Marathon Trainers

Week of 6/1/09 (Read 321 times)

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Wow Bugs. THat's just, um, I mean it's uh.

I got nothing. I don't even know what to say.

I signed up for a two hour spin class on Saturday to raise money for renovations to our spin room and then changed my mind. I'm still easing back into things. I've gone up to an hour, might kick the tires on a 90 min run this weekend, may stick to an hour.

Graph looks funny when there's a marathon stuck right in the middle of it.

Graph looks funny when there's a marathon stuck right in the middle of it.

That it does.

Hey, Pam -- pretty cool on the accidental marathon!

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Happy Camper

Awesome news on the race Pam!  Hope the cool weather we've had yesterday and today shows up for your marathon.

Funny about the chinup bar.  That's what I just finished up pt'ing my shoulder from.  Good luck!

O for June on the running.  May take the month off.  I'll have to see how much it sets me back.  Swimming is starting to wear on my shoulder.  I'll need to look into a different stroke or mix in some pool running.  I swam 2,400 yds Monday and Tuesday.  2,600 yds on Wednesday and Thursday.  I've learned that drag can really slow you down and you can only swim as fast as you can breathe.  Back at it tomorrow.

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Kimmie

Pam- Very cool!!!  Can't wait to hear about it... wish I could just jump into a marathon.

Pace- So sorry to hear about your ongoing issues with your shoulder... hang in there.

No running again for me today... can't believe I just missed two days in a row of running... how did that happen?

Bugs

P2R,

Thanks for the reminder to be careful with the chin-up bar. I doubt I will be as obsessive about them, they are less for fun for a whimp like me.  Are you planning another vacation up north? Think both of us could use some XTing that involved nothing but throwing a fishing line out of a boat.

Pam,

Good luck. You amaze me.

I stretched tonight, hamstrings are still not the best. I try to resume running tomorrow. Keep your fingers crossed. I need a little luck these days.

Bugs

Cashmason

Bugs we are behind you 100 percent.   That last email just doesnt sound  like it came from somebody with Nobby's experience.   He must have been taken over by an alien.

A friend loaned me the P90X dvd's.  It is a heck of a workout.  The catch is they say to see the results, you also have to stick somewhat closely to their diet.

And it is hard to do their stuff and do your regular workouts.   I found I couldnt do their stuff, and swim bike and run too.

I used to not be able to do any pull ups,  now I can do 5 -7.  I do em every time I go to the gym, and I actually like them now.

Good luck on the last minute Marathon Pam.

Lou,  big arms don't help you run faster, and you already have a beautiful wife.  Looks like noodle arms are the way to go.

Lou,  big arms don't help you run faster, and you already have a beautiful wife.  Looks like noodle arms are the way to go.

Well that sure made PDR smile Smile

Recovery day for me:

3.1 miles, 29:00, 9:13/mi, AHR 129 (66% MHR)

Sorry to hear about your shoulder issue Pace!! I can't do chin ups do to neck issue's (well dh won't let me lol)

Thanks for all the well wishes for this weekend! 4 years ago I would have never believed that I would be in good enough shape to not only run a marathon with no notice but do one the week after a tough 50k. Anyway this probably won't occure again anytime soon since I would rather RUN MORE than marathon more. I'm really really excited.

Hope you all have a great weekend! I'll be back Wed Smile I'll be bringing my computer of course but not sure if I'll have any time to get on it. And I totally forgot to order a new trackball for my blackberry (phone got left on car, flew off car while in motion, dh found pieces in several different spots but didn't find the track ball and beliee it or not it still works.l He calls it the miracle phone)

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

I've been working on chin ups for a few months and can do 1.5 of them. It's a slow go. At work we have an chin up assist machine which is pretty cool.

I'm going to be starting some weight training. It's quite daunting - been a while since I've been clueless about something. I've got a book that's similar to Daniels Running Formula - it talks about the princicples of weight training, goal setting and things of that nature. Decent amount of physiology and has a few training programs in the back. I've done a few workouts here and there and plan on starting training consistently next week.

Going for a 35-45 min run today and am going to kick the tires on a 90 min run tomorrow morning.

Hail to The Victors!

I'm going to be starting some weight training. It's quite daunting - been a while since I've been clueless about something. I've got a book that's similar to Daniels Running Formula - it talks about the princicples of weight training, goal setting and things of that nature. Decent amount of physiology and has a few training programs in the back. I've done a few workouts here and there and plan on starting training consistently next week.

Which book is that?    I've been thinking about some weight training this year, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Good Luck Pam on the marathon!  Rock it!

I'm sitting at my parents place, relaxing and getting ready to go golfing.  Did 5 today on the same roads I ran on in High School...pretty neato.  Hey Bugs, I'm only 120 miles away, I can see your house from here. ;-) 

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

It's called Strength Training and it's published by the National Strength and Conditioning Association, edited by Lee Brown.

45 min run felt quite good. Looks like I should be a go for a 90 min run tomorrow.

Cashmason

Went to 2 different dog shelters Friday.   Estimate I ran about 3 miles total with about 10 different dogs.  Plus couple hours of walking.    8 hours in the sun,  and I look like lobster boy.

One shelter wants me to adopt any one of 3 difficult  dogs,  since I showed them I know how to be the pack leader.

I am leaning towards one at another shelter that is easy, and would not require nearly as much time and training.

I'm not sure I'd be good at dealing with difficult dogs.  That's a good skill to have.

I got my replacement garmin, which seems to be reading better than the "spare" I'd been using.  I think I'd mentioned that the spare was reading that I was running farther than I really was, which makes my pace read faster.  Now I have to try to talk them into replacing the spare.

5.1 miles, 45:32, 8:57/mi, AHR 136 (70% MHR)

Kimmie

hey you all,

Only ran 4 miles this morning with my beginner group... kinda feels like I did nothing... but it's got to count for something, right?  

I will run 12 tomorrow morning.

Hope Pam made it safely and good luck to her on her marathon.

I know JellyFish isn't around much anymore, but I do know she ran God's Country Marathon this morning, I think.  I was briefly considering this one... it's got crazy elevation change.

Wonder how it was for her....

Have a good one all.... tons of family activities going on today.

Dave

4 miles absolutely counts, Kim .

Woke up Friday morning with a sore throat.  ugh.. Took the day off.  Feeling better today.  May get in an easy 5 later on.

Really starting to crash on getting the house ready for the move.  We'll move into the new house three weeks from tomorrow.  So much to do.  Today was the garage.  More painting scheduled for tomorrow and some next week.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com