Marathon Trainers

Week of 10/4/2010 (Read 143 times)

7 for me this morning @ 8:45/mi, feeling good

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

theyapper

On the road again...

You're recovering well, Lou.

Dave - I think I'll just start following you're plan.  It seems to work well.  Seriously, great race.

Rest today today, until I coached the XC team in the other coach's absence.  A tick over 3.5 with them, including some slight downhill strides with recovery jog at the end.  I did 5 sets and topped out at 4:14 pace in the last one.  Now that was fun!

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Dave

Thanks, Paul.  I think my plan only works because I got in pretty good marathon shape about 2 years ago and I'm still living off of that fitness.

Off work today.  Nice 8 mile bike ride with DW and DD5 (on a 3rd wheel bike behind).  Beautiful.  Leaves, trails, creek.  What an awesome day.

Great run, Lou.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

theyapper

On the road again...

Dave - it's good to know that marathon fitness can last that long.  I started this morning when I didn't go out and run the 9 on the schedule and opted instead to let the 4 or so easy XC miles substitute.  So far, so good.  Wink

Paul

Cashmason

7 Miles with the dogs around the park today.    Charlie the Border Collie's longest previous walk was 3 miles.  So this 7 mile run,  he needed a few walk breaks,  and Mara had a need to chase squirrels.

Other than that a really fun run.

Kimmie

Great running guys! My knee is killing me. Went to sport massage today. Very painful .... Not surprised as I didn't build miles slowly. So, I will take tomorrow off and see.

Yikes, Kim.  I guess that answers the question about the 20 mile race this weekend.  Hope you get some relief soon.

theyapper

On the road again...

Sorry about the knee, Kim.  Hope it heals quickly.

Leaving today to speak over the weekend in TN, but did get my long run in.  Cutback week, so I was happy to only have to do a bit over 12.  Have a great week-end, everyone!

Paul

Kimmie

I'm pretty sure it's ITBS. I had this 6 years ago and I don't remember how long I took off. I've heard anything other than running is Ok. Any thoughts? I'm bummed but I have no one to blame but myself. Paul, enjoy your weekend in TN.

Dave

ITBS sucks.  So sorry to hear that.  

I had some residual tweaks in one calf after last weeks race.   Did 5 today harder than I should've.  Almost perfect weather.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Sorry to hear that Kim -- maybe swimming or something...

Off to race this morning.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Dave

Just under 15 on the bike with a neighbor into a thick fog.  

Very cool ride.  Legs were soaking wet from the fog.  Good workout and some beautiful leaves and hills.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

ITBS, yuck.  Hope it heals quickly.

12.3 @ 8:31/mi

What a beautiful day to run today.

Good luck, Perry!

evanflein

Yikes, Kimmie! Maybe elliptical? Bike (stationary or not)? Swimming? I'm not sure what works or not with ITBS as I've never had it. We should have the ITBS Poster Child (aka: Cashmason) give some advice. He's dealt with it more than just about anyone I know.

18.3 miles today at avg pace of 8:25. And whereas my average pace is usually not very indicative of the actual run, this one is. I was amazed by how consistent my mile splits were, most were between 8:22 and 8:30 or so, hills or not. Heh, surprised myself. We got snow early this morning, and I waited till about 1:30 to head out, hoping the snow would stop (it did) and the temps would warm up (not much). I think it was 30° when I left and 32° when I got back, the bike paths were mostly just wet but some slick snow in spots, especially bridges and overpasses.

Yesterday's hilly 10.5 miler was in shorts!

53.2 miles for the week. Still trying to figure out when to do my long run of 20+ miles... next week? That would be "classic" 3 week taper, but if I take a cutback week next week and do it on the 24th, that'd be a 2 week taper which was my original idea. Still not sure what to do.

Cashmason

Kimmie,

If you feel like you are being stabbed in the side of your knee with an ice pick,  or there is a burning sensation at the bump on the side of your knee, it is probably  ITBS.

Anything that bends the knee 10 to 30 degrees is likely to hurt.  More or less than that,  maybe no pain at all.

I could do elliptical, swimming or bicycling no problem.  Some people have problems with biking or elliptical,  I didn't.

Google  Walt's stretch  aka Walk Reynolds  I think.  That stretch helped me some.

I also found that a foam roller helped me a lot. 

Looks like this

http://www.overstock.com/Health-Beauty/Cando-Foam-Roller/4455374/product.html?cid=123620&fp=F&mr:trackingCode=BAC00F36-52C1-DF11-98FF-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA

It cost me about 20 dollars a couple of years ago.   Well worth the money.  Great for quads, hamstrings and a sore back as well.

Sometimes you can find this at Target.   Needs to be much firmer than a pool swimming noodle.  It is about 6 inches in Diameter and 3 feet long.

First ITBS took 2 weeks to heal.   3rd episode took 3 months to heal.   Didn't help that I was stupid, many times,  and tried to run the first day it didn't hurt,  and came home limping every time.

I needed my running wife Erika to be around to tell me not to do stoopid stuff like that.  Much easier to tell someone else, than to do it yourself.  I might have listened to her.   I definitely didn't listen to my own good sense.

3 mile run to Mike's house with the dogs,  watch the Charger game, then 3 miles back with the dogs.