Marathon Trainers

Week of 10/4 (Read 298 times)

Kimmie

another early morning run with friends...  only managed about 4-5 miles... not sure exactly.  Beautiful outside... like I love my sleep and I love seeing the sunrise... there has to be a way to have both.  Go to bed at 9:00.  Smile

Legs feel better but still a little tweaky.   Glad you're recovering well, Lou.  That's awesome.  Pam, I know you have to be excited about Steamtown.

My brother in law is running his first marathon at Chicago this weekend.  I've been giving him some advice throughout his training so it will be fun to follow his progress on Sunday.  Right now he's worried about the weather-  it's supposed to be chilly.  I told him- that's good.   I ran it the year it was 98 degrees and they shut down the race.

Have a good one y'all!

Yes, chilly is good.  I loved Chicago -- basically flat as a pancake (some really tiny hills near the end, but surprising), crowds 5 deep the whole way, goes through a lot of interesting neighborhoods, wide roads.

I had a little problem right after the start because you go under some buildings for quite a while and it confuses the garmin.  I ended up hitting 'lap' a mile 2 (still in the tunnel?  I forget) but I didn't -- I actually hit 'stop' and didn't notice for a few minutes.

But this was my second race -- the PR stood for quite a while.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Hail to The Victors!

Good luck everyone racing this weekend! 

Nice work, Lou!  Those are some awesome splits!   Nice and even! I would love to run a marathon that even.

Didn't feel like running at lunch yesterday, but I snuck in a run when I got home.  Started out only wanting to do 5-6, but as my knee started loosening up, the distance worked up to 7-8.  Doing lots of extra stretching and stuff, which seems to be working.  My continuing self-diagnosis is beginning to lean toward some ITBS/runner's knee, which is aggrivating my hammy and some other things.   Just a big ball of overtraining, which I'm definitely rectifying. :-D

Today is 5-6.  5 days to wife's surgery

Here's the rehab schdule for it.

It just doesn't look like much fun for the next 6 months, but you know what?  She'll be able to run a 5K after this.  She can't run a 5K now.  Not that she has any desire to run a 5K mind you, but she wants to try to run one to make sure that she "doesn't like it."   At least I have some influence on her.   She certainly hadn't considered it before I started down this path (before she was diagnosed with osteoarthritis, anyway).

theyapper

On the road again...

Rest day for me today.  Yesterday's easy run was tougher than normal, so my body's loving me today.

Hope the surgery goes well, Jeremy.  That is a long recovery, but I'm sure it'll be worth it.

Chicago sounds fun.  Maybe someday.

I add a Richmond Marathon widget to my Facebook page today and it got me even more excited.  Anticipation continues to grow...... 

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww she's too cute Murphy!!!

Sure hope it's chilly this weekend!

Good luck to your wife Jeremy! BTW ITBS is a pain! Hope you are able to rehab yourself to no issue's ASAP!

Enjoy your rest day They!

5.5 miles in the bank! Tomorrow will be a rest day. I have way too much stuff to do UGhhhhhh! Anyway can't wait for Sunday!

Happy Thursday peeps!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

...She takes after daddy Smile

Ran 3 miles last night, felt good--I definitely need to ease back into the running--meaning, Im not going to go out tonight and knock out a 12 miler. I think that was the main reason for the injury bug this spring. Basically, Im starting from scratch. I'll keep saying it until I concince myself..I WILL NOT RUN A MARATHON UNTIL IM REALLY READY TO RUN ONE.

BIGGEST LOSER UPDATE. Doing well in the work contest (kinda). Held steady over the last few weeks. I am under the radar..but just a pound out of being in first place. There are a lot of people in that range. I know what Im capable of losing and how to do it. I could drop about 7 pounds this week and take a big lead but then I will have people gunning for me, or I can lay low until about 1 week left. About $800 on the line for first place. I have done absolutely nothing so far to try and lose weight--It just happened to start at the perfect time--right before the baby came, and I got too busy to eat too much for awhile Smile

Looks like lots of good running--keep it up.

cute kid, murph!

Hope your wife gets relief, Jeremy

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

well, didn't get to run in the park so it's the TM for me this evening. On the plus side of that it means that A. I get to run while at work and I'm convinced that running while on the clock burns more calories and B. I'll get to watch Flash Forward tonight (also while on the clock).

I'm feeling a bit of the post race doldrums. I've been training for something since Feb this year and now...nothing. I going to run a 5k on the 17th and expect to PR, but it's not really a goal race. I just need to stay consistent and focus on volume as a goal.

Happy Camper

{sigh}  Why is it that the more nervous I get about doing something the more gear I tend to buy?

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Cute baby photo but what's the brown thing around the head? I was foolish enough to consider "hair" at first, but that can NOT be right.

Why's steamtown called that? Is that a nickname for Scranton? I had to look up where it was, then go to google and zoom out and zoom out and zoom out and zoom out til I could see other stuff to figure out where it is -- upper E. PA. Scranton....  Isn't that where The Office was set?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

What are cranks? Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

{sigh}  Why is it that the more nervous I get about doing something the more gear I tend to buy?

'

I dunno. My urge to buy is inversely proportionate to the amount of money I have.

I want flats!!!!

Think that might be my reward when I lose the weight I put on after Akron (about 6 pounds).

Got in an hour this evening.

Hawt and sexy

Steamtown is named after the little train park we have next to the mall in downtown Scranton.  It's one of those silly historical sites. Scranton was once a major train hub, back in the coal mining days, and the lines switched from gravity powered lines to steam engines in Scranton. They have a museum to preserve the local history and a few engines downtown. The marathon course follows closely to the old D&H line. That is why it is a net downhill, the D&H was a gravity coal line. The trail section of the race is part of the D&H line that has been converted via "Rails to Trails.'' (This is what the locals have told me anyway, I am just a transplant.) Yes, Scranton is the home of 'The Office' and we run about a block or two away from the building that they show as the their office in the opening. Scranton's nickname is the Electric city as it was one of the first cities to have that luxury since they had the coal money burning a whole in their pockets back in the day. 

Hi, I tried to stay away until after Steamtown, but AP brought me out. You all look familar to me because I believe I followed this crew over at a running site long ago on a server far, far away known as CR.  I kinda missed you guys.  I don't remember if I posted, but I know I lurked in this group back in the day. I was going to ask why you went private, but I think I figured it out.  Too bad really, as I recall, this was once part of the newbie section and it brought new runners into this sad, sick addiction. And for those of you that don't know already, I call Rocken my Sole Sister. We run together enough that she has earned that title.

Anywho, I am trying to stay focused on Steamtown right now.  I need a BQ.  Smile

I'm touching your pants.

Buying gear.  heh -- I have a serious problem with that as well

Welcome, willamona!  Good luck this weekend!  We passed Steamtown on the way up to Boston to visit the baby.

Perry - for real?  http://www.cranksports.com/products/eGel/whybuy-eGel.asp

5 this morning -- the steady rain was there before we ran, but let up just before we went outside.  It was about 51°F anyway so the rain wouldn't have been too uncomfortable.

5.1 miles, 43:35, 8:32/mi, AHR 147 (75% MHR)