Marathon Trainers

Week of 11/29/2010 (Read 214 times)

theyapper

On the road again...

Hello, Monday.  Another week of miles waits for us, huh?

4 easy, chilly miles this morning.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Gonna be chilly eve run for me. Course I am very thankful I'm not running on ice, snow, or in 20 below, like some ppl.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

yes, it's warm in comparison to those of us up north

3 easy recovery miles.  not anything to recover from as I only ran 6 yesterday, but that was because we were traveling and I wanted to get on the road as early as possible.

we have a hilly 15k race planned for saturday, the last of our club's grand prix series.  harriet is in contention but i am not.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

evanflein

I am very thankful I'm not running on ice, snow, or in 20 below, like some ppl.

Yeah, well, none of that crap for me this week either!!

Hope everyone had an AWESOME holiday!

I have a race this weekend. I can choose to do either the 5k or 10k.  I don't really have a clue as to what kind of pace (other than sub 8) to shoot for, anyone care to check my log out and take a stab? I've spent so much time doing ultras that I don't know too much speed other than what I've learned over the last 6 or so weeks

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

theyapper

On the road again...

Hope everyone had an AWESOME holiday!

I have a race this weekend. I can choose to do either the 5k or 10k.  I don't really have a clue as to what kind of pace (other than sub 8) to shoot for, anyone care to check my log out and take a stab? I've spent so much time doing ultras that I don't know too much speed other than what I've learned over the last 6 or so weeks

Not sure I'm the best person to give you pacing advice, but I thoroughly enjoyed looking through your log.  Very inspiring.  You seem to be hitting some mid and low 7s in your runs and it sounds like it's coming very easy for you.  Whatever you decide, looks like you'll set some very nice PRs.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Gee, I'm not smart enough for this puzzle. I'm not sure 200s are much of a predictor. Your last 5K was 23:27. How did that feel, and do you think you're faster? You could always go out a bit faster than that one was and see what happens Smile

MTA:

23:27, 7:34 overall, 7:38 avg over first 3mi

easy runs back then seem to vary around 9:30+ pace

8:20 in a 10miler, which is a bit slower than 23:27 5K (by McMillan)

McMillan lists easy runs as around 9:30 for a 23:27 5K input.

Now your easy runs are all over the place, but maybe 9 into low 9s as wild median guess.

I plug 22:30 5K into McMillan and it gives easy as 8:53 to 9:23. So I'll guess 22:30 for 5K (7:15 pace), or McMillan equivalent of 46:44 for 10K (7:31 pace).

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Not sure I'm the best person to give you pacing advice, but I thoroughly enjoyed looking through your log.  Very inspiring.  You seem to be hitting some mid and low 7s in your runs and it sounds like it's coming very easy for you.  Whatever you decide, looks like you'll set some very nice PRs.

Thanks Paul!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Gee, I'm not smart enough for this puzzle. I'm not sure 200s are much of a predictor. Your last 5K was 23:27. How did that feel, and do you think you're faster? You could always go out a bit faster than that one was and see what happens Smile

MTA:

23:27, 7:34 overall, 7:38 avg over first 3mi

easy runs back then seem to vary around 9:30+ pace

8:20 in a 10miler, which is a bit slower than 23:27 5K (by McMillan)

McMillan lists easy runs as around 9:30 for a 23:27 5K input.

Now your easy runs are all over the place, but maybe 9 into low 9s as wild median guess.

I plug 22:30 5K into McMillan and it gives easy as 8:53 to 9:23. So I'll guess 22:30 for 5K (7:15 pace), or McMillan equivalent of 46:44 for 10K (7:31 pace).

The 200's today weren't for prediction they were a suggestion from a friend. My impression after doing them is that they weren't much of a workout unless I either sped them up or did more. My last 5k was on crappy miles and after a really really rough first couple of months of the year with no speed work.Just so happened that Denise was running it so I did too. 

As far as my easy runs being all over the place. I've been doing a lot of runs with my husband who is just getting back into running so those have been very slow. I also think I'm finally recovered from all the ultras/marathons that I've done over the past 6 months  (that or the Vibrams have really improved my form and I'm becoming a more efficient runner) because for the past few weeks I am feeling better than I have in who knows  how long. I'm not good at racing. Last"short" race that I actually gave all was my very first Half marathon. I left it all out there and have yet to do that. My husband thinks more along the lines of what you posted last though his is a bit more aggressive. He see's how energized I am after my speed workouts even the ones where I did them after a nice long run (though everyone and their brother told me NO NO NO)

Did I mention that I've been feeling like a locomotive? lol Anyway thanks for the feed back Perry!

Hawt and sexy

Do the 10k Pam. Try to beat my 10k PR. If it doesn't hurt by mile 4, speed up. I would not be surprised if you smashed it.

I'm touching your pants.

Do the 10k Pam. Try to beat my 10k PR. If it doesn't hurt by mile 4, speed up. I would not be surprised if you smashed it.

what is it again? lol remember I'm old

Hawt and sexy

I'm old too, I had to look it up. 47:12. I think you should be able to beat that. The only hitch would be if it was too cold. Try it and stuffs.

I'm touching your pants.

I'm old too, I had to look it up. 47:12. I think you should be able to beat that. The only hitch would be if it was too cold. Try it and stuffs.

sounds like a plan! 

When I ran this race 2 years ago it was FREEZING and icy! Oh and I was sick. Gots to be better than that *knock on wood*

Bugs

Wow Pam with that kind of miles in the bank I say just sprint the damn thing. Don't worry about pace or puking just run. There is a bit of an art to resting up for these races. The trick is to do just MINUTES of fast running in your run.

Thanksgiving travel was a training train wreck. Went to ND and just did not know where to run. Traffic everywhere, no sidewalks, no TM. Three rests days, and then Sunday when we returned I ran 19 miles at a 9:09 pace. Time for some shorter fast stuff, hills.

Bugs

Wow Pam with that kind of miles in the bank I say just sprint the damn thing. Don't worry about pace or puking just run. There is a bit of an art to resting up for these races. The trick is to do just MINUTES of fast running in your run.

Thanksgiving travel was a training train wreck. Went to ND and just did not know where to run. Traffic everywhere, no sidewalks, no TM. Three rests days, and then Sunday when we returned I ran 19 miles at a 9:09 pace. Time for some shorter fast stuff, hills.

I hear you about the art of resting up! That is one art I will be practicing for the first time this week. No run longer than 5 miles .

Running when traveling is always hard, especially in the winter time.  Nice long run Bugs!