Marathon Trainers

Week of 1/19 (Read 267 times)

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Good morning all. Seemed to have survived the deep freeze. Didn't have to do more miles than degrees, but would have if I had to. Got in a nice 15 miler on the TM on Saturday. Just a few weeks till Bayshore training starts. Got all my tuneup races picked out and am going to register for all of them next week.
    Kimmie

Hey Team Blister! Thanks Mr. I for always getting this weekly thread started. I finally feel better... still some congestion in my chest, but not too bad. I ran with a friend and about halfway through, it started to snow... which I think is awesome to run in. i started out too fast AGAIN, just can't seem to gradually warm up. I bolt out of the gate. She is a better runner than I am so she was giving me a pep talk about shooting for the BQ at Myrtle 7.5 miles... mostly easy- 9:ish pace.

Dave

Glad that you're feeling better, Kimmie. And Inertia is just killing it lately. Looking forward to seeing the rest of your race schedule, MrI. 2.7 for me this morning on the treadmill as a recovery run. It was my first run on the treadmill using a heart rate strap that was linked to the treadmill. I set it up for a specific heart rate target and set a pace and it would adjust the incline to keep my heart rate at my target. Interesting but I'm not sure I liked it. It would ramp it up to a tough incline and I'd increase my pace to get it to go flat. Probably defeated the purpose. Not sure I want to keep posting weekly miles for everyone or doing a weekly attempt at a humorous summary. Might be counterproductive. Please give me some feedback on whether its a good thing or a bad thing. The reports feature is back so its not too hard to figure out how mileage is going. Hope everyone has a great MLK holiday today. I'm off tomorrow as well since there is no good way to commute to DC tomorrow.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

I kinda liked the summary, Dave Smile

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Hope it's ok to just join in. I ALMOST did Bayshore Mr. however I have a hard time with flat lands so I'm doing Run for the Red which has the life sucking hills at the end so I'm not sure why I signed up for it other than it's local and I can drive there from home the morning of the race if I want. I can't imagine doing 15 miles on the treadmill WTG! Getting the runs in is the most important. Looks like 15 was the number for alot of peeps I know this past weekend. I myself had a nice enjoyable 15 miler as well. Hi Kimmie Smile So are you looking to BQ as well??? Glad to hear you're feeling better! Like you I LOVE to run in the snow! Very cool that you have someone to run with Dave, question for you. I see that you use a HRM on some of your runs. Does the cold weather have any effects? I used one during the summer when I was training for my ultra but have been thinking about using it during the winter. Hope your enjoying MLK day as well and enjoy your day off tomorrow! Hey Will you started running around the same time I did Smile I got 6 miles done today and other than wishing I hadn't forgotten my sunglasses at home it felt great. One problem is the pace was much faster than I think it should have been though it didn't feel that fast.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Bugs

rockenmamof5, Welcome, of course you would be welcome here, it is our honor actually. I swear the cold weather has a terrible effect on me. I have made some progress, the UA tights I was wearing were too tight, like running in a girdle. I switched to cuddle long johns. I think part of my problem is shoes too, because I slip a little with each step. I don't have the longest stride to begin with, so my legs are going back and forth like at a killer rate just to move forward. Nobby told me that the shoes with the black stuff on the bottom is slippery. There are also some shoes that stiffen up. I will be so happy when Spring is here, been a tough winter. Dave, Really you should do the summaries. Maybe keep it more about what we're all doing, like you did last time, so it's not miles focused, because some of us are on a time based schedule. I ran my 30m recovery run on TM too, started at 10:20 and had to move down to 10:30. Not based on HR, just trying to keep some runs VERY EASY, and the rest easy. I mean seriously, I ran 2.85 instead of 3 - who cares. Do any of you record your resting heart rate on regular basis? Is there an automatic way of doing this? (I have heart monitor watch around here somewher.)I just hate waking up and having to think. I wait and wait for the minute on the clock to change, and them I'm like "35, 36, 36, oh crap did I do 36 twice sh!t" and the process re-starts. Very sunny day here, home with the kidos, will run in the dark while DS1 is at practice. They have a kick boxing class at the same time, but geez, that would probably be dumb, huh?

Bugs

Kimmie

Welcome Pam! As you said in your intro, this is a very supportive group of people. And I just jumped in, so I think it's Ok for you to jump in. Smile Dave, I liked the weekly summaries too, although they always put me to shame. My weekly mileage has been way too low, but I think that without this group it would have been lower.

Bugs

Kim, Rest until you are better. I think all you need is a strong LR 3 weeks out, and then lots of easy running in your taper. I do believe you will have some endurance left over from running a marathon not that long ago.

Bugs

Thanks Bugs and Kim!! So I'm not the only one who thinks the UA tights are a little on the tight side?? HOw did you like the Cuddle long johns? I CAN"T wait for spring!! I've never thought of keeping track of my resting heart rate. Kudos to you for running in the dark at winter time!! But I know how it is when you have to take what you can get. I just saw that we got almost the same time at our last marathons. GL with BQing in a few weeks. BTW not sure when you turn 40 but if it's before Boston 2010 I believe you can BQ with a 3:50 (back up plan ya know )

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Bugs

So I'm not the only one who thinks the UA tights are a little on the tight side?? HOw did you like the Cuddle long johns? I CAN"T wait for spring!! I've never thought of keeping track of my resting heart rate. Kudos to you for running in the dark at winter time!! But I know how it is when you have to take what you can get.
                      UA tights just don't allow movement. I had better luck with them when I wore shorts on the outside. The fabric is really not warm, and is meant as an inner layer. I tried the cuddles on a whim, and really liked them. I stay warm, and my legs are able to move. I like sportshill for the outside layer, that fabric is awesome, but I wish they did not make the hips stick out so much. The HR isn't really my idea but it's part of the program I am following. Trying to be good girl.

Bugs

Ok I've never tried sportshill. I really need to invest in better winter running clothes. Course that will have to wait until next year.

Oh Mighty Wing

3 and change. tried yaktrax for the first time!! Very cool things but man are my legs tired.

Happy Camper

Bugs: Try making screw shoes out of an old pair like you told me to last year. They work Great! I used to take resting heartrate with the 305 but quit when I started doing core workout pre-run instead of post-run. Welcome Rockenmom! I love Sporthill gear. I love the Infuzion as an outerlayer. I have a jacket and pant combo that is in their third year. 20F and colder I have them on. FWIW, I think you have to work harder to get HR up and sustain it in cold weather. All that blood volume is not needed to cool the body like it is in warm weather. 8& change this morning. Best run I've had in quite some time. AVG HR was 148 but pace average was 9:34. Much better. I got going faster after 5-miles without a big spike in HR.

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Welcome Rocken! Trying to figure out if it's bad that my run today was longer than my last 2 weekly totals combined. I had been using my time when both kids are sleeping for a nap, but just had to run today instead, 7 miles. My legs sure did notice the lack of miles lately, but it felt good to be out there. Miles should come easier since I'm getting back to work and I usually ran at lunch anyway. So, I was going to post a baby pic or two, but have no idea how to do that. Where do you guys have your pictures hosted? Is that the only way?

Dave

I just created a free account over at photobucket and linked them in here. Welcome Rocken!

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com