Marathon Trainers

Week of 6/30 to July 6... Happy Independence Day! (Read 150 times)

evanflein

Ok, I'll start the new week just so MrInertia won't feel he has to always do it. But I haven't run yet, so we'll start the week with a non-run post! Big grin And a short work week it is, only three days for me! Shan, congratulations on your monthly mileage PR, that's wonderful! And I hope you feel good and ready for more... right? The "Wave Run" is supposed to be like a longer series of intervals... you get the speed workout and the long run, without totally wearing yourself out (that's the theory at least). I did my faster miles too fast, and the wind really made some of them hard. It was good to try it though, and I know a little bit more about what to expect for the next time I do it. Today's run will be just 4 recovery paced miles. I'm going to add Monday running on most weeks this summer and fall to help get weekly mileage up. Hard to get more than 50 miles when you only run 5 days a week... DS2 got on a plane at 6 a.m. to spend a week at soccer camp in Oregon. This is where the kids who made the Alaska team go to the regional camp where they hope to be picked for the regional team. From there, they hope to make the national team... If DS2 makes regional I'll be delighted. I've seen those kids from So. Cal and AZ though... the competition will be tough. I plan on getting a lot of work done around the house and yard this week. Having one less teenage boy in the house should help... Although I'll miss his strong back and legs for the yard work part. DS1 will be available though... lucky kid. What are all of you planning on doing to celebrate the 4th?

Oh Mighty Wing

Erica - it seems like a good idea! Maybe one day if I can figure out how to control myself I will be able to try that! It's ok you went too fast it's your first try. You are right now you know what to expect! And oh yes I am ready for more!!! I think my plans might involve a race... can I on whim do a race? how do I know what distance? My options are 5, 10, and 15K... how do I know which one I should do? Would it be stupid to do the 15K based on the fact that my long run for the week should be 10mi?
      evanflein

A 15k is just about 9.3 miles in distance, but the thing to watch here is the effort. Your 10 mile long run would probably be done at an easy pace, whereas your race (even if you say you're doing it as a training run) will be much more of an effort so more of a workout, actually. You might be better off with a 10k, and include a warm-up and cool-down run to get your full miles. But it's really up to you... just don't hurt yourself! 4.3 miles today, a little more than easy pace but I sure felt slow... 8:38 avg, and got me to 177.5 for the month of June. I'm hoping July and August are both over 200... Seems like summer is going fast!

Oh Mighty Wing

wow that is some mileage!!! I'm sure you will hit whatever goal you set for yourself! About the race, I was thinking the same thing about the effort so I think I will play it by ear and see how it goes. I might not run it at all in which case ll my worrying is moot. So i'm just gonna see how it goes!
          Cashmason

No running yet. Might do some later tonight. June was a very low run volume month, but new record on the swim yardage, and close to a record on the bike. Shan, you should do fine on any of the runs for your 4th of July. Like Erika said, the 15k at race pace would probably be a challenge, but you could do it. I signed up for a 10k on the 4h of July. Can't beat a 6 dollar entry fee. No T shirt unless you wanted to pay 10 dollars more. I have enough T shirts. Not chip timed, but a fun race non the less. After that picking up a friend at the hospital who will have surgery for a broken collarbone. Don't think he needs the surgery, but he wants it, as that will motivate his g/f to come down from Canada. After that a party a hour from here where it will be over 100 degrees. At least they have a nice pool, and air conditioning inside.

Oh Mighty Wing

wow cash that's a busy 4th!! But sounds like it should be fun! You guys forget that I'm not sure what race pace is yet! Smile

Happy Camper

10-miles running yesterday morning followed by 25-miles on the bike. Nice being on vacation this week even if it is going to be spent at home. DS1 flight was cancelled yesterday so we are hoping he makes it in this morning. I'm up early to get the run done before the drive to the airport in KC. Hope to bike again this afternoon/evening. 4-miler race on the 4th followed by a few extra after the race. Saturday I hope to do my first longrun in a month. Group is running part of the Heart of America Course. Run starts at 5:30 AM so I will have to get out of the vacation sleep mode. I will also have to be good during the 4th of July festivities.

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

I'm heading upto "The Good Life" (Nebraska) for the 4th. Dad and I are racing a 10k on the 4th in some tiny town in the middle of nowhere. It's titled "The Best Road Race by a 'Dam' Site", because I guess you run over a dam. The rest of the family (DW's and mine) think we're crazy for getting up at 5:00 on the 4th to drive 100 miles for a race, but they still can't comprehend why I chose to run 26.2 either. Does anyone here actually have a family that thinks they're sane? Come to think of it, I think I'm crazy too . . . oh well. The best part, the dewpoint is usually 10-15 degrees lower up in NE. Lows in the lower 60s, that'll be sweet. Oh, DW had her first Dr. appt for the new baby yesterday. She has twins all over her family, and we managed to dodge the gene with DS, so I was a bit concerned. Good news, there's only one in there, and he/she is doing fine. Now, if we could just get rid of that crazy morning sickness. -Brian

Oh Mighty Wing

Brian - that's very exciting that baby is doing well! Sorry to hear about the morning sickness!! I hope your 4th race goes well! Pace - wow sounds like you have a lot of stuff going on! I hope you are enjoying vacation! Good luck behaving on the 4th!

Dave

Brian, glad to hear the good news on what sounds like only 1 healthy baby. One of my co-workers has quads Shocked if you can imagine such a thing. Cash, great story on your friend. Not sure I've even been so desperate for a girlfriend that I would get surgery just to see her. That's some real commitment. No big plans for the 4th for me. May take the family to a minor league stadium close to my house for a game and fireworks. Part of my running issues were because a house full of sick kids (just a summer cold/flu bug). Got a bit of it myself and will take a couple of days off running just to make sure. Logged just short of 100 miles last month. Not quite my goal but much better.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Bugs

186.4 Mi in June for me. Felt like I was hardly running for so long. Shan, agree with what everyone said. Go with how your legs feel. Brian, good news on healthy solitare baby. Smile Erika, I hear you on over 50 is tough to get on 5 days a week. I'd like to peak at 60ish, but at some point I know it safer to go to more runs. Although part of me would like to do doubles on one day, and still just run 5 days a week. My workouts are not as creative as you, seems I do pace runs, LRs, or easy. But since I've been adding miles guess that is OK. Do you pick what type of workout you do by random? P2R, going up north for a vacation again this year? 8K on the fourth for me. All my running friends are doing it. We're all friends, but we all want to beat each other. Big grin

Bugs

evanflein

Bugs, those are the best kind of friends! I pick my workouts based on a loose plan... I'm adding Monday as a "recovery" run day, so slower pace and shorter distances, rarely see that going over 4-5 miles. Tuesdays I like to do Tempo runs, but sometimes switch that to Thursdays. Wednesdays are my medium-long-run days, mainly because there are no soccer games (usually) on Wednesdays. I'll also throw different things into this MLR run, like hills or fartleks, sometimes tempo miles especially if I didn't do much tempo on Tuesday... Thursdays are usually easy runs, but I'll almost always go too fast. Also will do hills if I didn't on Wednesday... Fridays are usually rest days cuz that's also "date night" Smile . Saturdays are "pace runs" where I try to practice holding a certain pace... Sundays are long runs, usually the 3:1 fast finish but I'll be trying the "wave" thing again later, too. Nice mileage, Bugs. Guess I missed that you were running so much these days. I think I still had the old foot injury in my head. Good job! Husker-Brian, congrats on the singleton! Twins would be a handful on the best days! Have fun at your race... I think you're nuts too. I'll run just about anything, but I won't get up early and drive that far to do it! P2R have a great weekend... you do have a lot planned. Hi Cash! Our weather today is just dismal, so I'll probably crank out 5 miles on the treadmill after work. Like Dave I think I picked up something from DS2 who was sick last week. Just feeling kinda blech right now...

Oh Mighty Wing

so here's a question - WHERE IS MURPHY???? So my run was great! I was in that place where I felt like I could have run forever!!!! Unfortunately my intestines felt very different. oh well...

Bugs

Nice mileage, Bugs. Guess I missed that you were running so much these days. I think I still had the old foot injury in my head. Good job!
                              Thanks! I think I'm in a good spot training wise for marathon on 10/5. Doesn't sound like you have a lot of easy days. I would have dead legs trying to do so much, but I guess you have had many 50 mpw's in the last year.

Bugs

evanflein

Yeah, where is Murphy? 6 miles tonight, planned on easy, ended up with almost tempo pace of 8:14...