Marathon Trainers

Week of 4/26/2010 Last Week of April! (Read 235 times)

theyapper

On the road again...

Had a great run this morning - a bit over 4 miles.  Got 10 or so on the schedule tomorrow.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Bugs

Pam,

I just have to be careful not to overdue it, just seem to bang up my body easy. The hip-flexor weights is what makes me sore more than the leg extensions. Also squats get me.  I wish I could get my miles up. I was trying some ploy-metric stuff so I would be stronger before I built up the miles, but that sure back fired and left me with this ankle problem.

Bugs

Kimmie

The weight lifting balance is tricky.   You want to lift heavy enough so that you will see results, but not so heavy as to trash your body for your next run.  I overdid it on Thursday.   I'm sure you know, the more you lift, the harder it  will be to get sore from lifting.

Off for 8 miles this morning with a new friend.   Hope she doesn't mind slow.

Happy Camper

I'll add on the weight training that 2x per week is a good mix with running. I also am doing better lifting on a 6 week cycle.  I used to just lift at a near max load of 8 - 10 reps until I could do 12 - 15 reps then I would add more weight.  The study I am in determined max load, then has us working 2 weeks at each level before moving up with a rest week planned on the 7th week.  Next week will be the second max load week for me or the 6th week of the cycle. I feel it  a little the next day and a little more the second day after lifting but it has  not  forced me to cut running volume yet.  Will  see this morning if  it has helped my speed any.  I'm running a 5k at 8:00 am.

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

theyapper

On the road again...

I used to lift 3x a week until the weights got moved out of the family room and onto the back porch.  No I don't have to worry about how to mix running with lifting. 

Finished the week up with a 2 hour long run.  For the first time ever, I ran every run this week with an average pace under 10 min miles.  Not sure that will always happen, but it was cool that it did this week.

Have a great week-end everyone.

Paul

Happy Camper

5k went ok for me.  23:11 self timed.  May loose a second or two as I shut it off at the end of the finish shoot.  8th overall, 4th in age group I think.  Good turnout for a school benefit run and with a few other races going on around town today.  I think there were close to 60 runners and walkers.  It was close to home so I did a 2-mile warmup run to the school and then 2-mile cooldown run home.  First time under 24 minutes for a 5k this season for me.  Tomorrow will be the second 20-miler in training for Pikes Peak.  Next race for me won't be until mid-June.

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Bugs

Race Report:

Half Marathon=1:48 avg pace 8:24, a PR officially. A strong race for my first race of the season. It was very windy (15-20mph) and was pushing against the wind at the finish. I forgot how hard this racing could be. Ankles felt good, no shin pain, just really happy to feel good, but all the twists and turns were a little annoying when trying to run fast, but gorgeous course around a lake. Was hard to judge pacing efforts with the wind but very tired that last mile. Amazing how much harder today was than my 9:00 avg 20 mile run. Totally different challenges there. Did I go out to hard? I don't know because the wind was pushing me and I needed to take advantage of that. Almost pastout crossing the finish. No more coffee for me before a race. Did manage 4 more miles after. Time to start training for Grandmas.

Bugs

Nice races, pace and bugs.

Harriet and I will be running a half tomorrow, and the weather is showing 71° at the start(!), at 6:30(!!).  No PR for me tomorrow, that's for sure.  (It wasn't going to happen of course, anyway, with my forced lack of conditioning recently).

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

theyapper

On the road again...

Some really nice racing here.  Great job.

Paul

evanflein

Woohoo Bugs! Very nice! I was sure you'd PR this one. And I agree... racing in wind is really hard. Throws all sense of pacing (well, whatever sense I have) all out the window. Nice job, and good cool down afterwards.

I found lunges and one-legged squats the hardest on my running, but once I backed off and worked up to them they were ok; just needed to do them in the beginning of the week, not right before long runs! Most of my weight training focused on upper body and core. I figured I did enough hills to work my legs well enough.

Nice 5k for you, Bryan! How's the training for Pike's Peak coming along? 

Is Amanda running today or tomorrow? I forget which race she's doing, just that it's going to be HOT and Pam might run her in at the end. Hope it goes well, be careful in the heat, ladies!

Same to you and PDR, Lou. Hope it isn't too hot for the full marathoners. What's with the early heat wave out east? You guys are having wacky weather the last few months.

My 5k went well. Much better than I was expecting for having been up so late drinking wine, eating popcorn and watching movies. (heheheh) Hey, a kidless house, burgers for dinner... date night on Friday night what can I say. The rain let up to be just occasional spits and drizzle, no wind (thank God), lots of puddles and some potholes. At the one mile mark, someone was calling times and he said 6:35 as I went by. Oops, a bit too fast. Sure enough, I had a hard time holding pace the last mile, with the last .1 mile kick being a little less than stellar. I checked my Garmin at the one mile mark and it was NOT on! WTH?? Oh well, turned it on at mile 1, but not sure why. I think the clock said 22:20 when I crossed, but official times won't be out till tonight. I still can't seem to crack 22:00 for a 5k, but this would be a new PR for me (by 4 seconds or so), so I seem to be chipping away at it. 

Got there late enough to only get a .5 mile warm up (another problem, probably) and then ran easy 3.2 miles back to DH's office for my ride home. 6.8 miles for the day.

Kimmie

5k went ok for me.  23:11 self timed.  May loose a second or two as I shut it off at the end of the finish shoot.  8th overall, 4th in age group I think.  Good turnout for a school benefit run and with a few other races going on around town today.  I think there were close to 60 runners and walkers.  It was close to home so I did a 2-mile warmup run to the school and then 2-mile cooldown run home.  First time under 24 minutes for a 5k this season for me.  Tomorrow will be the second 20-miler in training for Pikes Peak.  Next race for me won't be until mid-June.

Nice job Pace.  How did you feel?

Kimmie

Race Report:

Half Marathon=1:48 avg pace 8:24, a PR officially. A strong race for my first race of the season. It was very windy (15-20mph) and was pushing against the wind at the finish. I forgot how hard this racing could be. Ankles felt good, no shin pain, just really happy to feel good, but all the twists and turns were a little annoying when trying to run fast, but gorgeous course around a lake. Was hard to judge pacing efforts with the wind but very tired that last mile. Amazing how much harder today was than my 9:00 avg 20 mile run. Totally different challenges there. Did I go out to hard? I don't know because the wind was pushing me and I needed to take advantage of that. Almost pastout crossing the finish. No more coffee for me before a race. Did manage 4 more miles after. Time to start training for Grandmas.

That's super fast!!!   Wow, so awesome.  

Murphy,

No jogging stroller? I know it is harder to run that way but think it is also good training. Good Luck & Have fun.

I need a jogging stroller. The one we have is no good for the back, I have to lean forward to run with it.

Race Report:

CONGRATS!

Dave

Race Report:

That is AWESOME Bugs!!

Huge progress.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com