Marathon Trainers

Week of 5/25 (Read 348 times)

Somehow I got it right this morning 

Still warm and humid 65°F and 94% humidity.  But it was only a 3 miler, so no problem really.  We're headed to Charleston SC this morning for a week -- not looking forward to the drive, but should be fun once we get there.

3.1 miles, 29:27, 9:22/mi, AHR 131 (67% MHR)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Dave

Its a holiday so I have no excuse for not putting together a weekly summary, and it was quite a week so I'll definitely do one.

It was another banner week in Blister-land.  We had three marathon runners this week with two PR's and some great racing on top of that.  

Jhallum and MrI ran Bayshore and both cranked out PR's, Jhallum to BQ with an absolutely sweltering time of 3:13 and MrInertia with a 50 minute PR and a time of 3:44.  Big congratulations to you both.

MrInertia set a new Blister standard for smart training and maybe even smarter racing.  4 minute negative split and two successive half marathon PR's .

Jellyfish did what jellyfish do.  No, she didn't float around aimlessly in the ocean.  She ran yet another marathon, this time up in Vermont at Lake Champlain.  Lots of driving. Apparently some of it over the speed limit.

AmoresPerros had another AG win this week in a 10 miler but fell short of his PR time and goal of going sub-1:07.  Cry me a friggin river.  Well done, Perry.  He also ran another race on Sunday and managed a total of over 70 miles again this week.  The dude is a machine.

P2R is back to HUGE miles getting ready for some sort of ultra marathon craziness.  Over 100 again this week (DAMN).

Rockenmamma runs more miles on her recovery weeks than I run peaking for my marathons.

Cash went over 40 miles.    Dang.  And TheYapper ran more miles than me.  

We now have this message feature on RA and it gives us a way to send private notes to people who don't post their email addresses.  So far, all I've gotten is a very nice note from this guy in Africa who needs my bank account information so that he can receive his inheritance.  I get a nice chunk of money out of the deal too.

Maybe we should start poking the lurkers.  

Believe Bugs is next in the marathon hopper.  Easy miles everyone.

Name Distance Time
      pace2race  103.1 Mi 17:33:05
      AmoresPerros 74 Mi 10:31:53
      DanMoriarity 54.3 Mi 7:26:49
      rockenmamof5 50.7 Mi 8:13:35
      jhallum 48.8 Mi 6:15:39
      WillRunForBeer 44.2 Mi 6:19:27
      Mr Inertia  44 Mi 6:23:05
      dcv2002 41.3 Mi 5:40:35
      Cashmason  40.6 Mi 6:19:10
      Kimmie 30.5 Mi 4:33:18
      old-runner 27.2 Mi 3:50:42
      Joe Nation 25.9 Mi 4:30:00
      theyapper66 21.5 Mi 4:21:13
      dgb2n  21.1 Mi 2:55:42
      evanflein  15.5 Mi 2:18:07
      Dutchie42 14.7 Mi 2:50:14
      VixiDu 12 Mi 1:50:41
      HuskerB 7.2 Mi 1:10:47
      lilcat19 5.1 Mi 44:10

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Kimmie

nice summary Dave.  We've had some great racing going on in here.

this morning I ran with two friends who are trying to get back into running... so we did some walking and kept the running at an easy pace.  I hope they feel encouraged and ready to get back into it.  

I just got back from 3 more miles at a bit faster pace for myself.  super hot out there but nice and sunny.  This will make the pool feel awesome!!!

Hope you all enjoy your holiday.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Wanted a short easy recovery run today b/c I got 20mi in yesterday (w a 5M race). So agreed to run into park w DW to meet my brother's family w kids. Did that, played with kids at fort, took them up tower, etc. Go to run back, DW wants more miles. Um, ok, so do longer way back. Come out of park and she still wants me, so I go along for a longer loop. Finally I bail out, very tired, and cut to the house, only to have several people out front to make fun of me for losing DW... Darn relatives Smile

Happy Memorial Day to all!

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Happy memorial day from South Carolina!  I should have mentioned this when I started the thread, but I guess I was still groggy from lack of sleep.  Thanks to our veterans and those who are serving now (Dave!).

We had an easy trip, and just finished dinner.  Only 9 hours, even with stopping to pick up dawndaughter2.  Dawndaughter1 and husband (and baby bump) will arrive tomorrow evening.

Hope everyone is having a GREAT & SAFE Holiday!

Some great racing went on this past week. GREAT recap Dave!!

That thing Lou posted ( I think it was Lou)  showing how many peeps ya pass and how many passed you made me curious to see my results.  I was passed by 1 person from half split to finish and I passed 71 people. Nice that it was a small enough race that it didn't take me long to figure out.

Had a great day today. Enjoyed a nice 5.5 mile run after a day full of shopping.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Bugs

Great job marathon runners.  Enjoy your recovery. Pam I can't believe you're up and running for 100K.

Going to (try to) stay out of here for awhile. DH really doesn't like me on the computer so much and I'm trying to appease. Not sure where I'm at training wise for this marathon. Still fighting some soft tissue injuries and I'm not such a fan of hill springing or minimalist shoes right now. Hope you guys all had a great weekend; if it didn't involve a fight with a loaded shotgun, it was better than mine..

Bugs

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

babybump = baby in oven? Smile

Bugs, stay healthy and safe and not in firing line of loaded weapons please!

Bugs - what happened with the gun?  I hope your soft tissue issues go away quickly.  That hill springing looks like good exercise -- sorry to hear it caused a problem.

Yes, baby bump = baby in oven -- she's due in August.  Our first grandchild.

I think I found a running route for the morning.  It's over a bridge so a long hill, but that'll be fine, of course.  It's supposed to have a pedestrian walk -- I hope it does 

Ok, where is everyone?

Today's run was supposed to be tempo, but given I don't know the area and there was a huge hill to get to the top of the bridge, I decided not to even attempt that.  Plus it got to 77°F by the end of the run, and I was a little dizzy so I'd slowed it down the last mile or so.  Still got 8 or so GA miles in (was supposed to be 9 but I took a wrong turn to get to the bridge and didn't want to take that way back.

8.6 miles, 1:11:44, 8:18/mi, AHR 166 (85% MHR)

7:49(140)

7:49(156)

7:50(165)

8:30(171)

8:30(173)

8:04(162)

8:28(164)

8:59(168)

5:45(167) [0.64=9:01]

Anyone want to guess where the bridge was?  

5th mile Lou??

Yes I think I might be a little nuts Bugs.

Will be heading out for my run in a little bit. I was looking at my milage the week of my last ultra and I took 3 days off. Won't be doing that this week and hopefully the milage that I do run doesn't mess with Saturdays run. Could end up being my highest milage week ever or could just blow up in my face.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Dave

3.6 yesterday with DW.  Trying to slowly get her more engaged in running after her 5K.  First 5K of this training run was in 38 minutes, a full 5 minutes faster than her last 5K but that was with DD11.  Not setting any speed records but good to get out together.

Lots of rain here today.  Will crank a few miles on the treadmill.  Legs feel tight and sort of achey.  Sad given my limited mileage as of late but the tempo/hill work over the weekend didn't help.

That is some HR on that run, Lou.  Shows the importance of starting easy.  Once the HR gets elevated, its tough for me to get it back down.

I thorougly enjoyed both MrI's and Jeremy's RR's.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Georgia on his mind, Georgia under his feet, Georgia in his budding family tree -- ode to Georgia, for Lou Smile

Hey Dave, that's pretty neat that your wife has tried a 5K -- hope she continues to enjoy some running, at whatever level is comfortable for her and fits into her schedule...

Hail to The Victors!

5 easy today.  The first run of Boston training, I suppose. :-)  Felt really great, legs are surprisingly lively, I suppose 48 hours off have something to do with that.  

I'm looking at MrI's 50 minute PR, and extremely impressed.  Hope you keep up the hard work!  You'll be at Boston before you know it!

evanflein

Hey.

Had a good weekend but geez why do they always seem too short?? Three days was just not enough. So I guess I'll repeat it next weekend! Taking Friday off for another 3-day break. I don't take much vacation time during the year, so when it's nice out I want to use it now! Got almost all the prep work done on the garden:

• hauled 2 loads of "garden mix" (a peat moss/sand mix)
                              • hauled 1 load of horse manure (gift from the dearly departed--2 years ago now)
                              • rototilled the whole garden (it's really quite large...)
                              • raked up the edges and got rid of weeds that got tilled in.

I also spent hours working on my flower beds and trees/shrubs: clearing the brush that's grown up around them so you can actually see them from the road... juniper, lilacs, crabapple trees and chokecherries. Gave each one at least 3 gallons of water over the course of the afternoon. They're so dry!

Went to the nursery and got flats of veggies and flowers... will work this week on hardening them off and plant next weekend. Yay! Nice to have a plan and the end in sight. The only thing I really need now is seed potatoes because most places seem to be out. Uh oh.

Running? Oh yeah, did that. 6 miles with my first hills since before Boston (that 2 mile uphill back to home felt so hard!) on Sunday. Then I broke the "every other day" rehab rule and ran 4 miles with some serious hillage yesterday. DH wanted an early morning run (heh, early for us was 10 a.m.) so we went out on our road which is normally a 5k hilly route, but I circled back on the hills to do them again to go back and check on him.

Today, I feel good but my back is stiff from all the yard work. Not as bad as I thought it might be though, so that's improvement. Sure felt a lot of popping and cracking in my lumbar area when I was pulling roots and brush, though. Ugh.

Yeah the bridge was 4thand 5th miles -- Dave is right: once the HR was up it wouldn't come down.

Great cross-training, Erika!

Ok, time to relax with Once a Runner.  Then maybe a nap.