Marathon Trainers

Week of 2/15/10 and recovery from a cancelled marathon (Read 179 times)

Kimmie

Erika-  I was going to run Myrtle Beach as a training run and then wait for my cousin (who's an 11 minute miler) to help him finish the end.   So, not a goal race.... disappointed, but not as much as I would have been had this been last year with Myrtle Beach being my big goal marathon.

Great run tonight with my group!!   So much fun to run with them.  8:40 average pace - around 5 miles- in the dark- dodging cars, dealing with ice, fun stuff.   That's faster than I've been running... so I just need to do this faster running once or twice a week and it will help me so much, I know.  I think I just get lazy with the pace or I think I can't speed up.  But, if  you think you're going to get left behind in the dark... that's a surefire way to keep the speed up!  Smile

Paul-  re: hotels-   I think I said this before, my husband works in Rosslyn, so I know that area.  In fact, I could park at his work and ride the METRO over with you all... just an idea.  The hotel that he puts clients in the Hyatt Rosslyn  on Wilson Blvd.   Like Dave said, maybe not cheap, but it is a fun area- and only one block to the METRO.  maybe 15 minutes ride on the METRO to the start of National.

Bugs, hope you're feeling better.

theyapper

On the road again...

Thanks for the hotel help, everyone.  Kim, I googled Hyatt Roslyn and got Hyatt Arlington.  I'm assuming those are the same, right?  AAA rate is around 110 and I'm splitting with someone so it wouldn't be too bad.  Meeting up and riding in would be cool.  Always good to be with someone who knows where to go.  

I really can't wait.  I'd love to go under 2 hours and feel like I could, but this will be my RP's first half, so my goal isn't that big a deal.  At least I'll get to see the city and meet a bunch of you guys.  We'll head home right after lunch, I guess.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Kimmie

Hyatt Arlington is the same, yes.

It will be so cool to see everybody.  Maybe it will work out for Dave and Pam to come too.

Debating on stair stepping versus running on the mill in a little bit.   Just wonder if it's equivalent to hill running....

Bugs

Going to doctor today.

? 4 u all: A doctor in town has been organizing a new sports club for TRI and Runner people. About 120 people have joined. Turns out Ragnar will give money to a club, if you register under a club. The amount varies based on the # of teams. Say 3 teams, is $400. We think there will be four ragnar teams that can register under the club. The club is new, but already has sponsors, but I don't have any idea on the financials, or fees. I think he wants to setup as LLP, so he can't be sued if someone dies on a group swim, etc.. So what do you think the club should do with the money from Ragnar? The doc says he doesn't care, but it is free money so we my as well get it. Ragnar is expensive and I know some people would like some of it back to cover fees. Doc suggested a party, or charity, but even what charity is a debate. IMO, the money belongs to the club, and at a club meeting, someone puts a suggestion on the table, there is a discussion, and a vote. Other think doc and team leaders should decide. What do you think?

Bugs

evanflein

Does the club have a board of directors or steering committee? They should decide, but could take suggestions from the club as a whole. Opening up to everyone shouting out what they want would just be chaos, hard to make a decision and nobody happy with the result. Or they could take suggestions, pick the top three or so and send out for a vote with a firm deadline for response. Just ideas. Sounds cool! (no strings attached to the Ragnar money? that seems odd)

You guys are going to have fun at National. I'm pouting way up here!

Would love to have you down, Erika, but of course the cost would be prohibitive.  It'll be good to see you at Boston, though.  Hopefully I won't be manning the water stop.

I'll be at National with PDR but not sure if I'll be able to run.  Had a bit of a setback yesterday, and will have to reassess my spring races.  

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Kimmie

What's going on Lou?

Sorry to hear about a setback... that's a bummer.

Bugs- I agree with Erika about spending the $$.  I've never heard of relays giving money to groups.   Our group is running the American Odyssey Relay.  I'm pretty sure there's no money being given.

Our club uses money to donate to the local high school for use of their track and to support the track team.  Also, we support an organization that helps maintain the W/OD trail that we all run on.

Just got back from an intense 8 miler-  super hilly, but I need to do more of it.  I was the slowest one of the group and I needed to stop beating myself up on slowing them down.  But at least I did it.   Just got to keep those hill workouts coming.

evanflein

{{Lou}} I'm sure you'll figure it out. I hope so.

Nice run, Kimmie. Very rarely does an entire group all run the same pace. Don't worry about it. You're getting good workouts and will benefit immensely from them. Yes, do more.

9.1 miles on the treadmill last night, including some half mile repeats. First 4 @ 8:13 pace (7.3 mph), second set of 4 @ 8:00 pace (7.5 mph). Had a two mile warm up, .2 mile recoveries and 1.5 mile cool down, all at 8:49 (6.8 mph). A good workout although I'd wanted to run outside. We're having such nice weather this week it's a shame to miss it, but it just got too late and dark. If I had lighted sidewalks or trails to run on, that would be one thing. But it's a mix of dark subdivision roads (no streetlights), dark bike paths, shoulders of busy roads with slick spots and traffic. So... wasn't in the mood to deal with it last night, even with temps in the mid-20's.

Today is another nice mild day and would be perfect for an outdoor run at lunchtime. But I didn't pack the right stuff (duh) so back to the gym for 4 easy today. Rats.

theyapper

On the road again...

Lou - hope you recover well, and that it happens faster than you think.  I know you've got to be frustrated.

Got a nice 45 min tempo run.  I am way too removed from fast running, but I did squeeze 15 min @ 8:35 pace in the middle of the run.  It was a push, but good to do every now and then (I guess).  It was a nice feeling to finish this run and still be alive. 

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Well, Wednesday I set out to do 10, maybe a little fast, looking for 8:40's or so.  I felt fine for the first 5 miles.  Then my ham/adductor tightened a bit.  At 5.9, I'd call it "sore", and I slowed way down.  I did a few more cul-de-sacs and decided to head straight home.  At 7 it was time to walk it in the last quarter mile.

So it seems I need some more rest.  At this point I would say I'm "doubtful" for National and possibly for Boston as well, but who knows -- maybe in a couple of weeks I'll be all healed up and rearing to go.

I'm a little cranky about it.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Kimmie

sorry to hear that Lou.   I do hope that it's a quick fix and you're still able to run Boston.

I had a crappy run.... set out to do 18, could only manage 11.   My stomach was just torn up.  I feel like I made a big mistake with dinner last night and I should have known better.  Ate a Gyro platter at a Greek restaurant.   

Problem is, I never know what's going to bug the stomach.   My only excuse is that I'm not used to doing my long run on Fridays.    Not sure if I can/should try again tomorrow morning.   We are watching my friends 3 little girls for the weekend, which is why I attempted to long run this morning.

My group is running tomorrow, more of those hills, more loops.....  just don't know.... but if I don't get some long runs in, then I definitely don't want to do Boston.

Bugs- how are you feeling?  Did you go to the Dr.?

Bugs

I went to the Y at lunch and lifted some weights and did not knock me off my feet like it did on Monday.

Lou,

Sorry your fighting that abductor. How about getting some PT for it?

Kim,

Thanks for asking. Doc gave me presidone, steroid for my lungs, always helps me. Just a little cold left and occassional coughing, but I have energy! Seems I've learned just to give illness more time and not fight it. I'm going to try adding in some 30 minute runs.

RP is still not running, doesn't even know exactly what is wrong. Chriopractor said disk injury, but said he did everything she could. It is just so bad, all runners in town are making plans, like for ragnar, sigining up for marathons, but if you've not run for 7 weeks and still can't jog a few steps without pain I wouldn't want to sign up for anything. I'm just worried it is a ruptured disk and it is going to take surgery. I promised her I would bike with her every Saturday until she is running again. To me friend is more important than training, although biking EASY before LR has been working good for me. The times I was injured and alone aquajogging I always wished I had a friend with.

Bugs

So sorry to hear this Lou (((((((HEALING VIBES)))))) sending your way!!! I sure hope to see you at Boston!

Glad your doing better Bugs!!

What Erika said Kimmie as far as group run etc Smile  Are you enjoying the hills?

Well I ended up taking an unplanned day of rest yesterday.  DD had an ortho appointment which had me frazzled. Stress and me running don't go hand in hand. I've learned over the past few years I'm better off not running. Anyway turns out  Katie is in a group of 7-10 % that have an extra bone in their ankle. It's not attached to any big bones it just "floats" anyway it's pinching nerves/tendons causing tissue damage so they put her in a short leg cast for 3 weeks. Best scenerio everything heals and that's the end of it. Worst case scenerio is that she has repeat flair ups and they have to remove the bone. She definitely is my daughter lol.

Anyway got 13 miles of hills today. RP had planned on adding the big hills in with the 10 miles worth of mostly rolling however her knee started having issue's and she felt it best not to push it so we ran the extra miles elsewhere. Great run. Got 20 miles on tap for Sunday (with running group) and I may or may not get a short run in tomorrow. Not sure I'll be able to. Depends on if dh will be home to watch the kids during the daylight hours.

TGIF and hope everyone has a great weekend!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Bugs

Pam,

Sorry about DD and cast. At least they figured out quickly.

Candace thinks she is pacing at Mankato. Would be fun to run with her. Wonder if she could run as slow as me.

Bugs

evanflein

BUGS!!! That prednisone is wonderful stuff, but be careful! It'll make you feel like Super Woman and you'll go out and injure yourself and not realize it until the drugs wear off. That was me last spring. Doc gave me a double-script of it for my sciatica. I proceeded to spend hours doing heavy yard, garden and housework I had no business doing and could really feel it when the drugs were gone. Just a word of warning... sounds like you've had it before but a reminder doesn't hurt.

Pam, sorry to hear about your DD's goofy ankle. Amazing it hasn't caused problems before this. If it's an extra bone, what needs to heal? Seems like if that's the case then it is what it is, and she'll need to learn to deal with it or have it removed. Maybe the cast is to stabilize things for awhile? Hope she's feeling better soon!

Kimmie, I tried a long run combined with hills a couple of weeks ago with disastrous results. I was sore and out of sorts for almost a full week. Nothing damaged, just sore. Last weekend's long run was important so I made a conscious decision to run it easy and mostly flat (or flatter than before), and it made a big difference. I got through all 17 miles at a good pace with minimal soreness. You've got time, get some long runs in and make them easy: avoid speed and hills, just go for distance. That's gonna be my plan for all of them, I think.

As for Boston, this will probably be my last. While nobody wants to do badly or have a sucky run, it's important (for me) to remember it's the prize, the hard work was qualifying with a good time. Enjoy the prize and have fun! I've got more races to run after Boston, so want to finish it happy and ready to go for more. That's my attitude, yours may be different. (talkin' to all you Boston-bound Team Blister folks here)

I realize that may sound preachy. I hope it doesn't. I can also say this having trained my butt off for my first Boston and it's still my PR course. But last year's disaster put things in perspective, and this year is going to be different.