Marathon Trainers

Week of 1/19 (Read 267 times)

Kimmie

Hey bugs, I think it's great that you've realized that you want to ENJOY running. I know some people in my running group who never seem to enjoy it. They're always talking about how they could have gone faster, etc... this past Spring, I ran several 10 milers and the National half and I determined with each one that I only wanted to enjoy the race... that's it... no time goal or anything... just enjoy it, because I felt like I was losing that joy. And those races were so much fun. I tell one of my friends on a regular basis- this is supposed to be a hobby, not a profession. So, rant over... What am I supposed to do with myself if I'm not running? Smile I feel much better today, but I will be good and rest again. I can't believe the Doc said 10 days- that seems a little extreme. I'm fairly sure I can hop on the treadmill, at least in 3 or 4 days. We'll see. I want to be SMART. I"m on antibiotics and they seemed to have helped a lot in just two days. Lou, I like all the detail you put in about your run. I think all the data people should from their own group- or have they?? Funny how there's all types of runners... one friend of mine NEVER wears a watch- that would drive me bonkers. And another friend who knows exactly how many miles he's run to date, all the time. Pam, you look fabulous. Care to share your workout routine?? Smile theyapper- I saw in your profile that you're in NC. You should come run Myrtle Beach with me! Good runs everyone....
    theyapper

On the road again...

theyapper- I saw in your profile that you're in NC. You should come run Myrtle Beach with me!
      It's full. Sad

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Lou, I like all the detail you put in about your run. I think all the data people should from their own group- or have they??
        Surprised <- me running around screaming i couldn't possibly participate in another forum ;) mta: wait! are you trying to get rid of me??? :p mta2: shan - you're fast with the keyboard! me="" running="" around="" screaming="" i="" couldn't="" possibly="" participate="" in="" another="" forum="" ;)="" mta:="" wait!="" are="" you="" trying="" to="" get="" rid="" of="" me???="" :p="" mta2:="" shan="" -="" you're="" fast="" with="" the=""></- me running around screaming i couldn't possibly participate in another forum ;) mta: wait! are you trying to get rid of me??? :p mta2: shan - you're fast with the keyboard!>

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Oh Mighty Wing

Surprised <- me="" running="" around="" screaming="" i="" couldn't="" possibly="" participate="" in="" another="" forum=""></->
          well we wouldn't want you to have to give us up either!! so post your data here!!! Big grin MTA: weird we had the same thought!
          Kimmie

Surprised MTA: wait! are you trying to get rid of me??? Tongue
            Ok, right after I wrote that I was worried that it came across as " all you data people, go form your own group" instead of "It's interesting how some runners are REALLY into the data feedback, etc... and would find that in common, etc..." Please, please, please, stay here and don't leave.... I'm just too lazy to add more info during a run.
              Please, please, please, stay here and don't leave....
              Ain't goin' nowhere Smile

Oh Mighty Wing

Ain't goin' nowhere Smile
                good cause i'd hate to have to infiltrate the masters group to bring you back!!! Wink

Dave

Close call. Well done, Ladies Big grin 8.8 for me today at an 8:38 pace. 144 AHR (which is nice and low for me). Nice to get outside but I ended up a little overdressed. Looking forward to a rest day tomorrow. Had me a 7 day streak going there... On the data stuff, I'm a nerd. Big nerd. Helps me get out the door and gives me something to feed my own ADHD tendencies. Its nice to see other peoples HR data but it really has to be put in context to their other runs and not compared to anyone elses. 144AHR means one thing to me and another thing to Lou.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Its nice to see other peoples HR data but it really has to be put in context to their other runs and not compared to anyone elses. 144AHR means one thing to me and another thing to Lou.
                    Hmm, maybe I should be reporting heart rate reserve percentage, or at least %max HR. Let me think on that, as you're right AHR between two people is apples/oranges. BTW, during yesterday's intervals, I saw max HR of 212 Shocked Don't know whether to believe it or not, but it was in the middle of the last hard session.

Dave

BTW, during yesterday's intervals, I saw max HR of 212 Shocked Don't know whether to believe it or not, but it was in the middle of the last hard session.
                      Wow! If that was a spike, I'd probably ignore it. If you sustained it for 15-30 seconds, who knows. That would be a very high max HR. I've seen some errors on mine up into the 190's but I'm fairly certain my max is right around 185.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Nice run Dave!!! DAMN Lou! That would be one high max if that's what it was. Got a 12 mile "progression" run done. Not as fast paced as I would have liked but after having two huge taco's as well as chips with hot spicy salsa from Cali Burrito I can't imagine why Roll eyes At least I really enjoyed pigging out before my run. Having dh home all day long is messing with the timing of my runs. I had planned on intervals in the am and a easy run in the pm however I didn't get out for my run until 2:30 which is NOT a good time to be doing intervals on the local roads.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

GLAD to hear you are feeling better Kim and WTG on being good!!! Thanks Smile I wouldn't mind sharing my workouts with you however I am sooooooooo ADD that my workouts always change. Probably one of the reasons I get such good results. BTW on every execercise BUT bench press I work up to 3 sets of 15 before adding more weight. Here are some of the basic stuff that I always do I superset alot of the exercises Bench press 3 sets to 8-12 (if I can do 3 sets of 12 it's usually time to move up for me) Bent over rows Barbell Flys Military press kickbacks pullovers side extensions hammer curls concentration curls Those are the exercises I do at everyworkout that I can think off at the top of my mind. There are others however after 12 miles my brain is a bit fried.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Cashmason

Pam, if you are in the same shape today as you are in your avatar, you could compete tomorrow in a figure contest and get on the podium. Bugs, 122 is not heavy weight at your height. You have a great body. You may want to lose a few pounds to improve your race times, I am not sure. There comes a point where losing more weight is counter productive. But you look fantastic. Lou, I was up till 3 30 am Pacific time, 6 30 am your time. My heart rate comes down to normal quickly, but running that late at night often makes me wide awake and alert for hours. My father graduated from the Naval Academy, and took me back there to see where he went to school. So I have a real fondness for Maryland. He and my brothers were all engineers, so being a data geek runs in my family. Dad always told me, That which gets measured, gets improved. When he was Captain, he was always drilling his men, and timing how long it took them to perform. The Navy would time the men on each ship in the fleet, and each ship and its Captain were rated on how they performed vs other ships in the Fleet. From a cycling website: SCOTT'S SPIN Super Secret While reading a review on Slate.com of the cult running novel "Once a Runner" by John L. Parker Jr., I spotted a line about "The Secret" of how you become a real runner. "But it turns out that The Secret is that there is no secret," reviewer Marc Tracy writes. "The runner must pound the mileage, as we say. It's a grueling, tedious, insane lifestyle." Yikes. Is that true of cycling? Short answer: Yup. Long answer: See short answer. But wait, you say. What about all those magazine articles that tell you how to "Get Blazing Fast in 6 Short Weeks"? Sorry, but the folks who wrote those aren't telling the whole truth. I should know. I churned out my share of them in a previous life. Granted, some reasonably structured training will help you improve in the short run. But the sad truth is that real fitness gains take years. You have to change your body on a cellular level, and your cells would much rather sit on the couch eating double-stuft chocolate cookies. That means lots of hard work. It's not all "grueling, tedious and insane," although I'm not sure how else to describe intervals in the rain or 90-minute trainer sessions. Often, the long road to fitness is rewarding. Sometimes it's even fun. Some people like that it's tough. "You get back exactly what you put into it," they say, unlike life, which can be so unfair and nasty. But, really, there's plenty of unfairness in fitness. Someone with superior genes doesn't even have to outwork you to crush you. They're just better. If you can ignore that horrible fact and focus on your own progress, it's easier to accept that there's no Secret.

Oh Mighty Wing

4 and change...
                                Cash, that picture was taken yesterday morning Big grin THANKS!! I agree with Cash that 122 is NOT heavyweight for your height Bugs. You look GREAT!!!