Marathon Trainers

Week of 1/19 (Read 267 times)

Cashmason

WRFB, congrats to you and Harriet for becoming grandparents. Bugs, most of what I have read, is that runners start to get injured a lot when they approach 45- 50 miles per week or more. If they have years of running behind them, the tissue is strong enough to go to 100 miles per week or more. But the first time you start doing those kind of distances, things start to break down. Most people can ramp up to 30-40 miles per week without too much problem. Congrats on the academic performances of the kids Pam. Off to get in a run now.
    Cashmason

4.3 miles in the dark, around the neighborhood. What is funny, is that it is the same pace I have been running on the treadmill for the last week. Tonight, I had the Garmin on to record data, but it was too dark to read, so I had no clue how fast I was going. I guess the legs are just used to moving at that speed. Makes me wonder, if I should up the pace on the treadmill a bit. The Parrot Predictor says I could run a 3:59 marathon, based on this weeks running. The Parrot Predictor, takes your fastest 26.2 miles of the week and says that is your best possible time. No answer if you run less than 26.2 miles in that week.

Oh Mighty Wing

Bugs - I saw your post on last weeks thread. I know i'm probably not being the smartest in your eyes, but this is something I've got to pursue. I'm just running as often as I feel and as much as I feel. There is NO fast running only slow running. We'll see where I end up. Cash - very cool! I'm glad your running is going well!! But remember - DON'T EAT THE PASTE... just in case you decide to get a little over excited... I'm hogging the jar and I won't share with you...Wink

Dave

Dave - that stinks. Was it your knee that was bothering you after MCM, or is this something different?
          Yep, feels pretty much the same. I iced/elevated last night and it feels better today but not great. My 9 tempo will become 6 easy today. See how it feels tomorrow. May scale back 19 to 12 or even 10.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Sounds like a good plan, Dave. For me, 6 "recovery" miles but 10 x 20 sec striders increased the HR and pace somewhat. 6.1 miles, 52:21, 8:40/mi, AHR 152 (75%MHR assuming 200 max to simplify the math Smile) Cash - it'll be August before we are actually grandparents, but we're definitely gearing up. Here's one of my favorite pictures of the grandma to be and the mom to be -- gee this is 6 years old -- need a new favorite, huh?

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Happy Camper

Congratulations WRFB. It really goes by way too fast with kids, doesn't it? Dave: Knee problems were banished from here long ago. It will just have to get better. Hope you are running fine this afternoon. Core workout for me this morning. I am waiting for the mid afternoon temps to run in. I took yesterday off from running and didn't feel like single digits this morning. I will be absent most of next week. Work meeting in Dallas. Bonus is I get there mid day Monday and should have opportunity for a daytime run on the Katy before the work stuff starts. Morning temps in the 40's all week. Nice break from the cold weather gear.

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Dave

Sometimes you've just got to run. Today was one of those days. I moped around the house all morning with my sore knee and just needed to run and see how things went. Hit the treadmill for a softer surface and once I got going it felt ok. 8 miles with 6 at 7:43 pace. Pass the paste, Shan. Date night tonight without the kids for the first time in recent memory. Great pic btw Lou. She sure looks like her Mama Smile

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

evanflein

Lou, I love that picture! Showed it to DH and he agreed there is an amazing resemblance there. Dave, sorry about the knee. That really does suck. Cash, what was your pace? Nice day and the snowplows were out last night... so I want to head out for my run soon. Just been puttering around the house all day so far and I'm amazed how I can do that all day....
                  Kimmie

I agree that is a great picture!
                      CONGRATS WRFB!! The doc visit went good. Confirmed what we already knew. No picture. Appt Tuesday for the ultrasound. Guess they want us to max out on co-pays. Excited to get a due date. Working on house stuff this weekend--lots of work to do. My side business has dropped off big time--good news is that will free me up to get my running in again.
                        Thanks Cash! The Parrot Predictor?? Nice name lol. I say move up the speed a bit on treadmill. Great picture Lou!! Sorry to hear about your knee Dave!! Nice run BTW! Enjoy date night!!! I think those should be done on a regular basis (Like once a month or so)., Dh and I are due for one of those soon. Hope you had a great run Erika!! Hey Kimmie Smile Glad to to hear the appointment went well Murph! Hope you had a great run as well Pace Smile Decided to skip todays run. Didn't get home until close to 2 pm after a morning full of girl scout and boy scout activities. Decided I really needed some family time since I'll be out running 3-3 1/2 hours tomorrow. Got in a great workout with dh this evening.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

evanflein

9 miles today, avg temps about 4 or 5 I guess. A little colder than I was planning, but dressed fine for it. What I wasn't prepared for was how slippery our roads (hardpack snow) can be after the grader goes by! Here I was all excited for the cleared roads to be easy to run on, and I ended up slipping and sliding all over the place. Almost went back to the house to get my Spikies, but I really only needed them for the first and last couple of miles. But oh wow was that slick. Like running on buttered glass, I swear! Whew! Glad that's done and no falls today. Overall pace was about 8:50 to 8:55, which is slow for me on this route but that includes mincing across some icy road crossings and waiting for traffic a couple times. <rant>The main bikepath was a miserable mess with the new snow and snowmachine churning over the icy hardpack. Yuk. So I moved over to the side of the road and dealt with the traffic... those $^@#%! drivers who won't move over for you even an inch. Geeez I hate that. It's like they're in a trance and just don't see you (yeah, a tall runner wearing a bright pink top and a neon-yellow headband...). Sort of scary, but it really shows why we have so many moose collisions. These drivers just don't watch and react.</rant> I think I'll go up to campus tomorrow for my long run and do a couple of laps of the bike path that is plowed and not icy. It's the one I've done the last two Wednesdays and will be nice to do it in the daylight. Hey Pam, how far are you running tomorrow anyway? What are you currently training for? (guess I need to check the race schedule thread)
                          Cashmason

Erika, It was 9:06 pace. Tonight was 8 miles at 9:10 pace. But heart rate last nite was 150 tonight 166. Not sure why the difference. Maybe I had a soda tonight before the run and not last night? 2 hour spin class cert tomorrow.
                              Sorry to hear about the slippery roads Erika!! Nice run despite that! I'm looking to do somewhere around 18 give or take a mile or two since I'll be running local roads and who knows how long I can handle dodging cars. I'm training for Run for the Red Marathon up in the Pocono's in May. Nice run Cash! Hope everyone's having a great weekend!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Cash - was there a difference in the temperature? That can have a big effect. I do hope your roads get better Erika. For me, 18.2 miles, 2:39:48, 8:47/mi, AHR 145, progression targets 5@9:30, 8@9:05, 5@8:40, actual pace(HR) 9:22(136), 8:53(144), 8:06(155). This was a PR week for me, 57.8 miles.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com