Marathon Trainers

Week of 1/26 (Read 314 times)

Oh Mighty Wing

I can push on my knee all day long and feel no pain, but when I run I start to feel it more in the front outer part of the knee. If I start walking, the pain goes away. Run, it comes back. The last 2 runs there's not been any pain. I have http://www.runningahead.com/groups/CRMarathonTrainers/Forum/Post/1537208ba9304012be268dafdfaa5d2c/quotecut way back on the distance, though. 2 and 4 miles.
    ok if you try these: And put the leg of the knee that hurts behind the other leg, bend over and reach toward the back foot. Can you feel any or all of those stretches??
      I can push on my knee all day long and feel no pain, but when I run I start to feel it more in the front outer part of the knee. If I start walking, the pain goes away. Run, it comes back. The last 2 runs there's not been any pain. I have cut way back on the distance, though. 2 and 4 miles.
      That sounds like ITB (though I'm not a doctor). I'm sorry you're having knee issue's !

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Bugs

Kim, Sorry to hear about the LR issues. Dancing in three hours in high heel boots? oh you're crazy. I'm so careful with my feet I only wear flats. Fargo is May 9th, Grandmas June 20th. I've never even ran two marathons in one year, so I'll really be busting out of my shell this time. You know it's not too late for you and Shan (any anyone else) to sign-up for Grandmas, still is open.

Bugs

Oh Mighty Wing

Kim, Fargo is May 9th, Grandmas June 20th. I've never even ran two marathons in one year, so I'll really be busting out of my shell this time. You know it's not too late for you and Shan (any anyone else) to sign-up for Grandmas, still is open.
          ugh so I can't do either of them... the whole needing to travel on a plane during the school year thing makes it really really tough!!! I can't take ANY personal days this year because I need them for september... stupid job inflexibility!!! Bugs you can totally do both!!! Oh and have I mentioned I've signed up for my next (date wise anyway) marathon??? March 29th!!!! I'm SOOO EXCITED!!!
          Cashmason

Kimmie, Happy Birthday! Yapper, if the pain is on the outside of the knee where the bump is, its probably IT band. If its the front of the knee cap its something else I cant spell. Your heart and lungs get used to running first, then the muscles, the tendons and joints tend to take longer, but we run faster because the lungs and muscles can do it. = injury to the tissues that arent built up yet. Welcome back Peach.
            Kimmie

Just going to throw a little more advice your way, yapper.... Do you weight train? I'm sure others here will agree with me... weight training is one of the best ways to prevent injuries. I know we have only limited time and we always want to make it all about the running, but if you can squeeze in some bare minimum exercises, it would be a huge difference. Ok, I"m off to go look pretty.... Smile

Oh Mighty Wing

I know for me when my knee hurts in that same spot it's not necessarily my IT or at least not all of it. But doing the stretches is what I do to keep my stuff in order. I rarely ever have issues any more. Try those stretches - i'm a big fan. AND run backwards for 30-60 seconds after all of your runs. my 2 cents anyway.
                theyapper

On the road again...

Ok, let me see if I can answer all these great responses... When I do those stretches, what do you mean by can I feel them? Do they hurt? No, they just feel like they're working. Yes, I do weight train and have been doing leg curls and extensions. I have run backwards some and it feels good. Thanks for the tip.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Oh Mighty Wing

When I do those stretches, what do you mean by can I feel them? Do they hurt? No, they just feel like they're working.
                    if you can feel them then your muscles are tight and that's probably why your knee hurts. If I were you I would do them 2x a day until you can't really feel them stretching anything. Then probably just go to after runs or periodically. I do them after every run.
                    I have run backwards some and it feels good. Thanks for the tip.
                    I love backwards running!! Glad we could help!!!! Big grin And see aren't you glad you ranted!!!

Cause I CAN

I did 3 miles. in a running skirt which I decided for the first time. Did not care for picking it out of my butt the whole way....very cute I think if it wasnt for that problem Smile
                      Liver Transplant - July 2, 1991
                      http://terri7291.blogspot.com/

Bugs

ty66, There is a thread in the forums about runner's knee. Maybe read Nobby's comments. I'm kind of with Nobby that most pain is conditioning, your body getting use to being used. I hope it's not ITB (never had that) but seems people who fight that fight it always.

Bugs

Hail to The Victors!

Hope everyone is doing ok in these parts. It's been pretty sparse lately,so haven't had a lot of time for forums. Did 16ish today to get back over 50 for the week. Hamstring is fair to middlin, still sore until warmed up. Maybe I'll try some speed this week, it's been awhile since I've ran speed outside of a race (12/30). That is, if it doesn't snow more. We've had our 4th highest snow totals for January in Ann Arbor this month. 24.7 inches. Not a lot of snow compared to Erika or Bugs, but Ann Arbor usually gets snow, and then it melts. This year, the snow has just hung out since Jan 1. We need a week of 40s to really get this stuff to move...might be Feb 15 at this rate. Bayshore training starts in earnest this week, and the recovery for Disney comes to a close. I still don't have a training plan, other than Run often, sometimes fast, mostly slow. I still have to work on that...
                          theyapper

On the road again...

ty66, There is a thread in the forums about runner's knee. Maybe read Nobby's comments. I'm kind of with Nobby that most pain is conditioning, your body getting use to being used. I hope it's not ITB (never had that) but seems people who fight that fight it always.
                            Thanks, Bugs. I've been following that thread but hadn't seen Nobby's post yet. It really confirms what I've been thinking as far as how to proceed. Here are my next steps: 1. Stretch twice daily 2. Continue weight training 3. Continue running but slow down and go until I feel pain. Thoughts?

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

evanflein

Yapper, I'll add you need to do squats and lunges. The leg extensions, especially on the Nautilus (and similar) machines, teach your legs to do leg extensions. That's about it. It's not a move you normally do in daily life (or running). I've had both my orthopedic doc and a PT tell me this... Bugs, do 'em both! You're strong enough! (but I hope you're not getting sick!) Hey, did I ever tell you Lou and I had almost the same Boston finish time last year? Heheheh... It was a PR race for me, not so much for Lou. I was 3:38:48, he was 3:38: 25 (I think). This year, however, Lou is gonna be all showered and changed and wondering what takes me so long... Big grin Ok, late night post but this is the first time I'm able to get back to my computer. Hey, I hate the wind. Ran into it today and certainly wasn't expecting it. I'll deal with obnoxiously cold temps, but throw some wind in there and I'm ready to wuss out in a heartbeat! I met some headwind today at mile 7 but struggled thru it, knowing I'd turn around at mile 8.5 and have the rest of my run with it at my back! The goal of this run, if possible in the unplowed snow, was to maintain as close to MP as possible, target between 8:20 and 8:30 (to account for terrain and conditions). The point of this is because I'm usually really bad at consistent pacing. So... I think this run turned out ok. Mile Splits: Mile 1 8:30 Mile 2 8:30 Mile 3 8:30 Mile 4 8:30 Mile 5 8:28 Mile 6 8:29 (hill here) Mile 7 8:12 Mile 8 8:26 Mile 9 8:24 Mile 10 8:14 (last .1 at 8:14 pace) Temp was about -13F so not too bad, until I ran into that GD wind... I'd been in protected trails/bikepaths till then and didn't even realize it was windy! (ok, I am a wimp... it was prolly 5 mph or so, but at -13 that packs a punch!)

Oh Mighty Wing

Erika - AWESOME job!!! That is very consistant (at least in my eyes!!). And I can't imagine liking wind in those temps. I barely like the wind here!