Marathon Trainers

Week of 1/26 (Read 314 times)

Oh Mighty Wing

I WANT TO THROW MY RUNNING SHOES AGAINST THE WALL AND SCREAM AND CRY MY EYES OUT.
    why??? what is going on???

Bugs

Accidently hit enter. Smile It was 35F sunny day here, and just could not run my LR. I tried twice and restored to walking. I woke up with eager running legs but then just stiffened up in the morning. Now as I sit here, I wonder if I'm sick. Oh well, maybe this is a cutback week for me after all. So with careful consultation I am considering running the Fargo Marathon easy as my last long run before Grandmas. Grandmas would be my goal race. Now that does not sound like Bugs does it. Wasn't my idea, but what the hell. Thoughts?

Bugs

Dave

Yapper, I've struggled on and off with knee pain for quite a while. Usually for me it becomes an overuse injury and I have to build miles very carefully. The fact that it felt good during your run is a good sign. How did it feel afterwards before icing? I sort of do the 1-10 pain scale thing and mine is probably between a 1 and a 2 right now after regular runs but feels fine during. You've got to watch it as you build back and not do too much too soon. My knee is always much more sore after hard efforts than easy runs. Having said that, if your knee feels good, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to run a HM in 2 weeks, you just might not be able to push for "race pace". And you might need a week to recover. I took another rest day today. Planning on going long tomorrow and wanted to feel fresh. MTA: Bugs, 6 weeks apart, sounds like a perfect plan for a supported, marathon distance training run. I took a cutback week last week too. All part of the process. Hope you feel better.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Oh Mighty Wing

Accidently hit enter. Smile Thoughts?
          Bugs, those days happen. It could probably be alot of things. Just take it for what it is and jump back in the saggle again. and I say DO IT!!! That sounds like fun!!!
          I took another rest day today. Planning on going long tomorrow and wanted to feel fresh.
          what the heck??? Angry YOU BETTER HIT 20 TOMORROW Angry (but you better take it all slow all the time)

Cause I CAN

Accidently hit enter. Smile It was 35F sunny day here, and just could not run my LR. I tried twice and restored to walking. I woke up with eager running legs but then just stiffened up in the morning. Now as I sit here, I wonder if I'm sick. Oh well, maybe this is a cutback week for me after all. So with careful consultation I am considering running the Fargo Marathon easy as my last long run before Grandmas. Grandmas would be my goal race. Now that does not sound like Bugs does it. Wasn't my idea, but what the hell. Thoughts?
            bugs, sorry to hear that...hope your not sick! If you throw something, make it breakable, its more fun that wayBig grin
            Liver Transplant - July 2, 1991
            http://terri7291.blogspot.com/
            Kimmie

Hey Shan: since you asked, DH and I are going out tonight for my birthday. Super Bowl party tomorrow. He won't tell me where but I'm supposed to get dressed up. Smile And nice job on the long run even though no one was running your pace. I run with a group and sometimes find myself between the faster and slower groups. It's worth continuing to come out and see who might show up. theyapper: hey- I hope you run the Myrtle Beach Half- because then we could possibly meet up. Hang in there with the knee issues. Lou or WRFB ( what do you prefer?)- All I can say is, you are mentally tough- no wonder you and Erika are friends. Smile Bugs- so sorry you had a crappy running day. If it makes you feel any better, me too... kind of. I needed to be doing more stretching all week long I think and then there was a sock hop at my kids' school last night where I danced for three hours in high heeled boots.... so all that together made for a tough run for me this morning as well. I think that you could do Fargo as an easy long run. You seem disciplined enough not to go all out. What's the date again? i'm a little jealous that you're running Grandmas. You know I love that race. Erika, Dave, pace, Marathon Peach: Hi!
                Lou or WRFB ( what do you prefer?)- All I can say is, you are mentally tough- no wonder you and Erika are friends. Smile
                Either way is fine. I think on Master's thread it's about 50/50. BTW, I'm not nearly as tough as Erika (or Pam -- OMG, look at her miles so far this year!). Smile MTA: Happy birthday, Kimmie! Is it today?

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Oh Mighty Wing

ooohhh Kimmie that sounds like FUN!!!

Cause I CAN

Hi Kimmie happy bday...and have funSmile
                    Liver Transplant - July 2, 1991
                    http://terri7291.blogspot.com/
                    Kimmie

Thanks you all...it's actually tomorrow, but Super Bowl and all. 39 years young. Big grin
                      theyapper

On the road again...

Yapper, I've struggled on and off with knee pain for quite a while. Usually for me it becomes an overuse injury and I have to build miles very carefully. The fact that it felt good during your run is a good sign. How did it feel afterwards before icing? I sort of do the 1-10 pain scale thing and mine is probably between a 1 and a 2 right now after regular runs but feels fine during. You've got to watch it as you build back and not do too much too soon.
                        You know, I ran 600 miles last year - no troubles. 2 weeks before my first half, calf issue. Took a week off (right before the half), but ran the race and had no trouble. Took a couple days off, went out and ran a couple easy miles and felt pain in the right shin area. Shin splints, I figure, so I take another week off. December sucked, except for the half, which was nice. Started back running consistently a couple days into the new year, and January has been a blast. Averaging right around 25 mpw, nothing really hard, just easy running. Then a week ago, I had to walk a good bit in the last 2 miles of a long run because my knee hurt. Didn't hurt later after I'd rested, but the next time I went out, it came back in the 3rd mile. Did that a few times, and then I took 5 days off. I've been stretching my IT band(?) and doing some exercises that are supposed to help with runner's knee, and I've had 2 runs this week that felt good. I had no pain before I iced it, I was trying to be preventative. It's been about 6 hours since the run, and I do have some discomfort now (about a 2 on a scale of 1-10). Bottom line for me is that I'm so new to running (less than a year) that I don't know what's a big deal and what isn't. I think the knee could be a big deal, and I'm in no rush, because I want to be running the rest of my life.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Oh Mighty Wing

can you describe the knee pain? as in where is it??
                            brain is still half frozen from standing outside of walmart with dd selling girlscout cookies . Erika, I wish those were my horses. My grandfather raised Arabians while I was little and changed to Shetlend ponies when I was a teen Angry I did however have thoughts of taking one for a ride since I do know how to ride bare back. My girlfriend was all with me on the idea however I'm a chicken lol (not that I would do that for real) Nice run Lou!! Hopefully you can do it tomorrow Bugs! I hope you're not getting sick!! As for running Fargo more like a training run before Grandmas, why not. Personally I think it's a great idea! Good luck on your long run tomorrow Dave!! Hope to hear the knee cooperates and stays quiet! Hope you enjoyed your rest day Smile Sorry to hear about the tightness in legs on todays run Kimmie. I don't know about you but that happens to me if I have too much unscheduled time off. Rub them out good tonight and if your running tomorrow keep it nice and easy. HAPPY BIRTHDAY and hope you guys have a GREAT NIGHT tonight!!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Hey guys, First, my apologies for joining the group and then acting like I didn't. Me joining coincided with some weird knee issues and so I went 5 days or so without a run and had nothing to post except what would have sounded like a bunch of whining because I've been so -- AAAAGGGHHHH -- about the knee. Didn't feel the need to bother you guys with it, and thanks for allowing that short little mini-vent. Anyway, ran a couple miles Thursday and then 4.2 today. I'm very slow compared to you guys, but the knee felt pretty good during the run and I put ice on it when I got home. I found out there may be an opening at the Myrtle Beach half and don't know how ready I'd be cardio wise and knee wise to run 13+ in 2 weeks. Thoughts?
                              Knee pain is a PIA!! I've learned that is one injury (at least for me) that can't really be run through. Is the pain on the inside or outside of the knee?? When I had issue's it was from ITB so lots of stretching as well as icing really helped as well as not running if the pain wasn't just a little (totally sucks Sad ) I'm not sure whether doing the Half would be smart (depends on the knee).

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

theyapper

On the road again...

can you describe the knee pain? as in where is it??
                                I can push on my knee all day long and feel no pain, but when I run I start to feel it more in the front outer part of the knee. If I start walking, the pain goes away. Run, it comes back. The last 2 runs there's not been any pain. I have cut way back on the distance, though. 2 and 4 miles.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul