Marathon Trainers

Week of 2/15/10 and recovery from a cancelled marathon (Read 179 times)

the bone( I was told it's a floating bone ) is impinged between the ankle bone and the shin bone and has caused damage to the surrounding tissue. Not everyone that has this extra bone ever has this problem. Kate just happens to take after me. If the problem does recur again  more than likely she'll end up having surgery to remove the bone.

Boston is a 1 time thing for me. I really don't like big marathons HOWEVER I can't help but do it once since I did qualify. I've got a lot more racing in me after Boston. I of course would love to PR there but that's not the main goal  for me.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Bugs

BUGS!!! That prednisone is wonderful stuff, but be careful! It'll make you feel like Super Woman and you'll go out and injure yourself and not realize it until the drugs wear off. That was me last spring. Doc gave me a double-script of it for my sciatica. I proceeded to spend hours doing heavy yard, garden and housework I had no business doing and could really feel it when the drugs were gone. Just a word of warning... sounds like you've had it before but a reminder doesn't hurt.ained my butt off for my first Boston and it's still my PR course. But last year's disaster put things in perspective, and this year is going to be different.

Well geez, never thought about my new energy being from the steroids. Not so worried about getting a running injury but if the drug is masking me being sick, thus more energy today, that could be bad as I might land myself sick again. Okay I'll try to take it easy, but damn I want to run, and will tomorrow, feel like I've waited long enough. i checked my logs, never have I let myself have two weeks off, always just one.

Your training so smart for Boston. Training isn't just running, it is XTing when you should XT, it is not running when you are sick, and dealing with the card your dealt in training. You're a smart woman, PR or not PR at Boston, vengeance will be yours at Boston.

Bugs

Cashmason

Pam,

Hope your daughter heals without surgery.

Lou,  I understand your pain.   Did a half couple weeks ago.  Felt great till mile 4.  Then left calf cramped,  mile 9 right calf cramped.  Mile 11 had to walk the last 2 miles.  Did shuffle the last  .1 so finish line camera wouldnt catch me walking.

Tried to run 3 miles  Tuesday.  Got to mile 2 and had to shut it down.

Frustrated with not being able to train running.   Dunno if teaching all the cycling is hurting the running.

Bugs hope you feel better soon.

evanflein

Thanks, Bugs. I can't wait till we can run a race together.

Cash, could be... but maybe lack of specific running training is more to blame?

40 min pool running after work today. Felt good to be in there after a hectic week. Very quiet today, too. Sure wish I could plan those nice "runs," but you never know who will show up...

theyapper

On the road again...

I did 2.6 recovery miles yesterday.  It was a pretty sucky run - legs were very stiff after the fast tempo run the day before.  I'm heading out in about 2 hours for an 11 miler with the guy who's coming to Nationals with me.  It'll be his first half.  Cool thing about him is that it was my running over the last almost 2 years that motivated him to start running.  He's a great guy - can't wait for you guys to meet him.

Erika - I watch how you're running and think you'll have no problems this year at Boston.  You have really trained wisely and it'll show.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Cashmason

Cash, could be... but maybe lack of specific running training is more to blame?

Yes Erika.     That would be a major contributor.
                Sorry, Cash -- yeah it's frustrating.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

evanflein

10 miles, 8:19 avg pace, outside in the bright sunshine and 32°F temps. It was awesome!

Dave

There's quite a few folks on here that I'm looking forward to running with.  I can only check off a few (Lou, Jeremy, Kim (briefly at the start of National last year),  Perry, and Jelly).  I'm disappointed that I won't make National this year.

Hope you feel better Lou, Bugs, Pam and Cash.  Lots of injuries out there right now.  I've cleverly avoided them by not running .  

Trying to get a few miles in the next week or so and then I'll be on another 2 week break.  4 treadmill yesterday.  A little more than 5 outside today.  Snow arrives tonight.

MTA:  I'll be in Fort Lauderdale this week.  Anyone down there?

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Bugs

Made it 2 miles, like trying to run while having an asthma attack. Crud is in my lungs but otherwise I feel good.

Bugs

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Dave, hope you have some fun outdoor running in Florida.

Lou and Cash, sorry to hear about the injury struggles;  hope they're brief.

It's warm and sunny here -- like Erika's report, only higher temp number... Nice running weather.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

evanflein

MTA:  I'll be in Fort Lauderdale this week.  Anyone down there?

What a coincidence! My DH is there now! He's there for a conference but not sure where. He got in last night and called me from his hotel balcony, overlooking the Atlantic ocean, drinking coffee and soaking up the warmth. He said he's not coming home. 

Dave

It's amazing how conferences seem to show up there in February .

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Hail to The Victors!

Boston is a 1 time thing for me. I really don't like big marathons HOWEVER I can't help but do it once since I did qualify. I've got a lot more racing in me after Boston. I of course would love to PR there but that's not the main goal  for me.

Yeah, that's kind of how I'm approaching it right now.  It's so hard to train for in the middle of winter like this.  My training has been inconsistent enough that I'm just going out to have fun and set things up for the fall.

Cashmason

He said he's not coming home. 

Tell him to get his sun tanned butt back to Fairbanks,  or I will move in until he comes back.