Marathon Trainers

Week of 1/26 (Read 314 times)

Oh Mighty Wing

5 this afternoon.
    Kimmie

ran 5 on the treadmill.....
      Cashmason

Kimmie, I have great legs, if I shaved them like a lot of male triathletes do, and wore a kilt, could I join your team? Ya I saw you found the 12 runner. I would think more about how are you gonna get rested enough to run at 3 am when you are in a van with 6 other stinky people. Running, at least you will get some fresh air. Or you could do what this person did: Career Advice Dear Employee, Please show up for work at the appointed time. When you don't, it is problematic since 50 people are counting on you to be there to lead them through an off the chain experience. In the future, I would suggest coming up with a better excuse than "I drank a lot of Red Bull and then couldn't get to sleep, so I took Atavan and Ambien and slept through work". Your Pal,
        evanflein

Those relays are a blast. I did the AZ Ragnar Relay last year and it was so much fun! I had a run starting a little after 1 a.m.... 7+ miles almost all downhill. Weeee! I'd love to do it again but I can't afford the trip this year. Nice run, Pam. I did RAL today. 5.5 miles in 45:32, including a one mile warm up at 8:49, then 6 half mile repeats with the first 4 at 8:00, the last 2 at 7:41 with .25 mile recoveries at 8:34. Didn't want to keep going at first, but then I was mad I ran out of time! So it goes...
            Don't the find the due date by counting the number of weeks since the last period anymore? quote> Shes not real regular..and yeah, she's 38 so that was a reason as well. It was awesome. Saw the baby real clear, heard the heartbeat very loudly. Everything looked good. They put the due date at Sept 5th...which would just put her at almost 8 weeks. I guess what happens in Vegas doesnt neccesarily stay in Vegas Big grin. We actually think its a week closer based on the preg calculator from the last period. And the book we got says heatbeat not usually audible until 8 weeks, and the size matches more closely to 8 weeks according to that...which would put dd about Aug 26.

Oh Mighty Wing

Kimmie - yeah for the treadmill Cash - we all know you're a stud. Keep the hair on your legs!! Erika - nice run!!!! My run held the same feelings today!! Murphy - I am SOOO happy for you both!! That is awesome! I am glad things went well today!!!

Dave

Congrats, Murphy. Very exciting times. 5 on the treadmill for me today as well.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Oh Mighty Wing

Dave - thank you.
                  Kimmie

Cash, I have no words... Erika, Dave, Shan- great running... Shan, you're running doubles... that's muy impressive. Murphy- congrats!!! I loved being able to hear the heartbeat of both my babies... so cool. Ok, people let's focus on my marathon and not my relay- I've got months to think about that- and only 2 weeks to think about this marathon. Smile Really, I have some questions for you treadmillers... ready? 1. Do you listen to music while on the mill? 2. Do you watch TV? Movies? 3. Do you vary the speed and incline so as not to get bored? 4. Do you ever stop to get water? 5. Do you try to match the pace of the person next to you at the gym? 6. Do you wear shorts? Ok, I think that's it. Tomorrow will be another treadmill day... what a baby I am. Somehow last winter, I pretty much ran outside the whole time.

Dave

Really, I have some questions for you treadmillers... ready? 1. Do you listen to music while on the mill?
                      Sometimes. I usually listen to podcasts for most of it and switch to music when I get really bored.
                      2. Do you watch TV? Movies?
                      Occasionally. I rip them to my Ipod Touch and watch them on that at the gym
                      3. Do you vary the speed and incline so as not to get bored?
                      Most of the time. Occasionally, I can get 5 miles in at an easy pace without varying it.
                      4. Do you ever stop to get water?
                      No. I usually drink a bottle while I run though. If I were going longer than an hour or so, I might have to so I could refill.
                      5. Do you try to match the pace of the person next to you at the gym?
                      No. I run my own pace but I do look Wink
                      6. Do you wear shorts?
                      Yep. Bally's gets annoyed when I run commando Big grin

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Cashmason

Ditto with Dave. LA Fitness frowns on guys running commando. I listen to what ever music the gym has on. They have tv's up on the wall, but no sound. If you have an Ipod that gets fm radio, you can get tv sound. I do vary the speed, depending on if I am trying to get in a tempo or progression run. Tonights 5k was constant speed. Don't really care about what speed the person next to me is doing. I almost always go longer and farther than they go. Plus many of them when they go fast hang onto the machine and have it basically tow them. Same when they raise the incline, then hang onto the machine and lean back. So in effect its a flat treadmill effort, but the calories burned according to the machine goes way up. And they wonder why their body composition never changes. Women wear just about anything, short shorts, regular shorts, skirts, capri's long pants, even jeans sometimes.
                        evanflein

Ha... treadmill questions. Feels like my specialty! Big grin 1. Do you listen to music while on the mill? Yes, unless I'm at the gym then I'll usually watch the news (if it's on), Food Network (don't get it at home, cool stuff), or TV/movies, whatever's on the "Cardio Theater" as they call it. I have lots of playlists for different types of runs. I like to match my pace on harder runs to some of DS1's techno/dance music. Some of it's tedious, but there's some good stuff too. 2. Do you watch TV? Movies? Well, see #1. 3. Do you vary the speed and incline so as not to get bored? Almost always. BUT, sometimes my goal is an easy run or recovery, and I'm very bad bad bad at that out on the road. Always go too fast. So the TM helps me keep the pace I need. I can adjust incline to give a little harder workout instead of increasing pace. Favorite runs on the TM are progression runs or intervals, preferably half mile repeats like today. I like to start out at my warm up pace (usually 6.8 mph or 8:49 m/m), then increase .1 mph every mile as I go. If it gets tuff, I'll keep it there for a couple instead of increasing. Gives a pretty kick butt workout if you're looking at 9-11 miles! 4. Do you ever stop to get water? Hardly ever. I'll stop for emergency bathroom breaks, but I don't usually stop when I'm outside, so don't want to stop on the TM either. 5. Do you try to match the pace of the person next to you at the gym? Heheh, sometimes. Or if it's a guy, I might try to beat it. But usually I'm good and ignore those around me. 6. Do you wear shorts? At the gym, well yes of course. At home, not always. I've done several runs in my underwear. Who cares?
                            Treadmill? What's that? Smile 1-2" of snow/ice on the streets this morning, but the yaktrax worked well. It was somewhat more effort running through that muck than it would have been on dry streets, though. The freezing rain pu 1/4" sheen of ice on me by the time I was done. Finished up with some shoveling and then some core work. 6.0 miles, 56:21, 9:20/mi, AHR 140 (70% MHR) After our run, PDR said, "this isn't normal".

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Oh Mighty Wing

Really, I have some questions for you treadmillers... ready? 1. Do you listen to music while on the mill? I listen to whatevers on 2. Do you watch TV? Movies? no as there is no tv where my treadmill is 3. Do you vary the speed and incline so as not to get bored? no - ok well maybe a little on the speed but not enough to shout 4. Do you ever stop to get water? if I can't help myself. Normally though I keep a bottle with me 5. Do you try to match the pace of the person next to you at the gym? no as my partners are normally high school kids and those young things are fast! 6. Do you wear shorts? heck yeah it's like a sauna in there! and thanks! I'm really enjoying them! Not sure how it will go today as we have a snow day and a nice snow with ice on top thing going on. So i'll probably head out for run #1 around 9 and then play run number 2 by leg.
                                Thanks Erika! What's RAL? Gotta love it when you end up enjoying something that you didn't want to do in the getgo. Congrats again Murphy Smile NICE run Lou!!! This snow with ice crap has GOTTA GO. We gotta lot of snow and hopefully it won't be ruined by too much ice. Cash, I think pictures of said nice legs are in order

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson