Marathon Trainers

Week of 11/29/2010 (Read 214 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Oh, I'm running a marathon the same day as Paul then. Which one are you running Erika? Well, I bet if I googled for races on Sun in Indianapolis, I could probably find it....

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

evanflein

Except our race is TODAY, and we're in Bloomington, not Indianapolis. And we're running in 5" of new wet snow! This should be interesting. It's the Tecumseh Trail Marathon, and it's billed as a challenging race even without the snow. Race start is at 10 a.m., so we're having a leisurely morning eating bagels, drinking coffee and water and surfing the 'net for a bit. Bus leaves at 9.

We ran a nice 4 miler yesterday morning, beautiful day with clear sunny skies and crisp 34°. Hard to believe that less than 24 hours later, we've got full snow coverage and more on the way. 

theyapper

On the road again...

Go get 'em, Erika!!

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

theyapper

On the road again...

Ran my last run of any real length today - a bit over 8 miles - and felt good.  One more week of tapering and then it's time to rock and roll next Saturday.

Hope Erika's enjoying her snow run.  Can't wait to hear the report.

Paul

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

And to think I was whimpering this morning in 31F with winds, and no precipitation whatsoever Smile

Go Erika!  (She's probably done by now, though, right?)

Some whimpering here, with the 31° and winds, but all in all it wasn't too bad.

We had beautiful scenery and it was a wonderful race, but tough.  Map and elevation can be found here.  The wind was there, and sometimes in your face when going uphill, but frankly most of the time it wasn't a factor.  My legs felt like jelly for the last 1.5 miles, and afterwards from the hills -- I think mostly from the downhills.  

At mile 5, just at the crest, some guy came screaming by me at 40 mph.  I asked "what age group?" which he ignored and asked how I was doing (over his shoulder).  Assuming he's in my age group I came in no better than 4th.  There were 77 runners and I think 70 of them were fast 50-59 year olds.

That fast old guy, and one young woman I had passed earlier because she was having leg cramp problems, were the only ones who passed after mile 1.5.  The young woman ran a 3:15 at Boston I'd heard after the race, so I guess I shouldn't feel too bad.

The story follows.  Those downhills were fun, but frankly I was glad when they ended because I was a bit afraid I was going to fall.

9.3 miles, 1:12:27, 7:47/mi, AHR 170 (83% MHR)

1 - 7:44(155)

2 - 7:35(167)

3 - 8:25(172)

4 - 9:11(175)

5 - 8:26(170)

6 - 6:43(165)

7 - 7:01(167)

8 - 6:46(168)

9 - 8:18(173)

10 - 2:18(178) [0.30=7:42]

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Crazy uphill/downhill race. I did a flat 5K, and it fatigued me, with the cold wind.

theyapper

On the road again...

Nice race, Lou.  I bet that uphill at miles 8 and 9 were tough after 3 miles downhill.

Paul

evanflein

Well that sucked. Man that was hard. The buses couldn't take us to the start, so they changed the course to an out-and-back, starting from the finish with the turnaround at the half. The Garmins didn't like all the elevation changes and switchbacks, so everyone's was short. But people who live here, who've run the trail before assured us it was the full distance. Snow, slush, slick mud, hills and single-track trails with slow-poke trail blockers in the way more often than I could count. I've never seen such miserable trail etiquette. I'd say "trail" or "track" or "passing on your left!" which are all acceptable requests to move a bit to enable a pass, and no reaction 90% of the time. The only time they'd move over was when we were on the return trip and they were obviously tiring and would step off the trail when they heard me coming. I'd say "thank you!" and zip on by. 

Final time was 4:39 something, and I was handed a 3rd in AG award in a box at the finish line. Will be interesting to see how that works out when they post final results online. I guess I'll write a more detailed race report soon as we do have some good pictures from the day.

Totally chilled afterwards. When Tim and I were walking back to the car my teeth were chattering uncontrollably. We had the shivers so bad it was hard to get ourselves settled in the car for the drive back to the hotel. Now I've had a hot shower, we've turned up the heat in the room and starting to feel human again. Now we're gonna go look for something to eat. 

theyapper

On the road again...

Good job, Erika.  Sounds like awful conditions, and you got some hardware on top of it. Nice.

Paul

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Wonder why the etiquette was so bad? It actually doesn't take any experience at all, just courtesy, I think, to be willing to let someone go by when you hear them come up...

PS: Spaniel made this comment about it when he looked at the results (he didn't run it): "For perspective, only one guy barely broke 3 and the guy in 2nd in 3:04 is a 2:26 marathoner. No idea how hard he ran this one but even if he was taking it easy...."

PPS: WrigleyGirl ran it and came in a few minutes before 4:39, but I don't see anyone listed from Alaska at all. Erika, did they leave you out of results, or are you camouflaged?

theyapper

On the road again...

PPS: WrigleyGirl ran it and came in a few minutes before 4:39, but I don't see anyone listed from Alaska at all. Erika, did they leave you out of results, or are you camouflaged?

Perry - Erika's #149 in this list

Wow, I feel like a stalker...

Paul

evanflein

Smile thanks Paul. I just saw that the results were up this morning. On the plane heading to Seattle. Free wi-fi for the holidays courtesy of Google!
                            AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I was looking here: http://www.marathonguide.com/results/browse.cfm?MIDD=2072101204

Erika isn't in their results. Weird. They apparently have a defective set of results.

Erika is too cool for marathonguide I guess.

I think those are the results for last year's race, Perry.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com