race entries. My log starts 2006, but has all the races I have done since 7th grade. Today - 5 miles in 45:06. Was suppose to be 5 miles including 6-400's @3:58 or something silly. I was thinking 400 was a half mile. I don't know why I was so dumb, I ran 800 in track so you'd think I have this down. Well I just ran as fast as I could for .5 mile stretches. It was snowing hard and blowing in my face too. Close enough to the training plan. My hip/lower back has been cranky. I see chiropractor tomorrow. Think I need @ss work. Blush

Bugs

Oh Mighty Wing

Doc Report -- I don't see anything in the MRI that's good. Do you feel like your knee is going to give out. Oh you don't. well. When i move your leg your right knee (the hurt one) is looser than the left one - feel that. When you were young you probably did some ligament damage. So i'm going to send you to PT to help tighten that up and hopefully we will be able to run again... Then he left the room, when i asked the nurse what it meant she said your knee is instable and PT will help strength your quad's. What did I get from all this you ask? Well here's how it sounded to me " I have no idea what's wrong and why your knee hurts but go to physical therapy for a month." I'm contemplating looking for another doctor one who in the LEAST will explain to me what they are thinking... especially if they want to make me wait 1 hour to get in there... you guys are running well it seems. And man have you all run some races!!!! I've run 2. They totals 9.3 miles. Total time is around 1:38.

Beer Drinker

races: 4 miles: 170.5 duration: 29:05:00 me slow.
                Start off easy, then slow down.

Dave

Hey salad, I'm not that great at math but that sounds like it comes to more than 40 miles per race? Shocked OK, Bugs, you're on. Did you have some specific distances in mind?

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Bugs

ShanGen, Remember the MRI from my calf? I know how frustrating this is, but really this is good news, compared to what they could have found. You weren't here when I hurt my feet, but it was the physical therapist that figured out what was happened. I'd take a good therpist over a doctor any day. My advice is to try and get a physical therapist that is a runner or at least an athlete. Salad, That's probably only the races from the last four months too. You're not slow! Now my hip tonight too! Sucks. I keep styrofoam cups of water/ice in the freezer just for such an occasion. Will be icing tonight. Dgb, I'm running a 10 mile on the 15th if you're willing to give me the advantage of actually being in a race. If I'm feeling good (no kinky hip) I do speed work every Thursday. Maybe a 5K or 4 mile?

Bugs

Cashmason

Umm Salad, I don't see many people cranking out sub 5 minute miles on ultra's. Not even Jorge Pacheco or Michelle Barton. Did some squats, deadlifts and bench presses, then spin class then a short swim.
                      Cashmason

Totals: Entries: 22 Distance: 234.4 miles Duration: 46:38:18
                        Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Bayshore sold out yesterday! I started getting a bit nervous last night about the race. As Master Yoda says, I know what to expect now - all aboard the pain train! Stupid soccer! There's a huge stinking soccer tournament in Traverse City race weekend and the only place with rooms available is $189 per night Shocked As if I didn't hate soccer enough already. Didn't keep a pen and paper log early on and let the electronic stuff die with the CR collapse. I have all of my race bibs, though and can add them up if I have time. Overslept this morning, should get 3-4 (that's all I was slated for today) on the TM before or after swimming tonight. Tomorrow's an easy 12 miler.

Dave

Bugs, glad to hear your hip is better. Not sure I'm ready for the 10 mile virtual. Better to target a 4 or 5 miler (at least for me). Got another 7.5 today at my intended HM pace. Not much of a taper but I'm not really sure it makes sense to taper too much for a HM.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Oh Mighty Wing

Mr. I - i'm guessing you aren't the one who plays soccer? Bugs - thanks! I will keep my head up and work on making my hamstring strong so I can get back to running! oh and i am definitely going to ask to meet with a PT who either runs or specializes in knee's. Dave - you are going to do great!! Strength training for me today. Did legs. Need to ice my knee. Oh tried the spin bike thing... forward was ok backward was awkward. and what do you do with your hands? And how are you supposed to sit so it doesn't hurt your butt? And what do you do with your mind? Can i look at a magazine or does that defeat the purpose or something?

Bugs

Inerita, That room price sucks, but the marathon will be worth it. ShanGen, Remember the zen thoughts, I do think it helps. Dgb, It must be hard to keep up what is wrong with me. The hip pain is brand new, not sure it's all gone or not. Chiro report: My piriformis is tight, he scaped it with his graston tools, felt heavenly. Blush I thought it was hip flexors, wrong. I will be doing lots of stretching this weekend. It feels MUCH better tonight. You'd think I'd give up on running, buy myself a big Lazy Boy recliner and get cabel TV, I've had so many different body parts hurt. He said it's all normal, everything took a beating from those orthotics, etc.. Still claims that I am making excellent progress because none of the old injuries are flaring up. Where's Erika this week? Good luck with LRs tomorrow. Think I'm running 12 again.

Bugs