Marathon Trainers

Week of 12/6/2010 (Read 280 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Gee, it's 50F here right now, and heading off to hit a race in Annapolis (which I'll probably jog).  I prefer 50F to -20F.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Geez, Perry - a race the day after a tough marathon?   I hope you're feeling better anyway.  I can't imagine going out at sub-sevens, wow!

Paul - do you use electrolytes when you run? e.g., Endurolytes by Hammer (people call these e-caps).  I used to have some cramping problems during / after races, and these took care of that for me.  Nice job on the PR!!

I have a bit of a longer run today.  In the rain, 34° right now.  Yuck.  Harriet decided to get hers over with, so she's running now.  In the dark.  On a Sunday.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

theyapper

On the road again...

Paul - do you use electrolytes when you run? e.g., Endurolytes by Hammer (people call these e-caps).  I used to have some cramping problems during / after races, and these took care of that for me.  Nice job on the PR!!

Lou - the first marathon I simply drank water at the stops, so this time I did the Gatorade hoping that would help with the electrolytes.  Funny, I remembered that you had mentioned the e-caps at National last year, but I remembered it after my last 20 mile run, and so I didn't want to try anything new on race day.  Next time, I definitely will.  Do you only use them for marathons, or also for a half?

Perry - My legs are tight this morning, and I woke up with 2 thoughts: 1) My legs are tight and 2) Perry's running a 15k the day after he did what I did?????  Good luck.

MTA: Lou, I just checked out the Hammer page and it looks like that may be an answer for me.  I'll be excited to give these a shot.  Do you take them with water?  How often in the run/race?  Have you tried the new Endurolyte Fizz?  Sorry for all the questions.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Happy Camper

Paul:  I second the endurolytes for marathons even in cooler temperatures.  I'm around 185 lbs.  I take 3 every hour during a  race.  If  I  start getting tight muscles, 6 - 8 is what it takes for them to ease them with me.  I don't train with  them unless it's hot  outside, then I take them  every hour on runs that I'm out  there 3+ hours for.  I just roll them up in a zip lock bag and pocket them or carry them in the fanny pack.  I take them in addition to jels and sports drink.  Succeed's are much stronger.  If the cramps and muscles are tightening in the lower legs, try some compression socks.  They haven't been as dramatic for me in solving problems, but I do think they help put off fatigue with runs over 3 hours.

Snow and winds 15 - 30 mph, 12 F but there is sunshine.  Off to buy some screws for the shoes and then out to replish the Vitamin D and fight off the cabin fever.  Smile

MTA: Run Perry, run!

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Calculated my expected finish time for DW based on 8-9min/mi, but then the adrenalin and rush of race start carried me away and I wound up racing it. I always get a slow start and then pass people before settling into position, and this time I must have passed 50 people in the first half, and then no position changes in the second half. Felt great until about mile 6, where it was just "maintain, maintain" and count down the miles. Maybe like the 2nd half of any other race Smile

Fortunately DW saw me on the trail and went over to the finish earlier than I'd predicted, and brought me clean, dry clothes. It was raining before & after, but I didn't notice any during.

Feel happy and accomplished to have this weekend of racing over. Heading shortly to shower and bed. Nice to be fortunate enough to be able to be lazy in middle of afternoon.

PS: In other happy news, no blood leak at all this morning.

evanflein

Good grief, Perry. What are we going to do with you. Roll eyes

I got nothing (so far) today. Just puttering around the house. I wish I could do this for a week. Chief putterer. That's me. In my dreams.

Might go down to the garage for a run later. Might not. We'll see.

theyapper

On the road again...

Dang, Perry.  I'm speechless.

Thanks, Bryan, for the insight.  As far as the cramp location, it's all above the knee - mainly in the front of the thighs above the knees.  I did feel my hammies on the verge yesterday, esp as I tried to "sprint" at the finish.

Paul

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

..., esp as I tried to "sprint" at the finish.

I've been amused before, when I was "sprinting" in after a marathon, to find out how slowly I was really going Smile

theyapper

On the road again...

I would have put "crawling," but I was still upright.  Big grin

Paul

Bugs

Perry,

They didn't pour the coke over you toe did they? Wink Glad you're okay.. you crazy nut!

Paul,

AWESOME, don't think so much, a PR is a PR. Great job on marathon #2. Good for you for planning #3.

Brian,

Nice pace on the 10 mile race.

Kim,

Sorry about the tendonities. Hang in there. I feel like I've hit a rough patch myself. Our girls on the run race was suppose to be Saturday, canceled due to snow with 50mph winds.

Me:

* Work is killing me, just drained at the end of the night

* Tough adjustment to TM this year

* Blizard this weekend with 12+ inches of snow on top of freezing rain.

* Seriously sore glutes from doing aerobics

Bugs

Bugs

Gee, it's 50F here right now, and heading off to hit a race in Annapolis (which I'll probably jog).  I prefer 50F to -20F.

-13F here, I doubt you'd want to trade places.

Bugs

I really feel for you guys running in that cold.  I guess I'd go to treadmill as well.

Reporting on last week to respond to Paul and give my Sunday run in 33° and a light rain: 15.3 miles @ 8:49 = 5@9:17(140), 5@8:52(143), 5.26@8:18(155)

Paul - I take 2 ecaps about the same frequency that I take my 150 calorie gels.  During a race, about every 6-7 miles, and while training about every 7-8 miles.  I start taking both when I hit 15 miles in training.  I'm about 140#, so your mileage may vary.  I usually take a couple before the start as well.  I try to remember to bring extra during the race because sometimes I drop them, and if I start cramping late I'll take extras.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com