Marathon Trainers

Week of 1/26 (Read 314 times)

Oh Mighty Wing

Thanks, Bugs. I've been following that thread but hadn't seen Nobby's post yet. It really confirms what I've been thinking as far as how to proceed. Here are my next steps: 1. Stretch twice daily 2. Continue weight training 3. Continue running but slow down and go until I feel pain. Thoughts?
    good thoughts. ohh and I know many people here really like a foam roller. I really like the stick. maybe you'd enjoy one of those too.
      Yapper, I'll add you need to do squats and lunges.
      I don't like to disagree with Erika, but be careful with the squats and lunges. I have found that my knees, which are a big mess, have gotten worse if I lunge using any weights at all. I am able to lunge when my knees are well, but when they're hurting I avoid this exercise. Of course, I haven't been strength training as much as I should be but that is, as they say, neither here nor there (no idea why they say that though)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Oh Mighty Wing

i've started doing some walking lunges after my morning run. I don't use any extra weight - for me it's a balancing exercise!
          Pre-run, I mixed up some whole wheat, oatmeal, beer bread -- it's in its second rise now. 5.1 miles, 47:24, 9:18/mi, AHR 139 (70% MHR) Now to start chopping vegetables and grinding meat for the chili. mmmm.

Oh Mighty Wing

Pre-run, I mixed up some whole wheat, oatmeal, beer bread -- it's in its second rise now. 5.1 miles, 47:24, 9:18/mi, AHR 139 (70% MHR) Now to start chopping vegetables and grinding meat for the chili. mmmm.
            beer bread???
              I think you were pretty consistant in that run Erika! I don't know about you but my legs have their own mind most of the time and consistant pacing isn't their strong suit. Gonna share Lou???? Nice run Smile Guess I may be the only one who really doesn't do any leg strengthening exercises. I used to however once I started running alot I stopped and haven't gotten back to them. Maybe one day....... They, I think how you're thinking is the way to go.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

beer bread???
                I just use beer instead of water/milk. The recipe is right out of joy of cooking (traditional roll recipe), except I use mostly wheat flour (1 c white), and the beer from whatever I have on tap, like I said. That recipe forms one loaf of bread.

Oh Mighty Wing

thanks! I'll have to try this when we fill the keg!
                    thanks! I'll have to try this when we fill the keg!
                    Well I suppose it is possible to do with commercial beer as well Wink

Oh Mighty Wing

Well I suppose it is possible to do with commercial beer as well Wink
                      if I had to wait for DH to decide it's time to make beer again i'll be 50!! I keep asking - he keeps giving me the good ol' "oh yeah we'll do that"Wink

Hail to The Victors!

Erika, that's a very nice run! I'm pretty sure I couldn't do the same workout in the same conditions. Nice job!

Dave

Very nice run Erika. It turns out I got a much needed kick in the butt when I needed it to get out the door this morning(thanks, Shan Big grin.) 20.5 miles in 3:07:30. 144 AHR. I slowed it down and it really helped. Good consistent splits with 3.5 on the treadmill thrown in the middle (I stopped at my gym to refill water and hopped on) to even out the mileage.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Oh Mighty Wing

YEAH DAVE!!!! Great job!!!
                              Nice run, Dave!

Cashmason

13.16 miles with 12 thousand of my newest friends. Kicked ass and took names. ( By my standards). 9 minute PR. Time for a shower.