Marathon Trainers

How about those runs? (Read 239 times)

Oh Mighty Wing

I'm back - yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Went and bought running pants today which are ticker than the tights. So I wore black running pants, white long sleeve tech t, florescent yellow shell jacket, baseball hat, garmin, and white aciscs. I ran 2.44 miles. It was great!!! I just went out the door and ran I even cut through a little woody backyard! I got pretty hot though and had to unzip my jacket and unzip the neck of the tech t. But that is much better than my previous runs in the same temperature!! I'm so glad it went well!! Really got me excited to run! OH and should i pay any attention to the map the software shows me? Hope you all are getting good runs in!
    evanflein

What map? On the Garmin Training Center? Why would it matter? I have a problem with all those maps... mapmyrun does ok with the map, but can't give me elevation readings up here. I did e-mail them and they said they're working on it. The Garmin Training Center (GTC) maps sometimes have me running through the river, or through buildings... and I sure don't remember doing that! Congats on your run and yes, you'd be surprised how easy it is to overheat. I've always tried to dress for the end of my run, meaning you might be a little chilly at the start, but will be just fine later. I just have to watch my fingers and cheeks... I'll try to get out later today, but not feeling really great. Sore throat, coughing, cruddy sinuses, yuk. Merry Christmas right?
      Cashmason

8.5 miles today. Hips sore, which means IT bands not far behind. Easy run at low heart rate. Used the foam roller tonight, IT bands are are super tight, but not hurting yet. Half Marathon in ten days, I am sooooo not ready for it. Bike Time Trial race in late January, so biking will be the main focus after the half.

Oh Mighty Wing

Erica - I meant the map that shows pace vs. distance. It's on the screen when I loaded my run yesterday. Sorry to hear about the sinus yuck! That's no fun! Have you tried a netty pot? Friends of ours swear by them, but I have yet to try it. Cash - be careful!! You and your IT band worry me. Will it not act up with biking?

Dave

I'm hoping to get out for an easy 4 after being too sick to run over the last 4 or 5 days. Terrible seeing those 0's on my running log. More importantly, the family seems to be coming around and feeling better as well. Glad everyone is enjoying those new Garmins. Here's a link to the screenshots off of the Sporttracks program. Much more usefuiil in my opinion than the Garmin Trainer software. I like it well enough that I run it under Windows on my mac. http://www.zonefivesoftware.com/SportTracks/Demo/ScreenShots1.html Sorry about the sore hip, Cash. That was a precursor to some IT band stuff for me as well so I hope you rest up and heal.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Oh Mighty Wing

Thanks Dave! Glad you and yours are starting to feel a little better! I'm sure you will be back to rackin up the miles in no time! 3.94 miles today - for some reason gertie didn't track "lap1" as 1 mile she did it at .92... that stinker. I was running back and forth when I saw that I was home at 3.75 so I kept going up and back on the road and when it beeped I stopped assuming it was the 4th beep which is was... it just wasn't at 4 DOH!!! Oh well close enough to feel good about it! Much more consistant today except for the hills that I had to walk. Need to work on them! OH and I still over heated so ran half the run in pants and tank top... funny thing people were looking at me like I was crazy because it's 36F out! When i looked in the mirror at home I noticed that the beads of sweat on my forehead and eye brows had frozen... hehehe I must have looked funny, ice hanging off me and i'm in a tank top! oh well!!

Dave

5.4 today easy. I'm pretty pleased with it though. Probably my fastest run ever under my low HR target at just under 9 minute pace. But then again, I'm not any where near as strict as some of the more "dedicated" low heart rate folks. Certainly makes me feel good about running under 4 hours next time though. Stomach still a bit weak after all the holiday flu bug stuff but I pushed through it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Cashmason

17 mile bike ride today. Toes a bit numb, whats up with that. It was only 54 degrees. Not like this is Alaska or anything.

Bugs

Hi guys. Starting to get homesick, there's no place like home. ShanGen, your garmin has a name already? Wow, I have never used the map feature. Have you guys heard that Brad Paisley song, something like, "I'm so much cooler online"? My family says "It's my song." Smile

Bugs

Dave

Great to see you Bugs!! I'm sure you're plenty cool in person too Home is where your friends and family are and you've got quite a friends here. Blush

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Oh Mighty Wing

Bugs - you are cool!!! I bet you'd be just as cool offline! Her name came to me I couldn't help it LOL (crap i'm still a nerd Wink) Cash - were you laced too tight? thicker socks? Dgb - how's your stomach feeling? Question to the group - is it ok to run a long run on a day other than it's planned day? Does it really matter?
                        evanflein

Yeah! Bugs found us! And we're all very cool, don'cha know. Roll eyes Cash, you're such a wienie. But I'll bet the numb toes had nothing to do with temp. Sometimes just steady pressure on one part of your foot can do that... I get it on ellipticals sometimes. Odd that you haven't had it happen before? ShanHas, your legs don't really know what day of the week it is. Just make sure you allow for recovery if needed (ie, you may need to switch up other runs/rest days to pull it off). I'm getting a treadmill today! Yeah! DH got it for me for Christmas, and it should be delivered today. Now I have to decide if we're keeping the gym membership since I have so much stuff at home now... No hot tub though. Big grin Plan is 6-8 today, outside, it's only -2 out there now... but that's the forecast high for the day.

Dave

I used to do quite a few miles on the bike when I was much younger. Numb toes were the least of my problem. Saddles cause much more numbness than pedals if that's not being too crass. Shocked Family seems to have entirely recovered today. Much, much better. Thanks for all the concern. Just got back from 6.5 with two at tempo pace. Freakishly warm today (mid 50's) but calling for mixed precip tomorrow. Now if someone can drag MrInertia over... Who else are we missing? Shan, I'm not sure it matters too much when you do your long run as long as you get one in most weeks and it doesn't interfere too much with your general plan. Then again, I'm the knucklehead who ran his first marathon with nothing over 15 under my belt ...

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Cashmason

Yay Bugs is here! Erika, you wish I was a wienie... wink Can't wear thicker socks as the bike shoes fit like gloves. They use velcro and buckle system, not shoe laces so cant' get to tight on the toes, only over the instep. I think it was the temps, plus wind, and I ride a lot faster than you run, so more of a wind chill factor. Running in that temp is no problem at all, and I have run in 33 degree temps in shorts, short sleeve shirt and thin socks and not felt cold except for my hands. For me a gym membership is more than just the toys they have there, it is also social, plus a chance to get out of the house. If I see someone more than 6 times, I go up to them, stick out my hand to shake theirs and introduce myself. If its a woman, I make sure to mention my girlfriend so they know I am not hitting on them. That may not be important to the rest of you, but since I work from home, I don't meet many people during the day unless I make a point of going out.

Oh Mighty Wing

Erica - yeah treadmill!! Cash - so my dad works at home and at 12 he switches from PJ's to sweat pants. By switching I mean he changes the name. Before noon he calls them PJ's after noon he calls them sweats! So please keep going to the gym so you don't do that. Dave - no longer than 15? man i didn't run my 10K without doing 10 first.