Marathon Trainers

Week of 1/5 (Read 355 times)

Bugs

Hey squirls, squirly people must be squirls right? Murphy, cool about the M&M. You are one without a doubt. Dave, thanks for the math lesson. I'm not quite that dumb my friend. Wink Shan, you funny girl, you use to piss and moan about running longer now 5 miles is a quick shake out. Love it. Ran 1.5 miles, phone rang, made supper, tried not to eat the crap my kids said was GREAT. (mac & cheese & fish sticks, cheap thrills.) Ran 5 miles, SLOW 10:20 pace on TM. Ended feeling great. (wrist is better too) Am officially poor. DS - 7 year old got his invitation to test for black belt. He is passing kids older then him that go to more classes. (Tae Kwon Doe is like running where you do it a lot to be really good.) There is actually two tests he has to pass. The first would be in town. The second is in the cities. I pray this little boy will be able to handle the nerves of testing in a new studio in front of strangers. He does a lot of practicing with his eyes closed, helps to remember the moves and perfect technique. I tried this with running, I can't recommend it. The test is $350, pass or fail. I think we will be doing lots of cramming.

Bugs

Cashmason

6.25 miles on the treadmill. Lou, I hurt my leg in the Long Beach Half. Ran all of 10 miles in Nov. Ran 33 miles in Dec. Have run 24 so far for 2009. But I train for triathlon, so I try to spend as much time on the bike and in the pool as I do running. Plus I teach an indoor cycle class at the gym a couple or 3 hours a week. So not planning on many marathons, although I still do 10k and halfs. G/f will make it into the NYC marathon this year as she has lost the lottery the last 3 years. I lost the last 2 years. If we get in, I will have to train for that.
        Cash - good to hear you can still bike and swim, and that your leg is getting better (I think you're saying that, right?) So for NYC - if two people want to get in to run together is it still lottery or is there some dispensation for couples? Also if you get in one year, can you defer to the following year if your SO doesn't get in that year? PDR and I are wondering about strategies to run it together (here, "together" means running the same race -- as our paces are different we rarely get to run shoulder to shoulder).

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Oh Mighty Wing

Bugs - the hilarity continues - yesterday I referred to this 10 mile race as a shorter race.
            You're coming along nicely, Shan. 5.1 miles, 47:40, 9:22/mi, AHR 136 33°F, light rain

Happy Camper

WRFB: 33°F and rain, very nice. Glad all of that went South of us as it headed East. Very nice to run in January without ice and snow on the ground. No run for me today as I try to get race ready for Saturday. Good runs for me on Monday and Tuesday.

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Kimmie

Great. Now I have another somewhat local on this board talking about running in this weather. rainy and cold sounds like the treadmill to me but I always feel tweaky after the treadmill, so maybe I can HTFU. P2R- Are you running the 10K or 20K? Do you have a goal? not sure what the schedule has for me today. This schedule has been a little too aggressive for me anyway. And I end up running quite a bit less than what's planned.

Dave

Kimmie, if it makes you feel any better, I'm probably going to swap my Wednesday and Thursday runs and hit the treadmill again today. Save the mid-distance for better weather. I'm sorry, it doesn't get much worse than 33F and rainy.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Oh Mighty Wing

Kimmie - I suggest you adjust your schedule before it gets you down and out. Looks like a good day for a run here!! Hopefully the rain will wash away some of the ice. Nice running we have going on here!!

Happy Camper

Kimmie: 10k on Saturday. I'm afraid the 20k would just end up being like a training run at this point. 10k would feel like racing. 46:56 is PR from 2007. Now I'd be happy with 48 - 50. Looking at last years times, I could DFL with this time. Pretty serious groups show up for races in early January when there are no t-shirts or awards going out. I'm looking forward to it. I've only raced once since October. New shoes get here tomorrow. Woohoo!

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Oh Mighty Wing

Pace - I am facing the same thing with my race. Most of the participants are running in the 7mm range - at least from last year... i'm gonna be back to the back of the pack...
                          I'm sorry, it doesn't get much worse than 33F and rainy.
                          I was very happy that it wasn't windy. Windy and 33° and rainy would be significantly worse. However, I don't have a TM option (and I'm not sure if I would use it anyway -- never got further than 3 miles on a TM), so it's a moot point. My feet did get quite wet after about mile 4, especially dodging the newspaper guy who cut a corner too tightly. I was upset with him and yelled, but he normally is very careful. Maybe I should wear a light or something, but the neighborhood is generally very quiet at that time of morning (I time my runs to finish at 6am).

Oh Mighty Wing

little bit of rain never hurt anyone

Bugs

33F is not bad, but if you get wet that's cold and it really does suck. Hard to not get wet. Nothing wrong with using TM. I used it more this year and my running is better for it. I don't know I'll get to run my HM this month. We were going to get hotel, but the Tae Kwon Doe expenses and training schedule has changed things. Will have to be a last minute decesion, as I'll have to drive up that morning from my brother's house, which is still over an hour away. All this fuss, really just to meet Nobby.

Bugs

Oh Mighty Wing

All this fuss, really just to meet Nobby.
                                I drove to Nashville - if you want it its worth it.