Marathon Trainers

Week of 8/24 (Read 262 times)

Oh I just finally registered for Steamtown 

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Bugs

Erika,

How come you never run any races in Canada? I don't know how you've trained for some of those winter marathons. I'm second guessing my desire to run 3+ hour runs in November.

TheYap,

Nice 150 mile month!

Shan,

Did you have your triple marathon?

Pam,

You look like you strength train (all body parts) all the time. I'm finding my shoulders need constant strength training too. Maybe the pull-ups are just stretching everything out because I sure don't look strong.

Not sure what kind of Ragnar Recovery is needed. Got out of hand and ran 8 miles 8:30 pace on Thursday. Pist running partner off because I took off. Ops. Just felt good at the time. Hoping for 15 mile long run this weekend.

Bugs

evanflein

The guy who put our Ragnar team together warned us about the "relay effect" in that we all felt faster and stronger after the relay and were racking up all sorts of fast long runs... He said we needed recovery just like after a marathon. The relay adds the stress of travel and sleep deprivation, and probably poor diet, on top of running essentially 3 10k's in 24 hours (your individual miles may vary, but that's about what most people run). So... beware the 'relay effect' and be careful!

Canada is still quite a drive away... I will be doing the Royal Victoria Marathon in BC on Oct. 11. There's a cool marathon (more like a hilly endurance trek) in early August in the Yukon Territory, but it always conflicts with something local. Actually, I should have done that this year because the local race was postponed due to smoke! Oh well. One of these days I'll do that Yukon Trail run, but it won't be for speed just the experience. I'll have B.C. crossed off my list this fall!

3.7 mile recovery run at lunch. DH is home sick. Our kids have been sick. Lots of swine flu confirmed in our schools, lots (as in LOTS) of kids sent home with flu-like symptoms. I guess if I'm going to get sick it's better to do it now than in a couple weeks. But I have a 5k trail race tomorrow and a 22-24 mile long run scheduled for Sunday... now is NOT a good time, but possibly a better time than later would be. *sigh* my throat is a little sore and I'm coughing this afternoon. Not looking good.

Kimmie

Erika-

I really hope you don't get sick!  Sending healing vibes your way.

Pam-

I am regretting my decision to not run Steamtown, but I know you're going to rock it.  Smile

Re: Recovering from the relay-  I really didn't feel like I needed that much recovery which could mean that I didn't run my legs hard enough.  Smile   I'm so glad you enjoyed yourself, Bugs.

Today I ran 16 miles with a lot of back and forth.  I overslept but still wanted to catch up to my group, so I drove west to a different point on the trail, where I knew they would be turning around... ran back east with them for 8 miles and then I ran into a running friend that I haven't seen in almost a year!  I ran with him a little further east and then I realized that in order to get back to my car, I would end up with over 20 miles-  Smile  So I ran home and had DH drive me to my car.  What a goof I am but glad to get the miles in and average 9 min. pace.

Have a good weekend all.

SENDING LOTS OF NO SICK VIBES to Erika!!!!  Hope to hear the family is all well soon!!!

My RP is no longer running Steamtown Sad  she's defering until next year.  Makes me kind of wish I had signed up for Wine Glass though I doubt Ken or the twins would be up for traveling that far. Maybe next year Kimmie! WTG on your long run this morning!! 

As much as I LOVE running I hate that it's been interfering in family time this past week *sigh*  Can't wait for school to start for more reason's than one lol.  

I've done my share of thinking of why I don't do more races than I do. Money is always an issue however the BIGGER issue is logistics. Kids schedule, dh's schedule. The dog!  I'll be surprised if Boston goes as plan (supposed to be a real family  vacation which will be a first in like  4 maybe 5 years) I guess it's all about priorities. Running is FAR from my families priorities so I try to get mine in without it interfering with their priorities.

Anyway we've had LOTS of rain the over the past day and I was looking oh so forward to a nice long run in the rain. DIDN"T happen! I swear as soon as I set foot on the path the rain stopped and slowly but surely the sun started shining which heated things up. I totally forgot my water bottle at home so I had to rely on the waterfountains  (which I did alot the last few miles).  Started the run with no energy and ended it with alot less lol. Oh and I am weighing the lightest I've been since I started running which is NOT a good thing.

Hope everyone's having a great weekend!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Oh Mighty Wing

14 this morning! it was great!!

Pam - that is a lot of logistics! It always amazes me that you can get that many miles in with all you've got going on!

Kimmie - sweet run!

Good running Shan!

That only happens if I'm close to home. As shown last weekend I got hardly any miles in. Of couse it's also MUCH easier when I can run while the twins are at school! It's nice to knock out 3-4 hours of running without it interfering in anything but housework lol. Makes for a nice family weekend Smile

BTW where is everyone??? Looks like a ghost town in here.

Oh Mighty Wing

BTW where is everyone??? Looks like a ghost town in here.

I want to imagine them all having great times out on the town or something!! haha

so what you are saying is that when your kids go back to school we should be expecting your mileage to increase?

I want to imagine them all having great times out on the town or something!! haha

so what you are saying is that when your kids go back to school we should be expecting your mileage to increase?

Well at least someone's out on the town having a great time. I'm just waiting for dd to get home and dh to finish mowing the lawn (I'm folding laundry joy joy lol

GET M  lol

Oh Mighty Wing

lol I'm having movie night... it's weird being in town... and when you aren't going to bed early because you have a race you realize how lame you are! LOL I will probably be in bed by 9... I am a very exciting single 20-something aren't i???
                          more exciting then I was at your age, though where I got to live during my 20's was AWESOME! I spent a good amount of time doing nothing but going too and from hospital (may as well have lived there from 1991-1993 *sigh*

MTA: enjoy movie night. At your age my movie nights would have involved Disney

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I did a bunch of running this morning, and am going back out now to pick up a few more miles -- to work off the guilt of not doing a long run this weekend -- the morning's race (um, or my laziness, if you really want me to try to be honest for a second) got in the way of an actual long run -- so I just strung together a number of individual runs.

After that, I'll be ready for the energy expenditure of laying on the couch with a drink and watching a movie...

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Oh Mighty Wing

oh right! sorry!!

on tap for tonight - Twilight, then Rachel Getting Married, and if I'm still up - and that's a HUGE if maybe good luck chuck or American president...

evanflein

Geez, that's a lot of movies, Shan. I fall asleep during movies. I'm going going going all day long, and if I sit in a comfy chair with the lights dimmed for any period of time, zonk, I'm out.

Pam, how far did you run today? And yeah, I know all about the logistics problem. That's why I started doing some of my shorter runs during the week during my lunch break. But then I can rarely do over 5.5 or 6 miles...

I had a good race today, it was a very muddy, hilly trail 5k race. Lots of hills. And mud... it rained all night last night and was foggy this morning. Forecast was for drizzle and fog till noon, but it stopped raining and the sun was out by 10. By noon (race start 12:15, the last of a series of races today) it was beautiful and getting warm. My legs are tired and sore from all the hill runs I've done this week, and I use this race as a good training run for the Equinox. Two laps of a 2.5k course, it sure is hard to run by the finish line and go out for that second lap! But I managed to hold onto some sort of pacing and finished in 26:11, good enough for 1st in my AG which was all I really cared about. 

This nails down the top spot for the local series, even though I don't get credit in AG placings for the Equinox Ultra (I still get credit for having done all the races, which is the other thing I work for). So, it all ended up well, even though my legs were toast afterwards. But I still had to get home... ran 4.4 miles to home, half on some more muddy rutty 4-wheeler trails along the powerline, and then on the bikepath. Gave me 8.5 for the day, and I walked the last 1.25 miles to home. Whew! What a day. I'm pooped. 

Not looking forward to my long run (22-24 miles if all goes well) tomorrow morning, but I am looking forward to being done with it and moving on to taper!