Marathon Trainers

Week of 10/4 (Read 298 times)

theyapper

On the road again...

Hey Willamona!  Great to have you in here.

I got a nice 5 miles in this morning - first early morning run this week and it felt good.  One the schedule for tomorrow is my second (and LAST) 20 miler in this training schedule.  I'll be glad to finish this week out, and then it's time to get ready for India.  We head out next Thursday.

Run well today, everyone!

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Kimmie

Good morning you all!

Welcome willamona!

Haven't decided if today is run or rest.  My ankle still hurts... not terribly, but it's kind of a weird pain.

Lou-  this is my favorite

http://www.pbase.com/lking/image/116983528

Dave

http://www.pbase.com/lking/image/116983528

That pic is priceless.  We probably need a caption contest for it.

"Take away my bottle again and I'm going to have to kill you" 

Welcome, Amanda!

Great pic, Murphy.

Busy week for me with another business trip and a conference until yesterday.  Hoping to get some mileage in today and through the weekend.  Took a few days to recover from my HM on Sunday.

I liked this pic by the way.  

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Happy Camper

Good to have you here Willa!

6&change in nasty windy weather.  48F , some wind and rain.  Good day for Alaska I guess.  Nice, ache free run after taking a rain day off yesterday.  Glad there is two days for the creeks to go down before the trail run Sunday.  We had over 6 inches of rain and there is flooding.  Hope it didn't wash things out at the trails or cause a cancellation.  There will be lots of mud for sure. 

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Cute baby photo but what's the brown thing around the head? I was foolish enough to consider "hair" at first, but that can NOT be right.

Yeah, its hair/shadow combination.

Kimmie

Good luck to all the racers this weekend!!!

Erika, Pam, Willamona, Bryan-  did I miss anyone?

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Welcome Willamona and good luck to all racers this weekend!*

*That includes my favorite kid who has her first swim meet this evening.

Good luck, FK*!

Little recovery run for me

3.1 miles, 28:33, 9:05/mi, AHR 139 (71% MHR)

* favorite kid

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

theyapper

On the road again...

Well, my second 20 miler did not go as well as the first one.  It was 72F and very humid, and I just never found any kind of a groove.  My HR kept creeping up and my pace kept slowing down and by the time I got to 15 miles I decided to just run the last mile home and cut it off at 16 miles.

I wasn't hurting, it was just a crappy run and I decided that since I've already done one 20, there wasn't anything I was going to gain mentally by pushing through the last 4 miles and I think my base is strong enough that being on my feet another 45 minutes wasn't going to give me much return on the effort.

Overall, I'm not too frustrated, but I have noticed that this past week my runs have not felt as "natural" as they were.  Is that normal at the end of a training cycle?  I sure hope so.

Paul

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Yea, there's a flux and flow to training. You can look at all sorts of things like training loads, nutrition, hydration, rest, life stresses blah blah blah etc etc etc. If you run lots and you run consitently, sometimes your runs are going to be better than others.

Ran for just under two hours this morning - longest run since HM. Last 20 min felt like a bit of a pull, but a nice relaxed run overall and my pace is improving - just about where it was pre Akron.

Looking forward to a round of race reports soon.

Kimmie

Yeah, Paul, it was super humid here too.  Sounds like you have the right perspective.

I ran 12 miles in 1:51 and it didn't exactly feel "easy".... the humidity makes a big difference.  I tried to push the pace at the end and it was tough.  

You'll find that a good taper is magical and add to that race day magic and most of the time things come together.

Your training  has been going really well.

I hope all of our racers have good weather tomorrow.   

Happy Camper

Cooler weathers coming.  34 here this morning.  27 forecasted  tomorrow.  Creek crossings will ge invigurating.  I'm going to try new gear and just run for pace tomorrow.  It will be muddy for sure.  I got a pair of Montrail Hardrocks and I will experiment with smartwool socks for the first time.  I have some toe socks on order but they haven't made it yet so I will play with them another day.  Armwarmers should be nice.  See what I mean about going gear crazy when I'm nervous.  100m is less than 4 weeks away now. 

Nice runs everyone! 

Paul:  You've trained well. The marathon will be it's own experience on it's own day.  Plenty of things can cause you to give out.  I think you've prepared for that and have it covered.  Giving up is never an option. 

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

theyapper

On the road again...

Thanks for the encouragement, everyone.  Means a lot coming from people who have been where I'm going.  It's just been awhile since I had a really hard, bad run.  Guess I've been saving up for this one. 

Any word from our racers?

Paul

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

hmm,  5k or 10k next weekend?

Was goign to 5k next weekend and PR. The race was about an hour away. Today I found one much close (20 min) and they're also offering a 10k. Not sure which I'll do.

My 5k PR is soft so it's a done deal, it's just a question of by how much. My 10k PR is fairly recent so it would be nice to see if I'm any faster than I was two months ago. 10k is hard distance to race and I'm just barely recovered from Akron (I'll now pause while you call me a wuss <I'm ok with that>WinkIt would be sweet if I could break 45:00 on the 10k.

Heads, tails? What say you?

Yeah we all have bad days, Paul -- it won't affect your race.

I think all the races are tomorrow, TY -- pretty exciting weekend!

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com