Marathon Trainers

Week of 1/26 (Read 314 times)

Dave

Sure, I'm fine. Just busy with this course I'm taking (4 weeks). If I had WRFB's discipline and got up early to run I'd have no excuses but I don't. I did bring my stuff to get in some treadmill time later today. MrI, very sorry to hear about the layoff. Hopefully you'll land on your feet and find something you truly love to do. I know this is a very challenging time for so many.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Oh Mighty Wing

phew!! i thought your knee might still hate you! and you didn't want to tell us!
      Kimmie

any suggestions for a good treadmill workout?
          To steal a plan from mikeymike: Run a lot. Mostly easy. Some hard. Seriously, I would just do whatever you'd normally do, but on a treadmill. But I should say that I have absolutely no experience in this area.
          Sure, I'm fine.
          Oh good. I, too, was worried about your knee.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

evanflein

Mr I that really sucks. I'm sorry. Even though you say you weren't real happy there, it's always better to leave on your terms. But, I think you've found some bright spots in the picture, so that's good. Just seems like there's so much of this going around now. Hey, and watch that third one. Like Shan said, that's where injuries can mess things up. Last nights run was 9.1 miles in average -25° temps. That was cold!! I got a little chilled on the way home and my fingers were white till I took a nice hot shower. All in all, I was dressed fine and stayed comfortable during the run, it was afterward that I got chilled. Oh, and coming back up the hill to my car I met a headwind I wasn't expecting! About 10 mph winds at -20 really packs a punch. Kimmie, treadmill runs? My favorites are progression runs or repeats of various lengths, half mile being my favorite. You've got to do something to make time go by. Otherwise you just watch the clock and feel like you'll never get done. Speaking of which... today's RAL will be a 5 miler at the gym, planning a couple of tempo miles in there to spice things up a bit while I watch the Food Network... I don't get that at home and I'm starting to look forward to it as much as the run itself! Smile
            Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Cruise intervals and tempo runs make TM running worhtwhile. I do them once a week. Here are a few of my favorites Simply 20-40 min @ LT 5-7 x 5 min repeats @ LT w/1 min rests A good one for the marathon folks is 1 hour easy, 5 x 5min LT intervals w/ 1 min rests or the reverse warmup, 5 x 5 MI LT intervals w/ 1 min rests Or sometimes when I feel like running faster, 4 min repeats at 5k race pace are fun. Or, throw the TM on the hill, random or XC program and just run easy.

Bugs

- progressive runs - hill intervals. go by time warm-up, five minutes at 10% incline, recover, repeat

Bugs

Kimmie

I ended up doing 5 miles of 800 repeats.... at a 7.3 and I bumped the incline up and down... tried to jog 60-09 seconds recovery..
                    So sorry to hear the bad news Mr. I!! ((((HUGS)))) Nice runs everyone!! I made a breakthrough in my running (I think lol) I always have a hard time controlling my run, it's usually my legs that do all the controlling. However I decided that I would attempt a steay state run. I didn't decide until around the 3rd mile so I knew the first mile would be slower and I knew at least the last mile or 2 would be faster however I did manage to keep the brakes on pretty good. Anyways I managed 4 miles at 9:05. A mile at 9:06 .A mile at 9:03/ And 1 at 9:01. My average pace for the 10 mile run was.......... you guessed it 9:05 lol.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Dave

I took Bugs' suggestion and did a treadmill progression run. I was limited to an hour so I started with a mile at 9:00 pace and then picked it up first every mile and then every half mile until I was doing the last half mile at 8.4 on the treadmill for a total of 7.25 miles in an hour. My schedule is going to ease just a bit so I should be more consistent with my mileage through the weekend and into next week. Don't think I'll catch Shan though. Not sure I've ever said that before Tongue

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Oh Mighty Wing

WOOHOOO!!! And I didn't get my afternoon run in due to car/key mishaps and home crap. so there is still a chance although I plan on making up some of that mileage tomorrow so you know I might be out of your league this week! Wink
                          There was a bit of a melt yesterday, and the streets were not nearly as icy. So I didn't have to worry as much about falling on my butt. Hopefully we'll get more of a melt tomorrow -- we're having a super bowl party for the homebrew club, and right now the driveway is treacherous. I don't want to have to worry about those guys, so we may be out there chopping ice. 3.1 miles, 30:04, 9:37/mi, AHR 132 (66% MHR)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Cashmason

Nope Lou, I don't challenge anybody to anything until I have seen them perform. Now on the tennis court I might challenge folk. Running, nyut unh. Too many fast folk like Erika, and Pace. Taught spin tonight. Next two days are taper. After that might get back to swimming and riding outdoors. 101 miles for the month and thats my best in a year. Will leave it at that and start again in Feb.

Oh Mighty Wing

nice job cash!! WRFB - good luck chopping ice!! 3 miles this am.
                              Kimmie

I hate it when I plan to get up and run with friends and I turn my alarm off. I feel like such a wuss. I know I can run at lunch today. I was just looking forward to meeting up with them since it's been awhile. TEAM BLISTER: Aw, Kim... you're not a wuss. Your body probably needed the sleep. Kimmie: Thanks guys! No need to respond now, team... I got it covered. Ok, lou? Can you come chip the ice off my driveway too? Shy